Podcasts sur l'histoire

Breckinridge DD-148 - Histoire

Breckinridge DD-148 - Histoire

Breckinridge

(DD-148 : dp. 1154 ; 1. 314'5" ; né. 31'8" ; dr. 9' ; s. 35.2 k. ;
cpl. 122 ; une. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" TT.; cl. Wickes)

Breckinridge (DD-148) a été lancé le 17 août 1918 par William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co', Philadelphie, Pennsylvanie; parrainé par Mlle Genevieve Dudley Breckinridge, une nièce de l'enseigne Breckinridge, et commandé le 27 février 1919, commandant A. L. Bristol aux commandes.

Breckinridge a rejoint la Force de destruction de la flotte de l'Atlantique opérant au large de la baie de Guantanamo, à Cuba. Elle a été employée le long de la côte est principalement dans le développement et les tests de dispositifs de sonar jusqu'à sa mise hors service en réserve à Philadelphie le 30 juin 1922. Recommandé en mai 1930, Breckinridge a servi avec la Scouting Force US Fleet, le long de la côte est jusqu'à la fin de 1932. Elle a navigué pour le Pacifique où elle a servi avec la Force de scoutisme de l'Alaska à Pearl Harbor. En mai 1936, il est affecté à l'Escadron d'entraînement 10 et opère le long de la côte est et dans les eaux cubaines jusqu'en septembre 1936, date à laquelle il est mis hors service en réserve. Après trois ans hors de service à Philadelphie, il a été remis en service en septembre 1939 et a servi avec la division 66, escadron de l'Atlantique, sur la patrouille de neutralité. En décembre 1940, il a été affecté à la station de patrouille côtière, CZ après mai 1941 Breckinridge.ge était basé à Key West, en Floride, patrouillant et menant des expériences sous-marines et des exercices programmés.

Breckinridge a opéré sous le commandant, Caribbean Sea Frontier, sur des devoirs de patrouille et d'escorte jusqu'en décembre 1943 quand elle a été affectée aux pieds de l'Atlantique. Elle a rejoint TG 21.13, un groupe de chasseurs-tueurs, le 14 janvier 1944 pour les balayages anti-sous-marins de MidAtlantic. En revenant à Norfolk le 27 février après une opération sans incident, TG 21.13 a été dissous et Breckinridge a procédé à Boston pour la révision. Le 22 mars 1944, il retourne à Norfolk et se présente à la TF 6Fo pour escorter un convoi à travers l'Atlantique. Parti le 24 mars 1944, le convoi atteint la Méditerranée sans interférence. Cependant, dans la nuit du 11 au 12 avril, de nombreux avions allemands attaquent le convoi, infligeant des dommages à Hollder.

Breckinridge est retourné à Boston le 11 mai 1944. Le 27 mai, il s'est présenté au poste de commandant de la frontière de la mer des Caraïbes et a opéré à proximité de Guantanamo Bny, à Cuba, jusqu'au 7 février 1945, date à laquelle il est revenu au service avec la flotte de l'Atlantique. Après avoir subi une révision au Boston Navy Yard entre le 10 février et le 31 mars, il a commencé ses opérations à New London, Conn, en tant que navire amiral de la division Destroyer 54.

Le 30 juin 104,5 Breckinridge a été reclassé AG 112 auxiliaire divers. Le 24 août, il se présente au Commandant de la Division porteuse 12, pour le devoir de garde d'avion et de navire d'escorte. Breckinridge a fonctionné à ce titre jusqu'à sa mise hors service le 30 novembre 1945. Il a été vendu le 31 octobre 1946.

Breckinridge a reçu une étoile de bataille pour son service pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale.


Breckinridge DD-148 - Histoire

(DD-148 : dp. 1154 1. 314'5" b. 31'8" dr. 9' s. 35,2 k. cpl. 122 a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" TT. cl. Wickes )

Breckinridge (DD-148) a été lancé le 17 août 1918 par William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co', Philadelphie, Pennsylvanie parrainé par Mlle Genevieve Dudley Breckinridge, une nièce de l'Ensign Breckinridge, et commandé le 27 février 1919, le commandant AL Bristol en commander.

Breckinridge a rejoint la Force de destroyers de la flotte de l'Atlantique opérant au large de la baie de Guantanamo, à Cuba. Elle a été employée le long de la côte est principalement dans le développement et les tests de dispositifs de sonar jusqu'à sa mise hors service en réserve à Philadelphie le 30 juin 1922. Recommandé en mai 1930, Breckinridge a servi avec la Scouting Force US Fleet, le long de la côte est jusqu'à la fin de 1932. Elle a navigué pour le Pacifique où elle a servi avec la Force de scoutisme de l'Alaska à Pearl Harbor. En mai 1936, il est affecté à l'Escadron d'entraînement 10 et opère le long de la côte est et dans les eaux cubaines jusqu'en septembre 1936, date à laquelle il est mis hors service en réserve. Après trois ans hors de service à Philadelphie, il a été remis en service en septembre 1939 et a servi avec la division 66, escadron de l'Atlantique, sur la patrouille de neutralité. En décembre 1940, il a été affecté à la station de patrouille côtière, CZ. Après mai 1941, Breckinridge était basé à Key West, en Floride, patrouillant et menant des expériences sous-marines et des exercices programmés.

Breckinridge a opéré sous le commandant, Caribbean Sea Frontier, sur des devoirs de patrouille et d'escorte jusqu'en décembre 1943 quand elle a été affectée aux pieds de l'Atlantique. Elle a rejoint le TG 21.13, un groupe de chasseurs-tueurs, le 14 janvier 1944 pour des ratissages anti-sous-marins au milieu de l'Atlantique. En revenant à Norfolk le 27 février après une opération sans incident, TG 21.13 a été dissous et Breckinridge a procédé à Boston pour la révision. Le 22 mars 1944, il retourne à Norfolk et se présente à la TF 6 pour escorter un convoi à travers l'Atlantique. Parti le 24 mars 1944, le convoi atteint la Méditerranée sans interférence. Cependant, dans la nuit du 11 au 12 avril, de nombreux avions allemands attaquent le convoi, infligeant des dommages à Hölder

Breckinridge est retourné à Boston le 11 mai 1944. Le 27 mai, il s'est présenté au poste de commandant du caribbean Sea Frontier et a opéré à proximité de la baie de Guantanamo, à Cuba, jusqu'au 7 février 1945, date à laquelle il est revenu au service avec la flotte de l'Atlantique. Après avoir subi une révision au Boston Navy Yard entre le 10 février et le 31 mars, il a commencé ses opérations à New London, Conn, en tant que navire amiral de la division Destroyer 54.

Le 30 juin 104,5, le Breckinridge a été reclassé en AG 112 auxiliaire divers. Le 24 août, il se présente au Commandant de la Division porteuse 12, pour le devoir de garde d'avion et de navire d'escorte. Breckinridge a fonctionné à ce titre jusqu'à sa mise hors service le 30 novembre 1945. Il a été vendu le 31 octobre 1946.


USS Breckinridge DD-148

Demandez un paquet GRATUIT et obtenez les meilleures informations et ressources sur le mésothéliome qui vous sont livrées du jour au lendemain.

Tout le contenu est protégé par le droit d'auteur 2021 | À propos de nous

Publicité d'avocat. Ce site Web est sponsorisé par Seeger Weiss LLP avec des bureaux à New York, New Jersey et Philadelphie. L'adresse principale et le numéro de téléphone de la société sont 55 Challenger Road, Ridgefield Park, New Jersey, (973) 639-9100. Les informations sur ce site Web sont fournies à titre informatif uniquement et ne sont pas destinées à fournir des conseils juridiques ou médicaux spécifiques. N'arrêtez pas de prendre un médicament prescrit sans d'abord consulter votre médecin. L'arrêt d'un médicament prescrit sans l'avis de votre médecin peut entraîner des blessures ou la mort. Les résultats antérieurs de Seeger Weiss LLP ou de ses avocats ne garantissent ni ne prédisent un résultat similaire en ce qui concerne toute question future. Si vous êtes un détenteur légal de droits d'auteur et pensez qu'une page de ce site dépasse les limites de "l'utilisation équitable" et enfreint les droits d'auteur de votre client, nous pouvons être contactés concernant des questions de droits d'auteur à l'adresse [email protected]


Quels sont les numéros de modèle de la table Mersman ?

Les tables Mersman sont identifiées par les numéros à quatre chiffres situés sous le plateau. Mersman était une entreprise de fabrication de meubles populaire pendant plus d'un siècle. Au fil des ans, elle a fabriqué des millions de tables et d'autres articles.

L'entreprise a commencé comme une scierie au 19ème siècle avec plusieurs usines dans l'Indiana. J. B. Mersman a commencé à fabriquer des tables sous le nom de Mersman vers 1876 après avoir déménagé son entreprise en Ohio. Plus tard, l'entreprise s'est étendue à la fabrication de lits et de pièces de lit. Son entreprise a connu un tel succès que Celina, Ohio, lui a offert de l'argent pour y installer une usine. Bientôt, il a élargi sa gamme de produits en ajoutant des tables de salle à manger et de bibliothèque.

L'un des best-sellers Mersman dans les années 1920 s'appelait le "Davenport", connu sous le nom de table de canapé. La société a répertorié 139 types de tables de canapé en 1928, à des prix considérés comme chers à l'époque.

