Podcasts sur l'histoire

Château d'Édimbourg

Château d'Édimbourg

Le château d'Édimbourg, dominant Castle Rock, a servi l'Écosse pendant des siècles, agissant à un moment ou à un autre comme forteresse, résidence royale, siège du gouvernement, armurerie et prison. Théâtre d'innombrables sièges, naissances et décès royaux, intrigues meurtrières et démonstrations militaires, le château d'Édimbourg a longtemps été un symbole de l'histoire écossaise et de la fierté nationale. Aujourd'hui, le château est ouvert au public qui peut voir des sites tels que la pierre de Scone, les insignes royaux écossais connus sous le nom de Honours, le National War Museum, le National War Memorial et des canons médiévaux géants célèbres comme Mons Megs. L'attraction touristique la plus populaire d'Écosse, le château, avec la ville d'Édimbourg, est classé par l'UNESCO comme site du patrimoine mondial.

Histoire ancienne

Perché sur un éperon rocheux volcanique avec des falaises abruptes sur trois côtés, le château d'Édimbourg domine l'horizon de la capitale de l'Écosse. L'occupation du site remonte à l'âge du bronze et des fouilles archéologiques ont révélé que le sommet de la falaise avait été artificiellement nivelé c. 900 avant notre ère. Aux Ier et IIe siècles de notre ère, à l'âge du fer, le site abritait un fort perché typique de cette période. Ce fort était probablement la capitale de la tribu Votadini. Le fort, principalement composé de bois et de terrassements, avait une entrée protégée par deux immenses fossés. Les bâtiments à l'intérieur du fort étaient également en bois et beaucoup avaient des sols et des foyers en pierre. Il existe également des preuves d'un système de drainage en pierre sur le site. Le commerce entre les Votadini et les Romains dans le sud et le centre de la Grande-Bretagne est attesté par la découverte de bijoux importés.

Le fort était connu sous le nom de Din Eidyn, un nom anglicisé plus tard en Édimbourg.

Le château apparaît pour la première fois dans la littérature au début du 7ème siècle CE collection de vers poétiques connus sous le nom Le Gododdin. A cette époque, c'était le site d'une fortification construite par la tribu du même nom, qui contrôlait alors des parties du sud de l'Écosse et du nord de l'Angleterre. Le fort était connu sous le nom de Din Eidyn, un nom plus tard anglicisé en Édimbourg après que les Angles eurent conquis le Gododdin et en prirent possession. Continuant comme forteresse au début du Moyen Âge, malheureusement, il ne reste aucune partie du château ou des fortifications avant le XIe siècle de notre ère, et il n'y a que quelques reliques appartenant aux personnes qui y habitaient autrefois.

Le château médiéval

Sainte Marguerite d'Écosse (ch. 1046-1093) était, en tant que seconde épouse de Malcolm III (r. 1058-1093), la reine d'Écosse de 1070 jusqu'à sa mort en novembre 1093. Son règne et sa contribution à la propagation de Roman Le catholicisme dans son royaume a été commémoré dans la chapelle normande construite au château d'Édimbourg, aujourd'hui la partie d'origine la plus ancienne de la forteresse. La chapelle privée a probablement été construite vers 1130 par le fils de Margaret, David Ier d'Écosse (r. 1124-1153). David s'était lancé dans une vague de construction de nombreux châteaux en Écosse, parmi lesquels se trouvait le château d'Édimbourg où il a probablement construit un donjon de style normand.

Malgré son apparence redoutable sur un rocher puissant et sa relative autosuffisance en eau, grâce au Fore Well, le château s'est avéré quelque peu décevant lors des sièges. Suite à la capture de Guillaume Ier d'Écosse (r. 1165-1214), les Anglais prirent le contrôle du château entre 1174 et 1186. Le château fut reconquis mais, en 1296, Edouard Ier d'Angleterre (r. 1272-1307) réussit à entrer après seulement trois jours de siège. Thomas Randolph, comte de Moray a repris le contrôle du château à la garnison anglaise en 1314 lors de la lutte pour établir les Bruces en tant que maison royale d'Écosse.

Vous aimez l'histoire ?