Ses autres produits comprenaient des tables à pattes, des armoires de table radio, des tables de bibliothèque et ce qui figurait parmi les premières tables basses.

Les tables ont été fabriquées avec des pieds en gommier et les plateaux ont été plaqués dans un certain nombre de finitions, notamment en bois de rose, en érable piqué, en ébène, en chêne russe, en acajou brun et en érable boursouflé.


Les camarades de classe de Joseph ont érigé une plaque en son honneur dans le Memorial Hall. Il se lit en partie : "À la fois sûr et inébranlable."

Le "Register of Commissioned and Warrant Officers of the United States Navy and Marine Corps" a été publié chaque année de 1815 jusqu'aux années 1970 au moins. n'est plus inclus. Les copies numérisées ont été examinées et les données saisies du milieu des années 1840 à 1922, lorsque des répertoires de la Marine plus fréquents étaient disponibles.

Le Navy Directory était une publication qui fournissait des informations sur le commandement, le logement et le grade de chaque officier de marine actif et à la retraite. Des éditions uniques ont été trouvées en ligne de janvier 1915 à mars 1918, puis de trois à six éditions par an de 1923 à 1940, l'édition finale date d'avril 1941.

Les entrées dans les deux séries de documents sont parfois énigmatiques et déroutantes. Ils sont souvent incohérents, même au sein d'une édition, avec le nom des commandes, cela est particulièrement vrai pour les escadrons d'aviation des années 1920 et du début des années 1930.

Les anciens élèves répertoriés dans la même commande peuvent avoir eu ou non des interactions importantes, ils auraient pu partager une cabine ou un espace de travail, avoir passé de nombreuses heures à veiller ensemble… ou, en particulier dans les commandes les plus importantes, ils pourraient ne pas se connaître du tout. L'information offre l'opportunité d'établir des liens qui sont autrement invisibles, cependant, et donne une vue plus complète des expériences professionnelles de ces anciens élèves dans Memorial Hall.


Le transport a effectué quatre autres voyages en France pour ramener les troupes à la maison, puis a été transféré dans le Pacifique, arrivant à San Francisco en janvier 1946. Un équipage de la Marine y a remplacé son équipage de la Garde côtière en février, probablement après avoir été sélectionné comme l'un des six navires. de sa classe pour être retenu dans la flotte commandée d'après-guerre. Après cinq voyages transpacifiques, entre octobre 1946 et janvier 1947 Général J.C. Breckinridge a ensuite été converti à Philadelphie pour un emploi en temps de paix, avec des installations spéciales pour les militaires à charge. Il a conservé son armement mais a perdu certains de ses canots de sauvetage. Breckinridge puis est revenu dans le Pacifique où il a maintenu un programme chargé de voyages entre la côte ouest des États-Unis et de nombreux points du Pacifique occidental.

En octobre 1949, tous les navires du service de transport naval ont été réaffectés au service de transport maritime militaire nouvellement créé (MSTS). En tant que navire subordonné sur le plan opérationnel au MSTS, il a été redésigné T-AP-176, mais parce qu'il s'agissait d'un navire commissionné avec un équipage de la Marine et non des civils, Général J.C. Breckinridge a conservé la désignation « USS » au lieu de devenir « USNS ».


Breckinridge c đặt lườn vào ngày 11 tháng 3 năm 1918 tại xưởng tàu của hãng William Cramp & Sons Philadelphie, Pennsylvanie. Nó được hạ thủy vào ngày 17 tháng 8 năm 1918, được đầu bởi cô Genevieve Dudley Breckinridge, cháu gái Thiếu úy Breckinridge, và được đưa ra hoạt động vào ngàn 2 th n 19 Hải quân Arthur L. Bristol.

Breckinridge gia nhập Lực lượng Khu trục trực thuộc Hạm đội Đại Tây Dương, hot động ngoài khơi vịnh Guantánamo, Cuba. Nó được bố trí dọc theo bờ Đông Hoa Kỳ chủ yếu trong nhiệm vụ phát triển và thử nghiệm các thiết bị sonar cho đến khi được cho xuất biên chế b.

Breckinridge được cho nhập biên chế trở lại vào tháng 5 năm 1930, và phục vụ cùng Lực lượng Tuần tiễu trực thuộc Hạm đội Hoa Kỳ dọc theo bờ Đông cho vđến cu.i Nnm 1932 phục vụ cùng Lực lượng Tuần tiễu tại khu vực từ Alaska dans Trân Châu Cảng. Dans le 5 năm 1936, nó được điều động a chanté Hải đội Huấn luyện 10 và hoạt ng dọc theo bờ Đông và vùng biển Cuba cho đến tháng 9 năm 1936 khi nó liượng c biê cho xuựn.

Breckinridge được cho nhập biên chế trở lại vào tháng 5 năm 1930, và phục vụ cùng Lực lượng Tuần tiễu trực thuộc Hạm đội Hoa Kỳ dọc theo bờ Đông cho vđến cu.i Nnm 1932 phục vụ cùng Lực lượng Tuần tiễu tại khu vực từ Alaska dans Trân Châu Cảng. Dans le 5 năm 1936, nó được điều động a chanté Hải đội Huấn luyện 10 và hoạt động dọc theo bờ Đông và vùng biển Cuba cho đến tháng 9 năm 1936 khi nó liượng được biê cho xuựn.

Sau ba năm bị bỏ không tại Philadelphie, Breckinridge được cho nhập biên chế trở lại vào tháng 9 năm 1939 và phục vụ cùng Đội 66 thuộc Hải đội Đại Tây Dương trong nhiệm vụ Tuần tra Trung lập. Dans le 12 năm 1940, nó được điều a chanté Trạm Tuần tra Nội địa tại Vùng kênh đào Panama, và sang tháng 5 năm 1941 nó đặt căn cứ tại Key West, Floride, làm nhiệm, vụng hàn tra và thực tập.

Breckinridge hot động trực thuộc Tư lệnh Duyên hải Tiền phương Caribe trong nhiệm vụ tuần tra và hộ tống cho n tháng 12 năm 1943, khi nó được điều về Hạm đội ng. Nó gia nhập i đặc nhiệm 21.13, một đội tìm diệt, vào ngày 14 tháng 1 năm 1944 cho các hoạt động càn quét chống tàu ngần giữa Đại Tây Dương. Quay trở về Norfolk vào ngày 27 tháng 2 sau một đợt t ng an bình, Đội đặc nhiệm 21.13 được giải tán và chiếc tàu khu trục đi đến Boston, Massachusetts để đại tu. Vào ngày 22 tháng 3, nó quay trở lại Norfolk gia nhập Lực lượng Đặc nhiệm 6 để hộ tống một đoàn tàu vận tải vượt Đại Tây Dương. Khởi hành vào ngày 24 tháng 3, đoàn tàu đi n Địa Trung Hải mà không bị ngăn trở. Tuy nhiên, trong đêm 11 tháng 4/11/12 tháng 4, nhiều máy bay Đức đã tấn công đoàn tàu, gây hư hại cho tàu khu trục hộ tống Titulaire.

Breckinridge quay trở về Boston vào ngày 11 tháng 5 năm 1944. ngn ngày 27 tháng 5, nó trình diện để phục vụ cùng Tư lệnh Duyên hải Tiền phương Caribe, và hoạt ng tpháni vcho năm 1945, khi nó quay trở lại hot động cùng Hạm đội Đại Tây Dương. Sau khi trải qua t đại tu tại Xưởng hải quân Boston từ ngày 10 tháng 2 đến ngày 31 tháng 3, nó tiến hành các hoạt động tại New London, Connecticut như là soái hạm chu.

Vào ngày 30 tháng 6 năm 1945, Breckinridge c xếp lại lớp như một tàu phụ trợ với ký hiệu lườn AG-112. Sau một thời gian cải biến tại chi nhánh của Xưởng hải quân New York ở Bayonne, New Jersey, nó lên đường đi a chanté Thái Bình Dương, đi đến San Diego, Californie vào ngày 21 thnáng di 8. Nó trìn lệnh Đội tàu sân bay 12 vào ngày 24 tháng 8, làm nhiệm vụ canh phòng máy bay và hộ tống. Nó phục vụ trong vai trò này cho đến khi được cho ngừng hoạt động vào ngày 30 tháng 11 năm 1945, và bị bán để tháo dỡ vào ngày 31 tháng 10 năm 1946.

Breckinridge được tặng thưởng một Ngôi sao Chiến trận do thành tích phục vụ trong Thế Chiến II.


Histoire[modifier]

Breckinridge a été lancé le 17 août 1918 par William Cramp & Sons Ship and Engine Building Company, Philadelphie, parrainé par Mlle Genevieve Dudley Breckinridge, une nièce de l'enseigne Breckinridge. Le navire a été mis en service le 27 février 1919, commandé par le commandant Arthur L. Bristol.

Breckinridge rejoint la Force de destroyers de la flotte de l'Atlantique opérant au large de la baie de Guantanamo, à Cuba. Elle a été employée le long de la côte est principalement dans le développement et les tests de dispositifs de sonar jusqu'à sa mise hors service en réserve à Philadelphie le 30 juin 1922. Recommandé en mai 1930, Breckinridge servi avec la Scouting Force United States Fleet, le long de la côte est jusqu'à la fin de 1932. Elle a navigué pour le Pacifique où elle a servi avec la Scouting Force de l'Alaska à Pearl Harbor. En mai 1936, il est affecté à l'Escadron d'entraînement 10 et opère le long de la côte est et dans les eaux cubaines jusqu'en septembre 1936, date à laquelle il est mis hors service en réserve. Après trois ans hors de service à Philadelphie, il est remis en service en septembre 1939 et sert dans la division 66, Atlantic Squadron, sur la Neutrality Patrol. En décembre 1940, il est affecté à la station de patrouille côtière, zone du canal de Panama. Après mai 1941 Breckinridge était basé à Key West, en Floride, patrouillant et menant des expériences sous-marines et des exercices programmés.

Breckinridge exploité sous le Commandant, Caribbean Sea Frontier, en patrouille et en escorte jusqu'en décembre 1943, date à laquelle il est affecté à la Flotte de l'Atlantique. Elle a rejoint TG㺕.13, un groupe de chasseurs-tueurs le 14 janvier 1944 pour des ratissages anti-sous-marins au milieu de l'Atlantique. De retour à Norfolk le 27 février après une opération sans incident, TG&# 16021.13 a été dissous et Breckinridge s'est rendu à Boston pour révision. Le 22 mars 1944, il retourna à Norfolk et se présenta à la TFن pour escorter un convoi à travers l'Atlantique. Parti le 24 mars 1944, le convoi a atteint la mer Méditerranée sans interférence. Cependant, dans la nuit du 11 au 12 avril, de nombreux avions allemands attaquent le convoi infligeant des dommages à Titulaire.

Breckinridge est revenu à Boston le 11 mai 1944. Le 27 mai, il s'est présenté au poste de commandant, Caribbean Sea Frontier, et a opéré à proximité de la baie de Guantanamo, à Cuba, jusqu'au 7 février 1945, date à laquelle il est revenu au service avec la flotte de l'Atlantique. Après avoir subi une révision au Boston Navy Yard entre le 10 février et le 31 mars, il a commencé ses opérations à New London, Connecticut, en tant que navire amiral de la division Destroyer 54.


John Brown&aposs Fort

Les hommes de Brown&# x2019s ont réussi à capturer plusieurs propriétaires d'esclaves locaux mais, à la fin de la journée du 16, les habitants de la ville ont commencé à riposter. Tôt le lendemain matin, ils ont levé une milice locale, qui a capturé un pont traversant la rivière Potomac, coupant efficacement une voie d'évacuation importante pour Brown et ses compatriotes.

Bien que Brown et ses hommes aient pu prendre l'armurerie de Harpers Ferry dans la matinée du 17, la milice locale a rapidement encerclé l'installation et les deux parties ont échangé des coups de feu.

Il y a eu des victimes des deux côtés, avec quatre citoyens de Harpers Ferry tués, y compris le maire de la ville&# x2019s. Une milice composée d'hommes de la Baltimore & Ohio Railroad est arrivé en ville et a aidé les résidents locaux à contrer l'attaque de Brown&# x2019.

Brown a été contraint de déplacer ses hommes restants et leurs captifs à l'armurerie&# x2019s engine house, un bâtiment plus petit qui est devenu plus tard connu sous le nom de John Brown&# x2019s Fort. Ils se sont effectivement barricadés à l'intérieur.

L'attaque de la milice a permis de libérer plusieurs captifs de Brown&# x2019s, bien que huit des cheminots soient morts dans les combats. Sans issue de secours et sous un feu nourri, Brown a envoyé son fils Watson se rendre. Cependant, le jeune Brown a été abattu par la milice et mortellement blessé.


Personnes notables

Le cimetière de Lexington reflète les changements sociaux et économiques qui ont eu lieu dans le comté de Lexington-Fayette. À l'intérieur de ses portes se trouvent des personnes de différents statuts politiques, économiques et sociaux, de race et de religion. Vous trouverez ci-dessous les noms de nombreuses personnes qui ont apporté une contribution exceptionnelle à l'amélioration de leur communauté.

Cliquez sur les noms pour en savoir plus sur les nombreuses personnes notables enterrées au cimetière de Lexington.

Alford, Mitchell Cary (1855-1914)

Alford, Mitchell Cary (1855-1914)
Section H, Lot 44
Diplômé de la faculté de droit de l'Université du Kentucky (maintenant l'Université de Transylvanie) en 1880, Mitchell Cary Alford a été commissaire principal, juge de la Cour des Recorders et sénateur de l'État avant d'être élu lieutenant-gouverneur dans l'administration du premier gouverneur John Young Brown. . Pendant de nombreuses années, il a été trésorier de l'hôtel Phoenix.

Allen, James Lane (1849-1925)

Allen, James Lane (1849-1925)
Section D, Lot 91
Romancier renommé du XIXe siècle, James Lane Allen a enseigné pendant plusieurs années après avoir obtenu son diplôme de l'Université de Transylvanie et avant de devenir auteur. Allen a déménagé à New York, où il s'est consacré à plein temps à l'écriture de ses histoires basées sur des événements réels. Son œuvre la plus populaire était Flute and Violin and Other Kentucky Tales and Romances, publiée en 1891. Dans ce livre se trouvait l'histoire, "King Solomon of Kentucky". Allen a légué une fontaine à la jeunesse de Lexington qui a été placée dans le parc Gratz, puis consacrée en 1933

Barlow, Milton (1818-1891)

Barlow, Milton (1818-1891)
Section G, Lot 34
En coopération avec son père, Thomas, Milton Barlow a inventé et construit le premier planétarium dans l'orfèvrerie de Milton. À l'origine, Thomas voulait simplement illustrer les mouvements des planètes pour ses petits-enfants, mais le processus est devenu un effort de trois ans de maillage minutieux d'engrenages à roues dentées pour produire les minuscules révolutions fractionnaires des planètes. En 1844, le père et le fils vendent leur planétarium au Collège Girard. Ils ont continué à construire des planétariums pendant dix ans, les vendant 2 000 $ chacun et en exposant un à l'Exposition universelle de 1851 à New York. La pierre tombale de Milton indique « les deux plus grands inventeurs du Kentucky ». En plus d'être un inventeur, Milton était le chef de l'artillerie des généraux confédérés Abraham Buford et John H. Morgan.

Barbe, Joseph (1812-1858)

Barbe, Joseph (1812-1858)
Section F, Lot 12
En tant que maréchal de la ville de Lexington en 1858, Joseph Beard est mort dans l'exercice de ses fonctions lorsqu'il a été poignardé par William Barker, un homme qu'il a arrêté pour bagarre au milieu de la ville. Lorsque Barker a été emprisonné, les habitants de la ville se sont rassemblés avec colère à l'extérieur en criant « Pendez-le, pendez-le ». La foule a fait irruption dans la prison et a traîné Barker au palais de justice de l'autre côté de la rue. Une poutre a été placée à travers une fenêtre du deuxième étage à laquelle un nœud coulant était attaché. Baker a été forcé de se tenir à la fenêtre pendant que le nœud coulant était placé sur sa tête, puis il a été poussé par la fenêtre. La corde s'est cassée et Barker est tombé la tête la première sur le trottoir de briques en dessous. La foule en colère l'a de nouveau forcé à monter à la fenêtre, où il a été pendu jusqu'à la mort. William Barker a été enterré sans cérémonie dans un champ de potier.
Le maréchal Beard a été enterré avec une grande cérémonie dans le cimetière de Lexington. Son monument se lit comme suit : « Une victime de violence dans l'exercice de ses fonctions de maréchal de la ville de Lexington.

Beauchamp, Françoise E. (1857-1923)

Beauchamp, Françoise E. (1857-1923)
Section I-1, Lot 67
Épouse d'un avocat de Lexington, Frances E. Beauchamp était une militante étatique et nationale de la tempérance, de la prohibition et du suffrage des femmes, ainsi qu'une défenseure de la réforme pénitentiaire. Beauchamp a été l'un des fondateurs de la Hidman Settlement School.

Beck, James Burnie (1822-1890)

Beck, James Burnie (1822-1890)
Tronçon K, Lot 9
Après avoir quitté l'Écosse en 1838 pour l'Amérique, puis à Lexington en 1843, James Burnie Beck est diplômé de l'Université de Transylvanie et a commencé à pratiquer le droit. Il était membre démocrate de la Chambre des représentants des États-Unis de 1867 à 1875 et du Sénat de 1877 à 1890. En 1848, il épousa Jane Thronton, une belle-fille du gouverneur du Kentucky James Clark.

Breckinridge, colonel William Cabell Preston (1837-1904)

Breckinridge, colonel William Cabell Preston (1837-1904)
Section O, Lot 126
Il était avocat, soldat, rédacteur en chef et homme d'État, connu sous le nom d'"orateur à la langue d'argent du Kentucky". Cela a fait la une des journaux dans tout le pays pendant six semaines. Le tribunal a accordé à Pollard 15 000 $ de dommages et intérêts, puis le colonel Breckinridge a annoncé sa candidature pour un sixième mandat consécutif au Congrès immédiatement après.