Inscrivez-vous à notre newsletter hebdomadaire gratuite !

La « tour de David » était autrefois de 30 mètres de haut et l'emplacement des chambres royales pendant environ un siècle après son achèvement au milieu des années 1370 de notre ère.

Robert the Bruce (r. 1306-1329), sans aucun doute peu impressionné par le dossier des forteresses, a ensuite démoli le château jusqu'à ses fondations en 1314, principalement comme un moyen sûr de s'assurer que les Anglais ne l'utiliseraient jamais s'ils capturaient un jour le rocher à nouveau. Une force anglaise a effectivement capturé la citadelle en 1335, et ils ont commencé à reconstruire le château. Cependant, une petite force écossaise dirigée par Sir William Douglas se fait passer pour des marchands et reprend le château pour l'Écosse en 1341.

Un nouveau château royal est devenu le grand projet du fils et successeur de Robert le Bruce, David II d'Écosse (r. 1329-1371). David a ajouté une nouvelle tour massive, inspirée peut-être par un nouvel ajout similaire au château de Windsor en Angleterre. La « tour de David », comme on l'a connue, mesurait autrefois 30 mètres (100 pieds) de haut et était l'emplacement des chambres royales pendant environ un siècle après son achèvement au milieu des années 1370 de notre ère. Jacques Ier d'Écosse (r. 1406-1437) a ajouté une autre tour juste derrière la tour de David vers la fin de son règne, qui contenait une grande salle spécialement conçue pour les banquets. En fin de compte, cette «Grande Chambre» a remplacé les chambres royales de la Tour de David. C'était soit la tour de la Grande Chambre de Jacques Ier, soit la tour de la Grande Salle de David qui a accueilli l'un des épisodes les plus tristement célèbres du château en 1440, le soi-disant « dîner noir ». Ce repas eut lieu lorsque l'entourage du jeune Jacques II d'Écosse (r. 1437-1460 de notre ère) accueillit les deux jeunes héritiers du puissant clan Douglas. Les garçons Douglas ont été invités à dîner assez cordialement, mais le soir en question, on leur a présenté une tête de taureau sur un plateau. C'était un signe pour que les garçons soient emmenés et exécutés.

Il ne reste pas grand-chose de ces ajouts médiévaux au château et la plupart des bâtiments datent aujourd'hui du règne de Jacques IV d'Écosse (r. 1488-1513). La tour de David, par exemple, s'est effondrée lors d'un siège, et ses ruines sont maintenant entièrement recouvertes par la batterie de la demi-lune. La place de la Couronne (anciennement connue sous le nom de Grand Parade et située près de l'ancien site de la tour de David) avait été créée par Jacques III d'Écosse (r. 1460-1488) et survit encore en tant que cour qui est devenue le cœur symbolique de la couronne royale des quartiers domestiques au château sur le modèle des résidences royales contemporaines d'Europe continentale. La grande forteresse médiévale avait enfin commencé sa transformation en palais.

Le château de l'époque moderne

Jacques IV a utilisé le château comme résidence royale, mais son rôle de forteresse n'a pas été complètement oublié, le roi l'utilisant comme dépositaire des pièces d'artillerie du royaume. Le roi Jacques a également ajouté une nouvelle grande salle au château (achevée vers 1510), qui a ensuite accueilli le parlement écossais. La Grande Salle a connu une histoire mouvementée au fil des siècles, les points forts étant son utilisation pour les banquets d'État tandis que les points faibles étaient son utilisation comme caserne militaire puis hôpital au XIXe siècle. Le plafond vu dans la salle aujourd'hui est l'original de la fin du Moyen Âge, l'analyse ayant montré que les poutres en chêne provenaient à l'origine de forêts de Norvège c. 1510. Le Palais Royal de la place de la Couronne était maintenant terminé et était l'emplacement de la première et dernière naissance royale du château, celle du futur Jacques VI d'Écosse (alias Jacques Ier d'Angleterre, r. 1603-1625) le 19 juin 1566 CE .

Le château n'a de nouveau pas réussi à rester en sécurité pendant un siège de quatre jours en 1573 lorsqu'une armée anglaise avec des canons a bombardé les partisans de la déchue Marie, reine d'Écosse (r. 1542-1567) dans une soumission rapide. Après le siège, une énorme batterie semi-circulaire, la Half Moon Battery, a été ajoutée aux défenses du château du côté est. La batterie se vantait d'un groupe de canons en bronze connus sous le nom de « Sept Sœurs ». Cet ajout caractérisait le rôle principal du château en tant que forteresse, les monarques préférant désormais résider dans le palais plus confortable de Holyroodhouse, également dans la capitale. Le château d'Édimbourg a été utilisé comme résidence par certains fonctionnaires de l'État et il est devenu le siège des archives nationales, un arsenal et une prison occasionnelle.

Le château remanié était en effet désormais plus un défi pour les attaquants, comme en témoignent les longs sièges de 1640 pendant les guerres d'Alliance et en 1650 par Oliver Cromwell (1599-1658). Pendant le reste du XVIIe et tout au long du XVIIIe siècle, le château devint une caserne militaire - la chapelle Sainte-Marguerite servait même à stocker des munitions d'artillerie - et un camp de prisonniers de guerre comme lors de la rébellion jacobite (1745-1746) et les guerres napoléoniennes (1803-1815), entre autres conflits. Au fil des ans, les détenus de la prison sont devenus de plus en plus internationaux et allaient des pirates des Caraïbes aux Américains capturés pendant la guerre d'indépendance (1775-1783). En 1842, la prison militaire a été construite pour les soldats désobéissants de la caserne du château ; les punitions imaginatives comprenaient le transport de boulets de canon d'une partie de l'enceinte de la prison à une autre. Il y avait aussi un hôpital militaire.

Dans les premières décennies du XIXe siècle, le château bénéficiait d'un nouveau grand terrain de parade, connu sous le nom d'Esplanade, qui réformait le terrain de parade de 1753 et couvrait l'ancien site d'exécutions publiques connu sous le nom de Castle Hill. Cet espace ouvert accueille désormais le célèbre Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo chaque année en août. D'autres réaménagements ont eu lieu, notamment sur les guérites et le Grand Hall dans le dernier quart du XIXe siècle dans le cadre d'un nouveau processus de montée de la fierté nationale écossaise, une tendance encore attestée par la construction d'un monument commémoratif de guerre national écossais sur le rocher de 1927, un endroit assez approprié étant donné que le château avait lui-même fait l'objet d'un bombardement de Zeppelin pendant la Première Guerre mondiale (1914-1918).

Le château aujourd'hui

Le château d'Édimbourg est aujourd'hui, avec plus d'un million de visiteurs annuels, la destination touristique la plus populaire d'Écosse. En plus d'être un monument impressionnant en soi avec chaque pierre chargée d'histoire, le château abrite également le Musée national de la guerre et trois musées régimentaires. Faisant partie de la ville d'Édimbourg, le château est désigné par l'UNESCO comme site du patrimoine mondial, un honneur décerné en 1995.

Les portes principales du château se trouvent du côté est, le seul côté accessible du plateau rocheux, et ont été construites en 1888 pour remplacer une structure beaucoup plus ancienne. Datant des années 1570 (après le siège de 1573 mentionné ci-dessus), le deuxième ensemble de portes que l'on traverse comprend une herse et était autrefois renforcé par trois paires supplémentaires de portes en bois. Le sommet de cette structure, la tour Argyle, a été ajouté en 1887. Une porte intérieure supplémentaire est la porte de Foog, qui date de la dernière partie du XVIIe siècle de notre ère. Juste après la porte herse se trouve une volée de 70 marches en pierre, les Lang Stairs, qui mènent au cœur du château. Un itinéraire moins fatigant est la route pavée tout droit, construite au 17ème siècle pour permettre à de puissants canons d'être tirés dans le château.

La maison du gouverneur est un bâtiment de 1742 de style géorgien et la résidence officielle du gouverneur qui agit en tant que commandant de l'armée en Écosse. La nouvelle caserne, achevée en 1799, sert de caserne militaire et abrite le musée régimentaire des Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. La salle d'exercices à proximité abrite le musée des Royal Scots et le Royal Regiment of Scotland. Enfin, l'un des coins les plus curieux du château est le cimetière des chiens. Cela a été créé dans les années 1840 et réservé aux fidèles compagnons à quatre pattes des soldats dans les casernes et aux mascottes régimentaires comme Dobbler (mort en 1893), qui a accompagné les Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders en Afrique du Sud, au Sri Lanka et en Chine pendant ses neuf années. de service actif.