Les suffragettes étaient excitées et s'opposaient publiquement à lui. La Ligue nationale chrétienne pour la promotion de la pureté sociale a envoyé une lettre au Congrès pour protester. Ils ont également envoyé une lettre à la femme du colonel Breckinridge pour lui demander, au nom de la féminité, de renoncer à son mari et de refuser de vivre avec lui. Lorsqu'il arriva à Lexington pour faire campagne en mai 1894, Laura Clay avait organisé un rassemblement « anti-Breckinridge » à l'Opéra. Les «meilleures personnes du comté de Fayette» y ont assisté et parmi elles, 1 000 femmes ont fait connaître leurs sentiments à haute voix. Breckinridge a perdu les élections et sa carrière politique était terminée. Sans la possibilité d'exprimer une seule voix, les femmes l'ont vaincu.

Breckinridge, Dr Robert (1800-1871)

Breckinridge, Dr Robert (1800-1871)
Section O, Lot 151
L'un des 25 fondateurs de la Lexington Cemetery Corporation, le Dr Robert Breckinridge a fait ses études à Princeton, Yale et Union College. Il a exercé le droit à Lexington, a siégé à la législature du Kentucky et est devenu surintendant de l'instruction publique. Ce poste lui a valu le titre de "fondateur du système scolaire public du Kentucky". À 28 ans, il se retire de la vie politique et se consacre à la théologie. Ordonné ministre presbytérien, il a servi à Baltimore et à la First Presbyterian Church de Lexington. Il était opposé à l'esclavage, et au début de la guerre civile, lui et d'autres ont créé la Danville Review, qui a fortement soutenu l'Union. Pendant la guerre, Breckinridge était le conseiller de Lincoln au Kentucky.

Breckinridge, Dr Sophonisba Preston (1866-1948)

Breckinridge, Dr Sophonisba Preston (1866-1948)
Section O, Lot 126
Fille de William Cabell Preston Breckinridge, Sophonisba Preston Breckinridge a étudié le droit à l'Université du Kentucky et est devenue la première femme admise au Kentucky Bar Association. Elle a également été la première femme à obtenir un doctorat en philosophie en sciences politiques de l'Université de Chicago, où elle est devenue doyenne de la School of Social Administration. Soucieuse de l'égalité politique et économique des femmes, elle s'est associée à la Woman's Trade Union League où elle a aidé à organiser des grèves des ouvriers du vêtement en 1911 et 1915. En collaboration avec les sœurs Clay, elle a été vice-présidente de la National American Woman& #8217s Suffrage Association en 1911. Elle a été l'une des premières femmes à rejoindre la NAACP Représentante à de nombreuses conférences internationales, elle a été la première femme déléguée à la Conférence panaméricaine de Montevideo, où elle a plaidé pour l'extension légale des droits des femmes à l'égalité dans chaque nation.

Breckinridge, le général John Cabell (1821-1875)

Breckinridge, le général John Cabell (1821-1875)
Section G, Lot 1
Le général Breckinridge pourrait être considéré comme l'un des héros tragiques de la guerre civile. Ce brillant gentleman du Sud est diplômé du Center College de Danville, Kentucky en 1839 et a étudié le droit en Transylvanie. Après avoir servi comme major du troisième régiment pendant la guerre du Mexique, il a servi à l'Assemblée législative du Kentucky et au Sénat américain. À 35 ans, il était vice-président des États-Unis sous James Buchanan. En 1860, il est nommé président. En tant que sénateur pendant le mandat du président Abraham Lincoln, Breckinridge a travaillé pour des mesures de compromis, mais en 1861, il a démissionné pour la cause du Sud. Il gravit rapidement les échelons de la direction militaire jusqu'au secrétaire à la Guerre des États confédérés. Après la défaite du Sud, il passe quatre ans en exil en Europe. Quand il s'est finalement senti physiquement en sécurité, il est retourné à Lexington. Un homme au cœur brisé, il a gardé un profil bas, refusant même de commenter la politique. Sa statue se dresse dans Cheapside Park.

Breckinridge, Jean (1760-1806)

Breckinridge, Jean (1760-1806)
Section O, Lot 134
En tant qu'avocat, John Breckinridge a aidé à élaborer la Constitution du Kentucky. Il a été procureur général des États-Unis sous Jefferson et président de la Democratic Society. Ayant déménagé dans le Kentucky à la fin des années 1780 et 8217, Breckinridge a créé un précédent pour un rôle de leadership de longue date joué par la famille Breckinridge.

Breckinridge, John Bayne (1913-1979)

Breckinridge, John Bayne (1913-1979)
Section O, Lot 133
Diplômé de l'Université du Kentucky, John Bayne Breckinridge a atteint le grade de colonel pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale, a travaillé avec le ministère de la Justice à Washington et a pratiqué le droit à Lexington avant d'entrer dans l'arène politique. Après deux mandats à la Chambre des représentants du Kentucky, il a été élu deux fois procureur général (en 1959 et 1967) puis est devenu le sixième Kentucky Breckinridge à siéger au Congrès américain (1973-1979).

Breckinridge, Marie (1881-1965)

Breckinridge, Marie (1881-1965)
Section G, Lot 1
Après avoir été diplômée de la School of Nursing de New York à l'hôpital St. Luke, Mary Breckinridge est devenue sage-femme certifiée dans un hôpital de Londres, en Angleterre. Elle a travaillé avec le Service des infirmières visiteuses en France pendant la Première Guerre mondiale. Elle est retournée dans les comtés reculés des montagnes du Kentucky et a créé la Commission du Kentucky pour les mères et les bébés qui est devenue le Service des infirmières de frontière en 1925. le bébé par le père ou un voisin pendant que la mère l'accouche depuis une position accroupie ou assise sur une chaise sans fond avait été la procédure d'accouchement standard. Les "anges à cheval" ont parcouru 700 miles carrés autour de leur hôpital Hyden dans le comté de Leslie. Au cours des 50 premières années de service, ils ont accouché de 12 262 bébés avec un taux de mortalité maternelle de 9,1 pour mille, tandis que le taux de mortalité national pour les femmes blanches en couches était de 34 pour mille. Comprenant la fierté des montagnards, Mary Breckinridge leur a permis de payer leurs soins médicaux à un minimum de 2 $ par année et 50 $ par naissance. Le paiement se faisait en argent, en armes, en œufs ou en tout ce que les montagnards possédaient.

Bruce, Benjamin Gratz (1827-1891)

Bruce, Benjamin Gratz (1827-1891)
Section D, Lot 88
Pour se joindre à son frère dans le financement de la revue Turf, Field and Farm en 1865, Benjamin Gratz Bruce a abandonné la pratique de la médecine et une épicerie prospère. Il a compilé les deux premiers volumes du Stud Book américain, puis a établi le Livestock Record à Lexington. Une autorité sur les lignées et les performances des pur-sang et un officier de nombreuses organisations de courses, il a été appelé "l'homme le mieux informé des États-Unis sur les sujets du pur-sang".

Buford, Abraham (1820-1884)

Buford, Abraham (1820-1884)
Section P, Lot 57
Diplômé de West Point et vétéran de la guerre du Mexique, Abraham Buford est nommé général de brigade de cavalerie dans l'armée confédérée. Après la guerre, il retourna dans sa ferme du comté de Woodford, Bosque Bonita, où il acquit une grande réputation en tant que turfman. Un marqueur gouvernemental a été consacré sur sa tombe par les Filles unies de la Confédération en 1977.

Terriers, Nathan (1774-1841)

Terriers, Nathan (1774-1841)
Section F, Lot 28
Les premiers colons sont venus au “Kentucke” parce qu'ils voulaient des terres pour faire pousser des cultures. En 1796, Nathan Burrows a inventé une machine pour nettoyer le chanvre, une plante indigène du Kentucky. Il est rapidement devenu la culture la plus importante de la région, rapportant environ un demi-million de dollars par an au début des années 1800. Le chanvre était nécessaire pour ensacher le coton et fabriquer des cordes à balles. En 1810, entre 60 et 100 esclaves travaillaient le chanvre dans des bâtiments longs et étroits. Les bâtiments étaient appelés chemins de corde parce que les esclaves allaient et venaient à partir de broches, tordant la fibre de chanvre en corde pendant qu'ils marchaient. Avec l'importation de sisal des Philippines après la guerre hispano-américaine, l'industrie du chanvre est morte. Burrows était ingénieux et a découvert un procédé de fabrication de moutarde qui poussait également à l'état sauvage dans les champs du Kentucky. Son produit a remporté une prime à l'Exposition universelle des années 1882 à Londres.

Bush, Joseph H. (1794-1865)

Bush, Joseph H. (1794-1865)
Section P, Lot 74
L'un des premiers portraitistes les plus populaires du Kentucky était Joseph H. Bush, qui a étudié avec Thomas Sully à Philadelphie. Après son retour dans son état natal, Bush a fait de la publicité dans le journal et a facturé 150 $ par portrait. Le fait qu'il ait été commandé par certains des hommes les plus éminents de son temps témoigne de son talent de peintre. Henry Clay, le Dr Benjamin Dudley et même Zachary Taylor étaient ses sujets. Comme beaucoup d'autres artistes, il a voyagé vers le sud en hiver, peignant souvent toute une famille alors qu'il vivait dans sa plantation du Mississippi ou de la Louisiane.