Ce plus grand des châteaux écossais contient de nombreux objets d'importance historique, et le principal d'entre eux est la pierre de Scone. Également connu sous le nom de pierre du destin, le bloc de grès était associé aux couronnements des rois écossais médiévaux à l'abbaye de Scone sur l'île de Scone dans le Perthshire. La légende raconte que ce n'est que là où se trouve la pierre que les rois écossais régneront. Retirée d'Écosse par Édouard Ier d'Angleterre en 1296 dans un acte délibéré de propagande politique, la pierre a finalement été restituée au peuple écossais en 1996.

À côté de la pierre de Scone dans la salle de la couronne du château se trouvent les éléments des insignes royaux écossais collectivement connus sous le nom de Honours. Ces objets datent du XVIe siècle et se composent d'une couronne, d'un sceptre et d'une épée d'État. Ils ont été utilisés pour la première fois ensemble lors du couronnement de Marie, reine d'Écosse en 1543 au château de Stirling. Déplacés à divers endroits puis enfermés dans un coffre dans une pièce scellée du château au cours de l'histoire troublée de l'Écosse avec l'Angleterre, les joyaux de la couronne ont été redécouverts par le grand romancier et historien Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832) en 1818. Les magnifiques insignes avaient n'a été vu par personne depuis plus d'un siècle, mais a rapidement été exposé au public dans la salle de la Couronne où ils se trouvent aujourd'hui. Au fil des ans, d'autres bijoux ont été ajoutés pour enrichir la collection, notamment les bijoux Stewart avec la grande bague en rubis qui aurait été porté par Charles Ier d'Angleterre (r. 1625-1649) lors de son couronnement à l'abbaye de Westminster.

Le célèbre canon de Mons Meg réside maintenant au château d'Édimbourg, une pièce d'artillerie construite au milieu du XVe siècle de notre ère, peut-être pour Jacques II d'Écosse. Le canon massif pèse six tonnes et a déjà tiré des boulets de canon de 48 cm (19 pouces) de diamètre sur une distance de 3,2 km (2 miles). Emmené à la Tour de Londres en 1754, Mons Meg a reçu l'honneur d'une escorte militaire complète et est retourné au château d'Édimbourg en 1829. Un autre canon, plus célèbre pour son son à travers la ville que son apparence, est le One O'clock Gun. , qui est tiré chaque jour à 13 heures (sauf le dimanche), une tradition qui a commencé en 1861 comme aide à la navigation pour les navires de passage.


Les légendes et les mystères entourant le château d'Édimbourg

Une nuit d'août, il y a quelques siècles, un type à la rousse fougueuse, aux taches de rousseur et à l'air débraillé, vêtu d'un kilt en tartan que son père lui avait offert, des chaussures usées et usées qui appartenaient probablement à son arrière-grand-père, et une cornemuse attachée autour de son mince corps a été envoyé dans un tunnel secret pour voir où il menait.

Tout un réseau de tunnels souterrains a été découvert sous le Royal Mile, la rue descendante qui relie le château d'Édimbourg et le palais de Holyrood dans la ville d'Édimbourg, anciennement connue sous le nom de Dunedin, ou Athènes du Nord comme certains l'appelaient en raison de sa ressemblance avec la ville des Dieux en Grèce.

Le garçon devait marcher dans le tunnel près du sommet du Royal Mile, jouant un air alors qu'il marchait profondément sous terre. On pensait qu'il sortirait de l'autre côté - où que ce soit. Ses progrès seraient tracés par des gens sur le terrain, aidés par le son de sa musique. C'était du moins le plan.

Une vue d'Édimbourg, en Écosse, vue de Calton Hill le 13 juillet 2017. Dans l'image, le château d'Édimbourg peut être vu au sommet de la colline dans laquelle se trouve la vieille ville de la capitale écossaise.

Mais alors, à mi-chemin du Mile, la musique s'est soudainement arrêtée. Ils ont appelé le nom du garçon, mais personne n'a répondu. Ils ont passé le tunnel au peigne fin, s'aventurant aussi loin qu'ils l'ont osé, à sa recherche. Il était introuvable. Il n'y avait aucune trace de lui ni de son corps maigre et des cornemuses dont il jouait. Le garçon était parti et personne ne savait pourquoi.

Des centaines d'années se sont écoulées depuis et chaque août, l'événement Edinburgh Military Tattoo a lieu dans la ville. À la toute fin, après tous les défilés de kilt traditionnels du régiment écossais, et toutes les chansons jouées par des centaines de batteurs et encore plus de cornemuseurs, un joueur de cornemuse, debout seul et mis en lumière sur les remparts du château d'Édimbourg joue un air lugubre sur ses tuyaux.

Le tatouage militaire d'Édimbourg 2011. Photo : LA (Phot) Sally Stimson/MOD

Il y a eu des rapports étranges sur une mélodie entendue dans les chambres du château qui semble sortir de nulle part. Certaines personnes disent l'avoir entendu en descendant le Royal Mile. La légende locale raconte qu'il s'agit du chant pleurant d'une âme perdue dont le fantôme, errant éternellement dans les tunnels sous la ville, continue de jouer de la cornemuse à la recherche d'une issue.

Alors peut-être que le joueur de flûte solitaire joue l'air triste chaque année à la mémoire du garçon perdu. Ou, sinon pour lui, alors sûrement pour tous ceux qui ont perdu la vie à l'intérieur ou devant les murs en essayant de défendre ou de s'emparer du plus grand bastion d'Écosse.

Le château est devenu un symbole reconnaissable d'Édimbourg et de l'Écosse. Photo par : Andrea Vail CC par 2.0

Il y a rarement un endroit sur la planète qui peut correspondre à l'histoire longue et colorée du château d'Édimbourg - qui, perché au sommet des vestiges d'un ancien volcan éteint, régit l'horizon de la ville regorgeant de contes et de légendes d'autrefois .

Le Grand Hall, Château d'Édimbourg Restauré à sa gloire d'antan, bien qu'il ait été utilisé comme caserne à plus d'une occasion dans son histoire. Photo de Mike Pennington CC BY-SA 2.0

Le château se trouve au sommet de Castle Rock, un bouchon volcanique qui s'est formé il y a 350 millions d'années et a servi d'établissement humain au début de l'âge du bronze. Des fouilles menées dans les années 1990 ont montré des preuves d'habitation avec des archéologues datant que les outils de l'âge du bronze qu'ils ont découverts datent de 850 av.

Des preuves archéologiques indiquent que le site sur lequel ces personnes vivaient était connu sous le nom de « Aluana » ou « endroit rocheux » et, en raison de sa fortification naturelle, Castle Rock est une colonie et une base militaire depuis – une revendication qui en fait la plus longue de toutes les années. zone habitée du pays.

Le château est construit sur une roche volcanique, comme on le voit ici depuis la zone de West Port Photo de Kim Traynor CC BY-SA 3.0

C'est un endroit si ancien qu'au moment où un château a été officiellement mentionné pour la première fois dans la littérature historique, son nom et sa fondation étaient déjà entourés de mythes et de légendes.

La première est liée aux célèbres légendes arthuriennes, ou plus précisément aux pages du poème épique gallois médiéval Y Gododdin. Selon cette précieuse pièce de littérature du 7ème siècle après JC, une forteresse nommée "Le Château des Jeunes Filles" a servi de sanctuaire aux "Neuf Jeunes Filles" dont l'une était la puissante enchanteresse Morgan le Fay, roi Le protecteur dévoué d'Arthur.

Un coup de téléobjectif du château d'Édimbourg contre un beau ciel bleu, Ecosse, Royaume-Uni.

Un autre document, mais cette fois non pas gallois mais d'origine écossaise, le Orygynale Cronykil d'Ecosse écrit par Andrew de Wyntoun, suggère que dans les temps anciens, une fortification nommée « Château de la jeune fille » a été élevée par Ebraucus, roi des Britanniques.