Carty, père, Jean (1764-1845)

Carty, père, Jean (1764-1845)
Section C, Lot 25
Originaire du New Jersey, John Carty, Sr. a combattu pendant la guerre d'indépendance avant de déménager à Lexington. He served under Anthony Wayne in the Indian campaign of 1794 and, according to G.W. Ranck’s History of Lexington, he and Waldemard Mentelle “introduced into Kentucky the manufacture of earthen ware.”

Clay, Henry (1777-1852)

Clay, Henry (1777-1852)
Section M
Perhaps Kentucky’s most famous man was Henry Clay, who was actually born in Virginia. His father died when Clay was five. He did manual labor and worked in a drug store to help support his mother and family. At 16, he found a mentor, a Virginia lawyer who took him to Richmond to study.

Arriving in Lexington in 1797, Clay was seeking his fortune as a lawyer in a place known for many land disputes. His success in the courtroom propelled him into politics where he spent 43 years as a public figure, 27 years of which he was a U.S.Congressman and Senator. Among his accomplishments were the acquisition for the United States of Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida, the admission of Missouri to the Union, and the annexation of the Republic of Texas. Clay served four years as Secretary of State. He is also remembered for his three unsuccessful quests for the presidency.

Following his death in Washington, his remains were returned to Lexington by train, carriage and barge. All along the 1,200 mile route, people gathered to salute “The Great Compromiser.” In Lexington, Clay lay in state at his home, Ashland, and it is said that when his funeral cortege was entering The Lexington Cemetery gates, the end of the procession of mourners was just leaving Ashland, more than two miles away.

Clay, James B. (1817-1864)

Clay, James B. (1817-1864)
Section I, Lot 55
The son of Henry and Lucretia Hart Clay, James B. Clay practiced law in Lexington with his father. He was charged d’affaires to Portugal in 1849-1850, served one term in Congress, and was a member of the peace convention which met in Washington in 1861 in a futile effort to avert war. A Confederate sympathizer, he found refuge in Canada, where he died.

Clay, Laura (1849-1941)

Clay, Laura (1849-1941)
Section J, Lot 6
Daughter of Cassius and Mary Jane Warfield Clay, Laura fought for woman’s suffrage and was elected first President of the Equal Rights Association organized in 1888 in New York City. She founded the Fayette County Democratic Club and was one of eight delegates to the 1920 National Convention in San Francisco, where her name was placed in nomination for President of the United States, a first for a woman.

Clay, Mary Barr (1839 - 1924)

Clay, Mary Barr (1839 – 1924)
Section J, Lot 6
Daughter of Cassius and Mary Jane Warfield Clay, Mary Barr attended the 10th anniversary meeting of the National Woman Suffrage Association in St. Louis in 1879 as a self-appointed delegate. There she arranged to bring Susan B. Anthony to Kentucky, where Anthony gave her “Bread, Not the Ballot” speech which emphasized that the ballot was necessary for the economic protection women needed. In 1883, Mary Barr Clay was elected president of the American Women Suffrage Association. It is thought by many that Mary Bar Clay’s greatest contribution to the women’s movement was her introduction of her sister, Laura Clay, to the cause.

Clay, Mary Jane Warfield (1815-1900)

Clay, Mary Jane Warfield (1815-1900)
Section J, Lot 6
Women from the Bluegrass State were important national figures in the beginning of the women’s rights movement.

Mary Jane Warfield Clay was the wife of hot-headed abolitionist Cassius Marcellus Clay, Ambassador to Russia. Born into a wealthy Lexington family, Mrs. Clay, like so many of the women of her time, did not live a life of idle luxury. Like most prominent public figures, her husband was away from home most of their married life. Mrs. Clay raised their large family, paid for the education of six children, managed her husband’s farm, enlarged his mansion White Hall, and paid his debts. During the Civil War, one source of her income was raising and selling mules to the Union Army. “I have had upwards of a thousand mules on the farm, eight hundred and fifty are gone now,” she wrote. When her husband returned from almost nine years in Russia, he brought with him the scandal of his philandering abroad and ultimately proof of his adultery: an illegitimate son.

The Clays divorced in 1878, and their daughters learned the realities of women’s legal rights. Although their mother had not only maintained his property but improved their father’s financial situation, she was not legally entitled to any recompense, nor did she have any legal right to the custody of the children.

Clifford, John D. (1778-1820)

Clifford, John D. (1778-1820)
Section I, Lot 14
A native Philadelphian of wealth and culture, John D. Clifford contributed greatly to Lexington’s reputation as the “Athens of the West.” He was a supporter of Translyvania University, the Lexington Athanaeum, and the Episcopal Church and was keenly interested in geology and other natural sciences. He and his wife, Mary Morton, a daughter of “Lord” William Mortan, lie in unmarked graves.

Combs, General Leslie (1793-1881)

Combs, General Leslie (1793-1881)
Section E, Lot 3
A hero known as the “boy-captain of 1812,” at the age of 19 Leslie Combs rode 100 miles through snow, water and wilderness to deliver a war dispatch. Later he was taken prisoner by the Indians and was forced to run the gauntlet at Fort Miami. After the War of 1812, he settled in Lexington to practice law. As a lawyer, trustee of Transylvania, member of the Kentucky House of Representatives, railroad pioneer, and state auditor, General Combs contributed much to the early development of Lexington.

Cooper, Thomas Poe (1881-1958)

Cooper, Thomas Poe (1881-1958)
Section 46, Lot 4
Born in Illinois, Thomas Poe Cooper devoted his life to agricultural education and to improving the quality of agriculture. He was dean of the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture from 1918 to 1951, a period in which the enrollment of the college grew from 200 to 1,000, and its facilities and services increased many fold. He was acting president of the university in 1940 to 1941, and served in many state and national organizations.

DeSha, Mary (1850-1911)

DeSha, Mary (1850-1911)
Section D, Lot 18
Born and educated in Lexington, Mary DeSha taught at Dudley School for ten years and became an early advocate for enfranchisement of women. In 1890, in Washington, she was one of the four founders of the Daughters of the American Revolution. A monument bearing the DAR seal was dedicated at her grave on December 16, 1915.

Dudley, Dr. Benjamin Winslow (1785-1870)

Dudley, Dr. Benjamin Winslow (1785-1870)
Section G, Lot 10
Someone wrote about Dr. Benjamin Winslow, who was considered by many a hero of the 1833 cholera epidemic, “Our physicians are either dead or broken down, Dr. Dudley alone I believe has stood it through, and is still on the alert.”

Receiving his early education Lexington, he graduated from the University of Pennsylvania medical department at the age of 19. In returning to Lexington, he was offered the Chair of the Anatomy and Physiology Department at Transylvania University. Dudley performed over 200 lithotomies, an operation for the removal of bladder-stones, with only six fatalities, and was among the first neurosurgeons in the United States to work in trephining. This surgery involved making a circular incision in the skull to release pressure, which was believed to cause epilepsy. Dr. Dudley has an international reputation for his successful operations for bladder stone, and was a pioneer in cataract and brain surgery.

Duke, Basil Wilson (1838-1916)

Duke, Basil Wilson (1838-1916)
Section C, Lot 17
Born in Scott County, Basil Wilson Duke practiced law in St. Louis. In 1861, he married Henrietta Morgan, a sister of John Hunt Morgan. During most of the Civil War he was Morgan’s second in command, and after the latter’s death he became a commanding general of a cavalry brigade. He was author of a History of Morgan’s Cavalry and a volume of Reminiscences. He served in the Kentucky House of Representatives and had a distinguished legal career.

Duncan, George Brand (1861-1950)

Duncan, George Brand (1861-1950)
Section D, Lot 120
A native of Lexington, George Brand Duncan graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 1886. He served in the Spanish-American War in Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Philippines. In World War I, he was sent to France, where he won promotions from colonel to major general and headed the 77th and 82nd divisions. He commanded troops in several important offensives and was awarded French, British, and American decorations. He retired in 1925.

Duncan, Henry T. (1800-1880)

Duncan, Henry T. (1800-1880)
Section A, Lot 41 and 42
Born in Paris, Henry T. Duncan practiced law with the noted Thomas A. Marshall, and accumulated a fortune by manufacturing hemp and raising livestock. Later a resident of Fayette County, he was a founder of The Lexington Cemetery and president of the Clay Monument Association. In 1826, he married Eliza Dunster Pyke. Among their children was Henry Timberlake Duncan, Jr, who became an attorney, newspaper editor and twice mayor of Lexington.

Ficklin, Joseph (1775-1859)

Ficklin, Joseph (1775-1859)
Section D, Lot 106
During the Indian siege of 1782, Joseph Ficklin was with his family at Bryan Station. He was postmaster at Russellville. In 1814, he was appointed U.S. Counsul to St. Bartholomews, then in 1821 became editor of the Kentucky Gazette. From 1822 to 1841 and 1843 to 1850, Mr. Ficklin was postmaster of Lexington. In addition, he was a trustee of Transylvania University. A friend described him as “a very large man who was always followed by a small dog.”

Frazer, Oliver (1808-1864)

Frazer, Oliver (1808-1864)
Section I, Lot 53
Born in Fayette County, Oliver Frazer studied portraiture under Matthew Harris Jouett in Lexington and Thomas Sully in Philadelphia, then continued his education in Great Britain and Europe. Returning to Lexington, he was popular and busy as a portraitist until his eyesight began to fail about 1850.