8 châteaux les plus anciens du monde entier

Cependant, le château d'Édimbourg, l'édifice imposant que nous connaissons aujourd'hui, date du XIIe siècle lorsque David Ier, le fils de sainte Marguerite d'Écosse, a d'abord élevé (au moins officiellement) un château sur Castle Rock à la mémoire de sa mère.

L'histoire raconte qu'en 1070 après JC, le roi d'Écosse Malcolm III épousa une princesse anglaise qui, en raison de son équité et de sa nature généreuse, fut connue sous le nom de Sainte Marguerite d'Écosse, gagnant la réputation de « la perle d'Écosse ».

Malcolm et Margaret comme représentés dans un armorial du XVIe siècle.

Son mari est mort au combat et elle, affligée et navrée, est décédée quelques jours après avoir appris la nouvelle. Son fils David I a construit le grand château sur Castle Rock et une merveilleuse chapelle en son honneur.

Les tensions ont augmenté entre l'Angleterre et l'Écosse à la fin du XIIe siècle, et il semble que les monarques et les nobles se concentrent presque toujours sur Édimbourg et le château de la ville. Celui qui la tenait contrôlait la ville d'Édimbourg et, avec cela, l'Écosse.

Ainsi, au fil du temps, il a gagné le droit d'être appelé «le défenseur de la nation» et pour la même raison, il a été assiégé à plusieurs reprises. La première bataille importante a eu lieu à la fin du XIIIe siècle lorsqu'Edward Longshanks (Edouard Ier d'Angleterre) a tenté de s'emparer du château et de s'emparer du trône écossais. Ce n'était pourtant que le début.

Détail d'un dessin contemporain du château d'Édimbourg assiégé en 1573, le montrant entouré de batteries d'attaque.

Tout au long de sa longue histoire, le château d'Édimbourg a été attaqué, assiégé et envahi 23 fois plus que n'importe quel endroit en Grande-Bretagne ou n'importe quel autre château dans le monde. La moitié de ces batailles ont eu lieu pendant une courte période de 50 ans lorsque le château a fait des allers-retours entre les mains écossaises et anglaises pendant les guerres d'indépendance (1296-1341), au cours desquelles le château d'Édimbourg a été presque entièrement détruit.

Chapelle Sainte-Marguerite du château d'Édimbourg à Édimbourg, en Écosse.

Lorsque Robert le Bruce a assiégé en 1314, il a détruit tous les bâtiments sauf un : la chapelle de Margaret, qui est toujours intacte aujourd'hui et est le plus ancien bâtiment d'Écosse.

Une représentation du château de la fin du XVIe siècle, de Braun & Hogenberg’s‘Civitates Orbis Terrarum,’ montrant la tour de David’s au centre.

Les réparations du château ont été menées par David II d'Écosse au 14ème siècle. Mais Édimbourg, le château et le peuple écossais ne devaient pas être laissés pour compte.

L'Angleterre a tenté de reconquérir «le défenseur de la nation» et la nation elle-même à plus d'une occasion, assiégeant après siège le château, l'un d'eux contre Marie, reine d'Écosse en 1573, pendant deux années complètes.

Le château d'Édimbourg tel qu'il était avant le siège de Lang de 1571-73, avec la tour de David et le bloc du palais, au centre et à gauche.

En 1650, Oliver Cromwell réussit dans ses tentatives de capturer le château, tuant Charles Ier, le dernier monarque écossais à siéger sur le trône à Édimbourg.

Dès lors, le château perdit son statut. Au lieu d'être un défenseur d'une nation, il a été transformé en une prison où des milliers de prisonniers militaires et politiques de la guerre de Sept Ans, de la Révolution américaine et des guerres napoléoniennes ont été détenus. Peut-être ont-ils entendu une mystérieuse mélodie de cornemuse dans l'obscurité des donjons qui les a laissés se demander s'ils perdaient lentement mais sûrement la tête.