Gibson, Randall Lee (1832-1892)

Gibson, Randall Lee (1832-1892)
Section K, Lot 7
A native of Woodford County, Randall Lee Gibson became a planter in Louisiana and entered the Confederate Army in the state as a private, rising to the rank of major general. After the war he practiced law, served in both houses of Congress, and was a promoter of Tulane University.

Granger, Gordon (1822-1876)

Granger, Gordon (1822-1876)
Section P, Lot 66
A veteran of the Mexican War, Gordon Granger served with distinction in the Civil War, rising from the rank of colonel of the Second Michigan Cavalry to major general commanding the Fourth Army Corps. For a time he was stationed in Lexington with headquarters at the Bodley House. After the war he married Maria Letcher of Lexington. He died at Santa Fe while commanding the District of New Mexico.

Gratz, Benjamin (1792-1884)

Gratz, Benjamin (1792-1884)
Section D, Lot 121
A contemporary of Colonel James Morrison, Benjamin Gratz was a wealthy business and civic leader, and for sixty-five years was one of Lexington’s most astute and valuable citizens. His home, Mount Hope, is still standing beside the park named for him. A partner with Colonel Morrison in hemp manufacturing, Gratz was also involved in many businesses in the city. Like Colonel Morrison, Gratz was a trustee of Transylvania. He was a curator for Kentucky University. Additionally, he was the first president of the Kentucky Agricultural and Mechanical Association. Gratz helped promote construction of the Maysville- Lexington road and the Lexington and Ohio Railroad. As a member of the city council, Gratz was instrumental in establishing Lexington’s public library, the first in the West. During the Civil War, Gratz was a Unionist, and he turned his home into a commissary and a cookhouse for the companies of Federal soldiers encamped on the lawn of Transylvania.

Gray, J. Archer (1878-1946)

Gray, J. Archer (1878-1946)
Section 32, Lot 13
As founder, and for nineteen years the pastor of the nondenominational Everybody’s Church, J. Archer Gray was a “minister at large” and counselor to Lexington’s and central Kentucky’s needy and unfortunate people. He was fatally injured in a traffic mishap.

Haggin II, Louis Lee (1913-1980)

Haggin II, Louis Lee (1913-1980)
Section 16, Lot 34
A past president of Keeneland Race Course in 1940 and the Keeneland Association in 1956, Louis Lee Haggin II was also the chairman of the board of the association from 1970 to his death in 1980. In addition to operating his own horse farm, he was an officer of the Thoroughbred Racing Association, Jockey Club, Thoroughbred Breeders of Kentucky, National Museum of Racing, and Grayson Foundation for Equine Research. In 1971, he was chosen the Jockey Club’s “Man of the Year.” He was a great-grandson of James Ben Ali Haggin of Elmendorf Farm.

Haggin, Ben Ali (1882-1951)

Haggin, Ben Ali (1882-1951)
Section 16, Lot 20
Although he never was a resident of Lexington, Ben Ali Haggin was noted in the Lexington community as a painter of society women and thoroughbred horses, as well as a designer of theatrical sets and tableaux in New York. He was a grandson of the fabulous James Ben Ali Haggin, founder of Elmendorf Farm and builder of Green Hills Mansion.

Hamilton, Holman (1910-1980)

Hamilton, Holman (1910-1980)
Section 14, Lot 12
An Indiana newspaperman, Holman Hamilton became a distinguished and popular member of the University of Kentucky history faculty. As the author of seven authoritative books and many articles on American history, he was often a visiting lecturer at other universities and was active in historical societies and historic preservation.

Hanson, Colonel Roger Weightman (1827-1863)

Hanson, Colonel Roger Weightman (1827-1863)
Section G, Lot 26
In September, 1861, when President Abraham Lincoln sent troops into Lexington and the Union flag was raised, the Confederate troop was led by Colonel Roger Weightman Hanson. The presence of Union troops in Lexington forced the First Kentucky Brigade to leave the Bluegrass. With no home, they were to be known as the Orphan’s Brigade. Under the leadership of Colonel Hanson, they fought at Shiloh, Vickburg, Chicamauga, Kennesaw Mountain, and in the defense of Atlanta.

Headley, Hal Price (1888-1962)

Headley, Hal Price (1888-1962)
Section J, Lot 52
As the owner of the 2,500-acre Beaumont Farm in Fayette County and a 10,000-acre plantation in Georgia, Hal Price Headley was one of the 20th Century’s most successful thoroughbred horsemen. He was chairman of the organizing committee of the Keeneland racetrack, first president of the Keeneland Association, leading owner at the first race meeting in 1936, and a founder of the Keeneland horse sales. He died at Keeneland while supervising the training of his horses.

Helm, Katherine (1857-1937)

Helm, Katherine (1857-1937)
Section F, Lot 36
A talented artist and author, Katherine Helm was a daughter of Confederate General Ben Hardin Helm and Emilie Todd Helm, a half-sister to Mary Todd Lincoln. Katherine’s portrait of Mrs. Lincoln hangs in the White House. She maintained a studio in New York for a number of years, but from 1912 until her death she lived and painted at Helm Place on Bowman’s Mill Road.

Huguelet, Guy A. (1891-1955)

Huguelet, Guy A. (1891-1955)
Section 44
Having become involved with intercity motorbus transportation in its infancy in the early 1920s, Guy A. Huguelet was instrumental in transforming the primitive, short-haul companies into the Southeastern Geyhound Lines, of which he was president. An attorney, he was active in many civic organizations, president of Keeneland Association, and chairman of the executive committee of the University of Kentucky.

Hunt, Charlton (1801-1836)

Hunt, Charlton (1801-1836)
Section D, Lot 105
When Lexington was incorporated in 1832, Charlton Hunt was named mayor. The new government was composed of 12 councilman, two of whom were Robert S. Todd and Benjamin Gratz. Under Hunt’s direction, the first public school was established and opened with 107 students enrolled.

Hunt, John Wesley (1773-1849)

Hunt, John Wesley (1773-1849)
Section C, Lot 17
Considered to be the first millionaire west of the Alleghenies, the family of John Wesley Hunt was one of Lexington’s most prominent families. He is the father of Charlton Hunt, who became the first mayor of Lexington. Coming to Lexington in 1795, John Wesley Hunt became a merchant, horsebreeder, hemp manufacturer, and banker. He was appointed postmaster by President John Adams in 1799. As postmaster, Mr. Hunt established a mail route from Lexington to Washington, D.C. That pony express route took two weeks to complete.

John Wesley Hunt built Hopemont (today known as The Hunt-Morgan House). The house is believed to be haunted by the old Negro nurse, Bouviette, who was called “Aunt Betty” by the Morgan Children. After “her” boys went to war, she would appear on Main Street whenever she thought any Southern troops were coming through town. She often waited for hours to give a drink of lemonade to one of “her” boys. Four of the six boys she nursed lived to carry her remains to the family lot in The Lexington Cemetery where a little stone has this simple inscription, “Bouvieete James Col. Ever Faithful.”

Ingels, Margaret (1892-1971)

Ingels, Margaret (1892-1971)
Section C, Lot 23
A native of Paris, Kentucky, Margaret Ingels was the first American woman to receive a degree in mechanical engineering. She earned her bachelor’s degree in engineering in 1916 and a master’s in 1920 from the University of Kentucky. A specialist in air conditioning, she worked in the field for thirty-two years, retiring from the Carrier Corporation in 1952.

Johnson, John Telemachus (1788-1856)

Johnson, John Telemachus (1788-1856)
Section I, Lot 45
A brother to Vice President Richard Mentor Johnson and a graduate of Transylvania University, John Telemachus Johnson was an aid to General William Henry Harrison in the War of 1812, and served in the Kentucky and U.S. House of Representatives. He became a minister in the Christian Church, an editor of religious publications, and founder of Bacon College at Georgetown.

Kaufman, Moses (1843-1924)

Kaufman, Moses (1843-1924)
Section E-1, Lot 28
Born in Bavaria, Moses Kaufman came to Lexington in 1869, and was founder of the firm which became Kaufman Clothing Company. For seventeen years he was a member of the City Council, served in the Kentucky House of Representatives, and was postmaster from 1914 to 1923. He generously supported many charitable and civic causes and was an organizer of Temple Adath Israel. His obituary in the Lexington Herald-Leader stated that he had “held an exalted place in the esteem of Lexington’s citizenry.

King, Gilbert Hinds (1839-1884)

King, Gilbert Hinds (1839-1884)
Section G, Lot 4
A New Yorker who moved to Lexington in the early 1870s, Gilbert Hinds King has been given much of the credit for persuading the City Council, the legislature, and the people of Lexington that a waterworks system was a necessity. He was an organizer of the Lexington Hydraulic and Manufacturing Company in 1882. His company completed the first reservoir in 1884 and laid water pipes below city streets. Mr. King died shortly before the system began operation.

Kirwan, Albert D. (1904-1971)

Kirwan, Albert D. (1904-1971)
Section 45, Lot 64
Having spent much of his life on the University of Kentucky campus, Albert D. Kirwan’s activities ranged from student-athlete in the 1920s to president from 1968 to 1969. Kirwan was football coach, history professor, dean of men, dean of students, and dean of the graduate school. He held the position of interim president with such distinction that the board of trustees designated him the seventh president of the university.

Markey, Lucille Parker Wright (1896-1982)

Markey, Lucille Parker Wright (1896-1982)
Section 45, Lot 754
After inheriting Calumet Farm from her first husband, Warren Wright, Lucille Parker Wright Markey continued its operation as a leading thoroughbred establishment. In 1952, she married Rear Admiral Gene Markey, a veteran of both world wars, author and Hollywood producer. Mrs. Markey donated $4.6 million to the Ephraim McDowell Cancer Research Foundation at the University of Kentucky for a research and treatment center that has been named in her honor.

Masterson, James (1752-1838)

Masterson, James (1752-1838)
Section K, Lot 6
Lexington was named for the first site of the battle of the Revolutionary War by settlers who came here in 1775. These first settlers left, but others followed. One of the settlers was James Masterson, for whom Masterson’s Station was named. In the spring of 1779, he helped build the first blockhouse on the corner of what is today Main and Mill Streets.

Masterson loved the woods and prided himself on his strength and skill. As Lexington grew and became a sophisticated city, Masterson kept the old stories of Indian dangers and buffalo and deer kills alive with his tales of the early days of the settlement. One of his favorite stories was how he brought the early settlers their salt. Masterson bragged that he had walked to the Falls of the Ohio River, in what is today Louisville, secured the salt, and returned “in a day or so,” and, in fact, he did just that.

McChord, James (1785-1820)

McChord, James (1785-1820)
Section D, Lot 116
Moving to Lexington from Baltimore with his parents at the age of five, James McChord was educated at Transylvania, studied law with Henry Clay, and attended theological seminary in New York. Returning to Lexington, he preached, taught astronomy at Transylvania, and became a member of its board of trustees. In 1815, a group of influential citizens provided for him a new house of worship on Market Street, known at the time as the McChord Church, and now the Second Presbyterian Church.

McCullough, Samuel D. (1803-1873)

McCullough, Samuel D. (1803-1873)
Section F, Lot 28
A relative of Nathan Burrows, the inventor of a machine that cleaned hemp, Samuel D. McCullough operated a mustard factory in Lexington. He shipped his mustard all over the world, claiming Queen Victoria was one of his customers.

McKee, Lt. Hugh (1844-1871)

McKee, Lt. Hugh (1844-1871)
Section P, Lot 71
Lt. McKee is immortalized by a majestic monument composed of a white marble column on a massive granite base, topped with an urn draped with the American flag. With reliefs of ships and eagles, the monument traces the career of the young officer. Lt. McKee was killed in 1871 after being the first man to reach a fort in Korea where the U.S., England, France, and Germany were fighting China for trade agreements. The fort was captured and named Fort McKee in his honor. On May 22, 1872, the Treaty of Peace, Amity, Commerce and Navigation was signed establishing diplomatic and trade relations between the United States and Korea.

McLain, Raymond F. (1905-1981)

McLain, Raymond F. (1905-1981)
Section D, Lot 3
As president of Transylvania University from 1939 to 1951, Raymond F. McLain strengthened the institution both academically and financially and increased ties between the campus and the town. He was the first president of the Henry Clay Memorial Foundation and was active in community affairs. After leaving Lexington, he served successfully as general director of the Committee on Higher Education of the National Council of Churches, president of American University in Cairo, Egypt, and a vice-president and dean of the University of Alabama.

McMurtry, John (1813-1890)

McMurtry, John (1813-1890)
Section I, Lot 63
As one of Lexington’s most prolific architects and builders, John McMurtry was trained locally as an apprentice. Rather than any one style, McMurtry’s work provided a cross-section of 19th century architecture. Floral Hall near the Red Mile, the courthouse in Winchester, Kentucky, and the chapel in the old Episcopal Cemetery on East Third Street are examples on his various designs. Never without his black stovepipe hat and umbrella, he built and supervised construction of hundreds of homes in Fayette County. He did not design, but built Christ Church Episcopal and the Loudoun House.

McVey, Frances Jewell (1889-1945)

McVey, Frances Jewell (1889-1945)
Section W, Lot 2
Before her marriage to Dr. Frank McVey in 1923, Frances Jewell McVey was dean of women at the University of Kentucky, and she was a gracious first lady at Maxwell Place until her husband’s retirement from the presidency. An active participant in campus affairs, she was a trustee of Vassar College, a member of the Lexington Board of Education, the National YWCA board, the Frontier Nursing Service, and a charter member of the Lexington Junior League and the Business and Professional Women’s Club.

McVey, Frank LeRond (1869-1953)

McVey, Frank LeRond (1869-1953)
Section 16, Lot 15
After serving eight years as head of the University of North Dakota, Frank McVey became president of the University of Kentucky in 1917 and served the university until his retirement in 1940. Distinguished as an administrator and scholar, he was elected president of numerous state, regional, and national education associations and was active in local affairs. He was the author of ten books.

Morgan, General John Hunt (1825-1864)

Morgan, General John Hunt (1825-1864)
Section C, Lot 17
When General John Hunt Morgan, known as the “Thunderbolt of the Confederacy,” enlisted in the Southern Army his property was confiscated under the so-called “catch-the-rebel attachment law,” so he lived at Hopemont with his mother, John Wesley Hunt’s daughter. He and his Raiders caused havoc with their unorthodox methods of fighting, causing an estimated $10 million in property damage to the Union. Morgan escaped from a Federal prison in Ohio by tunneling out, only to be shot and killed during another daring raid in Tennessee.

Morrison, Colonel James (1755-1823)

Morrison, Colonel James (1755-1823)
Section D, Lot 116
After serving six years in the Revolutionary War, Colonel James Morrison came to Kentucky to establish himself as a merchant and a landholder. Upon his arrival, he quickly became involved in civic affairs. He was land commissioner, state representative, and supervisor to the state representative, and supervisor of the revenue under President John Adams. Later he acquired immense wealth and became one of Lexington’s leading philanthropists. Colonel Morrison bequeathed $40,000 to build the massive Greek-revival building at Transylvania University, which today is known as “Old Morrison.”

Neville, Linda (1873-1961)

Neville, Linda (1873-1961)
Section H-1, Lot 1 and 2
Individually and through the Mountain Fund for Blindness, which she founded, Linda Neville aided thousands of persons and achieved international acclaim. Devoting more than a half century of her life to the prevention and cure of eye diseases among the people of eastern Kentucky, she was awarded the Leslie Dana gold medal of the National Society for the Prevention of Blindness, the University of Kentucky’s Sullivan Medallion, the Lexington Optimist Cup and other honors.

Noe, James Thomas Cotton (1864-1953)

Noe, James Thomas Cotton (1864-1953)
Section 13, Lot
A native of Washington County, James Thomas Cotton Noe was Kentucky’s first poet laureate. He came to the University of Kentucky in 1906 as an instructor in the old normal school and advanced to head of the College of Education. Retiring in 1934, he moved to California. Noe was the author of seven volumes of verse and many contributions to periodicals. He was designated poet laureate of Kentucky by the legislature in 1926. His Tip Sams is still in print after sixty-three years.

Patterson, James K. (1833-1922)

Patterson, James K. (1833-1922)
Section 42
A native of Scotland, Patterson moved to Indiana with his family when he was nine years old. A graduate of Hanover College, he was principal of Transylvania High School during the Civil War years and then taught at Kentucky (Transylvania) University until 1869, when he was named president of the Agricultural and Mechanical College. In 1878, it became an independent state institution that evolved into the University of Kentucky, and he remained as president until his resignation in 1910.

Piatt, Thomas (1877-1965)

Piatt, Thomas (1877-1965)
Section 26, Lot 38 and 39
The first president of the Thoroughbred Club of America, Thomas Piatt was a noted breeder of thoroughbreds at his Brookdale Farm on Spur Road, which he expanded from 210 acres in 1898 to more than 1,200 acres. One of his greatest horses was Alsab, outstanding two-year-old and three-year-old in 1941 and 1942, winner of the American Derby, and victor over Requested and Whirlaway in match races. He was president of the Breeders Sales Company and a director of Keeneland Association and in 1949 he was recognized by the Thoroughbred Club at its annual testimonial dinner for his kindliness, sportsmanship, and character.

Postlethwait, John (1769-1833)

Postlethwait, John (1769-1833)
Section 13, Lot 9
Having moved to Lexington from Carlisle, Pennsylvania in 1790, John Postlethwait soon married a daughter of Governor Scott. He was a town trustee in 1794, and in 1827 was chairman of the Board of Trustees. In 1797, John and his brother Samuel bought a large brick school building at Main and Limestone streets and converted it into a tavern, said to have been the finest in Kentucky. He operated it off and on for the next thirty-six years until his death in the great cholera epidemic. The hotel gained the name Phoenix when it was rebuilt after a fire in 1820.

Ranck, George (1841-1901)

Ranck, George (1841-1901)
Section G, Lot 1
In 1872, George Ranck published the History of Lexington, Kentucky, which is still the most romantic history of the area. He perpetuated the claims of the eccentric Transylvania scientist Rafinesque that Lexington was built on the site of pre-Columbian ruins of a walled city. Historians refuted this idea but still refer to his book for information about early life in Lexington.