La splendide capitale de l'Écosse est aujourd'hui la deuxième ville la plus visitée du Royaume-Uni (la première étant bien sûr Londres), et des millions de personnes du monde entier s'y rendent pour voir ses nombreux sites du patrimoine mondial, ses beaux festivals de musique, ses reconstitutions historiques et tout sortes de lieux particuliers qui racontent des histoires de fantômes, de monstres ou de héros folkloriques légendaires.

Le château d'Édimbourg a la réputation d'être le plus hanté et le plus visité de la ville. Et avec une telle histoire et tant de légendes qui s'y rattachent, ce n'est pas une surprise.

Pour ce qui vaut la peine, une mélodie de cornemuse peut toujours être entendue dans les rues d'Édimbourg. Est-ce que ça vient d'un garçon perdu depuis longtemps quelque part au fond des rues, ou juste au coin de la rue ? La seule façon de le savoir est de le vérifier par vous-même. Car si l'on recherche la magie, la ville et son grand château sont aussi magiques et légendaires qu'un lieu puisse l'être.

Martin Chalakoski est un écrivain indépendant attiré par l'histoire et fasciné par les bizarreries. Il a contribué aux Abandoned Spaces et contribue régulièrement à The Vintage News.


10 faits étonnants du château d'Édimbourg

1. Le château est situé au sommet d'un volcan.

La dernière explosion volcanique s'est produite il y a près de 350 millions d'années ! Il existe de nombreuses preuves archéologiques prouvant que la vie y existait également avant les explosions.

La dernière explosion a conduit à la création de Castle Rock. Les architectes ont construit le château au XIIe siècle. Je veux dire, à quel point étaient-ils optimistes pour construire un fort au sommet d'un volcan et espérer qu'il n'entre jamais en éruption ? Blague à part, c'est une création éblouissante de pointe et un symbole de la rivalité entre l'Angleterre et l'Écosse.

Nous parlerons plus tard de la rivalité et de la saisie du château d'Édimbourg.

2. Le château est l'endroit le plus assiégé de toute l'Écosse.

Ce château a probablement vu d'innombrables forces hostiles et a été saisi près de 23 fois ! C'est l'un des forts les plus assiégés de toute l'Europe.

Certains des conflits les plus remarquables de l'histoire écossaise du château sont les suivants :

  • Siège de Longshanks de 1296 : Edward I a laissé le château en ruines et a pillé la ville, expédiant tous les bijoux et trésors à Londres
  • Lang Siege- Dans cette prise, le fort s'est opposé aux forces gouvernementales, se défendant. Cela a duré près de deux ans, de 1571 à 1573. Enfin, la garnison a continué à soutenir Mary Queen of Scots.
  • Insurrection jacobite de 1745 : Bonny Prince Charlie a fait de nombreuses tentatives mais n'a pas réussi à s'emparer du château.

Ce sont quelques-uns des cas notoires qui se sont produits dans le château d'Édimbourg.

3. Le château possède le plus ancien bâtiment d'Écosse.

La chapelle Sainte-Marguerite, qui se trouve sur le même site, est l'un des plus anciens bâtiments encore debout en Écosse.

Le château a été construit sur une longue période, et nombre de ses bâtiments ont été brutalement pillés lors de différentes guerres ou lors de la prise du fort.

La chapelle Sainte-Marguerite a été construite au XIIe siècle. Margaret était l'épouse de Malcolm III, qui était bien connu pour sa sainteté et sa pureté et est décédé d'un cœur brisé trois jours seulement après la mort prématurée de Malcolm sur les champs de bataille.

C'était l'une des rares structures qui n'ont pas été modifiées lorsque Robert le Bruce a saisi et pillé le palais royal en 1314.

4. Le mystère des joyaux de la couronne écossaise.

Les joyaux de la couronne sont également connus sous le nom de “Honors of Scotland”. La couronne, le sceptre et l'épée d'État constituent les honneurs d'Écosse. Tout cela était utilisé autrefois pour couronner les nouveaux princes et rois.

Il y avait beaucoup d'autres insignes britanniques, mais cette paire était la seule à avoir échappé aux mains d'Oliver Cromwell. Il a éradiqué les autres.

Plus tard, après l'Union de 1707, l'Angleterre et l'Écosse ont été réunies sous la même couronne. Les Honneurs d'Écosse ont ensuite été conservés dans un coffre-fort, bien caché dans le château d'Édimbourg.