Rupp, Coach Adolph (1901-1977)

Rupp, Coach Adolph (1901-1977)
Section 45, Lot 677
As coach of the University of Kentucky basketball team for forty-two years, Coach Adolph Rupp led the Wildcats to four NCAA titles. Additionally, he coached the 1948 U.S. Olympic champions and was elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame. He was a raconteur and public speaker of rare ability, a shrewd businessman and a staunch supporter of the Shrine Hospital for Cripple Children.

Sayre, David Austin (1793- 1870)

Sayre, David Austin (1793- 1870)
Section O, Lot 136
David Austin Sayre is one of Lexington’s best examples of a poor boy who found fame and fortune. Walking barefoot from Maysville, Sayre arrived in Lexington in 1811 with no money. After working as a silversmith for 12 years, he joined a broker’s office. Eventually Sayre became a banker and earned his fortune. He is remembered for his philanthropy, including the donation in 1854 of the building and grounds for Sayre Female Institution, which is a preparatory school today.

Scott, Matthew T. (1786-1862)

Scott, Matthew T. (1786-1862)
Section H, Lot 4
A native of Pennsylvania, Matthew T. Scott originally moved to Frankfort, Kentucky as a boy. He studied law but in 1808 became a clerk in the Bank of Kentucky. Two years later, he moved to Lexington, where he spent the remainder of his life in the banking profession. From 1835 until his death he was an officer of the Northern Bank of Kentucky, serving the last six years as president. He was one of the four men who raised the money to establish The Lexington Cemetery, and was its first treasurer.

Solomon, William King (1775-1854)

Solomon, William King (1775-1854)
Section A, Lot
In the summer of 1833, a cholera epidemic killed 500 Lexingtonians in two months, and half the population fled the city in fear. William “King” Solomon remained to dig the graves, an act which earned him the lasting respect of the town.

Migrating to Lexington from Virginia, “King” Solomon was the town drunk who now and then did odd jobs such as digging ditches. Finally his public drunkenness earned him a vagrancy charge. He was sentenced to be auctioned as an indentured servant to the highest bidder. Aunt Charlotte, a free Negro vendor of homemade cakes and pies, purchased him for 18 cents. When the plague broke out, Aunt Charlotte pled with Solomon to leave the city. Solomon was not afraid of contracting the plague, and he remained. For two months, he labored every day burying the dead and sleeping in the pioneer graveyard at night.

On the first day of the court session in the fall of 1833, Solomon was lounging in the back of the courtroom when the judge spotted him. Without a word, the judge stepped from the bench and walked back to the vagrant. The judge shook his hand, and everyone in the room stood, walked to the gravedigger and did the same. “King” Solomon had become a hero.

Stoll, John George (1878-1959)

Stoll, John George (1878-1959)
Section S, Lot
Newspaperman John George Stoll, editor and publisher of the Lexington Leader beginning in 1914 purchased the Lexington Herald in 1937 and left it editorially free. The newspaper was the Democratic opponent of Stoll’s Republican paper. As a member of Kentucky’s House of Representative, Stoll was a strong Republican and a generous contributor to his party, but he was a businessman first. Knowing that the Bluegrass was predominately Democratic, he maintained the freedom of the Herald to promote the Democratic point of view. In 1953, he created the Lexington Herald-Leader Co., of which he was president. Stoll was president of the Lexington Water Company from 1907 to 1926 and of the Phoenix Hotel Company and First National Bank. He was later vice president of the First and City National Bank and a director of the Security Trust Company.

Sweeney, Mary E. (1879-1968)

Sweeney, Mary E. (1879-1968)
Section P, Lot 129
A native of Lexington, Mary E. Sweeney became known internationally as an authority on home economics and child care. In World War I, she was chairman of home economics in the U.S. Food Administration, headed by Herbert Hoover, and she was in demand as a lecturer and consultant in Europe, India, and China as well as America. She had degrees from Transylvania, the University of Kentucky, and Columbia University, and for twenty years was affiliated with a school for child development and family life in Detroit.

Swope, King (1893-1961)

Swope, King (1893-1961)
Section 45, Lot 21
A graduate of Centre College and the University of Kentucky law school, as well as a captain in World War I, King Swope was elected to Congress in 1919, serving one term. From 1931 to 1940 he presided over Fayette Circuit Court. A leader in Republican politics, he was twice a nominee for governor. His wife, Mary Richards Swope, also active in Republican affairs, was vice-chairman of the board of the Public Health Center and an officer in numerous patriotic and genealogical societies.

Todd, Levi (1756-1807)

Todd, Levi (1756-1807)
Section F, Lot 26
When the Lexington settlers signed a “citizens compact” on January 25, 1807, Levi Todd became a landholder. This specified that the town was to be defined “in lots” of one-half acres each for farming and “out lots” of five acres each for farming. Every man and widow over 21 years of age who had resided in Lexington for six months or who had raised a crop of corn by the following year was entitled to one “in lot” and one “out lot.”

Levi Todd helped defend Harrodsburg against the Indians, survived the Battle of Blue Licks, and became a major general in the Kentucky Militia.

In 1781, the citizens of Fayette County elected the first Board of Trustees of five men. One was Levi Todd. He was elected the first Clerk of Fayette County, an office he held for 25 years. In 1784, Kentuckians wanted to establish themselves as a state independent of Virginia. They met repeatedly in Danville framing and reframing Kentucky’s constitution. Levi Todd and John Breckinridge were delegates to the Constitutional Convention in Danville, Kentucky.

Todd, Robert S. (1790-1849)

Todd, Robert S. (1790-1849)
Section F, Lot 26
A Kentucky senator from Fayette County, Robert S. Todd was the father of Mary Todd Lincoln, wife of Abraham Lincoln.

Townsend, William H. (1890-1964)

Townsend, William H. (1890-1964)
Section 45, Lot 512
A prominent corporate and trial lawyer, William H. Townsend was a nationally recognized authority and writer on Abraham Lincoln and collector of Lincolniana. A reconteur of rare talent, his recorded speech on Cassius M. Clay is regarded as a classic. He was a founder of the Kentucky Civil War Round Table in 1953 and its president until his death, chairman of the Kentucky Lincoln Sesquicentennial Commission and member of the national commission, a trustee of Lincoln Memorial University, and a long-time director of the Lexington Public Library.

Underwood, Thomas R. (1898-1956)

Underwood, Thomas R. (1898-1956)
Article 32, lot 44
Après avoir passé toute sa carrière dans le journal Lexington Herald, Thomas R. Underwood a commencé comme journaliste en 1917 et a été rédacteur en chef de 1935 jusqu'à sa mort. Actif dans la politique démocrate, il est devenu président du Comité central d'État du parti, représentant des États-Unis de 1949 à 1951 et sénateur de 1951 à 1952. Il a été secrétaire de la Kentucky Racing Commission pendant quatorze ans, a été l'un des fondateurs et secrétaire de l'Association nationale des commissaires des courses d'État, et a été un chef de file dans de nombreuses organisations civiques.

Varney, James (Jim) Albert Jr. (1949-2000)

Varney, James (Jim) Albert Jr. (1949-2000)
Article C-1
James Albert Varney, Jr. (Jim Varney), un acteur et comédien américain, est né à Lexington, Kentucky, de Nancy Louise (Howard) et James Albert Varney, Sr. Il s'est intéressé au théâtre à l'adolescence, remportant des titres d'État en concours de théâtre alors qu'il était étudiant au lycée Lafayette à Lexington, Kentucky. Jim Varney est surtout connu pour son rôle largement comique d'Ernest P. Worrell, apparaissant dans de nombreuses campagnes publicitaires et films publicitaires télévisés et pour lequel il a remporté un Daytime Emmy Award. Il a joué Jed Clampett dans une adaptation cinématographique de The Beverly Hillbillies et a interprété la voix de Slinky Dog dans Toy Story et Toy Story 2. Il est décédé d'un cancer du poumon à l'âge de 50 ans le 10 février 2000.

Williams, le général Roger D. (1856-1925)

Williams, le général Roger D. (1856-1925)
Section O, Lot 136
Prospecteur dans l'ouest, Roger D. Williams a été fondateur et président de Lexington Engine and Boiler Works. Il a servi pendant trente ans dans la garde nationale du Kentucky et a commandé les troupes à Francfort après la fusillade du gouverneur Goebel. Il a servi en France pendant la Première Guerre mondiale et a pris sa retraite en 1919 avec le grade de général de brigade. Sportif enthousiaste, il a été organisateur de la National Fox Hunters Association. Le général Williams était marié à Mary Lyle Sayre, une fille d'Ephraim Sayre.

Garrot, Temple Guillaume (1825-1889)

Garrot, Temple Guillaume (1825-1889)
Section F-1, Lot 9
Natif du comté de Harrison, William Temple Withers est devenu avocat et planteur au Mississippi et en Louisiane. Il a servi dans la guerre du Mexique et comme colonel dans l'armée confédérée. Il déménagea à Lexington en 1871 et fonda bientôt Fairlawn Farm à l'extrémité nord de Broadway, qui devint un établissement de premier plan pour les chevaux pur-sang et d'attelage.


Voir la vidéo: Unser Ausflug nach Breckenridge Breck (Octobre 2021).