Ce fait a été complètement effacé de l'esprit des gens. Près d'un siècle plus tard, au XVIIIe siècle, Sir Walter Scott a déterré les Honneurs. Et ils ont été ramenés à la lumière pour que les gens ordinaires puissent les voir.

Pendant la guerre mondiale, ceux-ci ont été à nouveau cachés, car on craignait que ces trésors ne tombent entre les mains des Allemands. Maintenant, il existe un arrangement pour une exposition publique de ces joyaux de la couronne d'Écosse.

5. Le château a une présence sinistre.

On dit que l'esprit du Lone Piper persiste encore dans les centaines de passages du château d'Édimbourg. Un jeune garçon a été envoyé dans les couloirs confidentiels qui se trouvaient sous le château d'Édimbourg. On lui a demandé de jouer de la flûte.

Cela aiderait les experts à marquer et à cerner où menaient les passages souterrains. Le joueur de flûte s'éloigna de sa course et s'éloigna des couloirs.

Personne n'a plus jamais entendu parler de lui. Même à ce jour, il y a un certain sentiment étrange quand on descend dans les donjons, et on peut écouter les airs étranges et fantomatiques de la pipe la nuit.

Il y a des histoires plus poignantes sur le château d'Édimbourg, mais nous y reviendrons plus tard.

6. Le vieux canon du château d'Édimbourg

Pendant le règne des monarques écossais, aucun iPhone ou montre Rolex n'a été trouvé.

Lorsque les navires traversaient le Firth Of Forth, les navigateurs et les marins attendaient avec impatience le château d'Édimbourg pour le moment. C'était le devoir du château de révéler l'heure en tirant pour un canon de 18 livres.

Les navigateurs ajustèrent leurs chronomètres et continuèrent leur voyage. Ce conte de vieilles femmes est maintenant une tradition qui est toujours suivie par les habitants du château.

7. Le château a servi de résidence à un éléphant.

Le 78th Highlanders est revenu du Sri Lanka au château d'Édimbourg. Ils avaient amené un éléphant avec eux.

Étant l'une des principales casernes d'infanterie, l'éléphant vivait avec les camarades. L'éléphant était un fervent amateur de bière et avait l'habitude de visiter la cantine du château pour une pinte. Vous pouvez trouver plus de ses signes au National War Museum of Scotland.

8. Le KGB a modifié le château.

Le roi Jacques IV d'Écosse était un peu paranoïaque à l'idée que les gens aillent dans son dos. Il a régné au 16ème siècle et a ordonné de percer des trous dans le mur pour écouter ses courtisanes. Celles-ci étaient appelées cosses ‘laird’s,’ signifiant oreilles du roi.

Plus tard, lors de la visite du président soviétique Mikhaïl Gorbatchev à Édimbourg, le KGB a ordonné que tous les trous soient cimentés et maçonnés. On n'est jamais trop vieux pour espionner.

9. D'innombrables prisonniers de guerre.

En plus de contenir 21 Pirates des Caraïbes, le château d'Édimbourg a également emprisonné plusieurs Américains pendant la guerre d'indépendance. La sculpture provocante du drapeau américain dans les donjons du fort d'Édimbourg reste la preuve du fait.

10. Un cimetière pour chiens !

Les compagnons canins des bataillons d'Ecosse occupent une place réservée et unique dans la forteresse. La mascotte des Black Watch 42nd Highlanders, Jess et Dobbler, qui ont accompagné Argyll et Sutherland Highlanders dans leurs aventures à travers la Chine, le Sri Lanka et l'Afrique du Sud, occupe des lieux mémorables.

Leur loyauté et leur compassion sont remarquables et ont reçu un immense respect ici en les enterrant juste à côté des soldats qui ont donné leur vie lors des batailles d'Écosse.

L'entrée du terrain du cimetière est respectée mais est visible depuis la batterie Argyll au-dessus.

Bien que les faits soient envoûtants, l'histoire d'Édimbourg ne manquera pas de vous occuper pendant le reste de votre journée !


Histoire du château d'Édimbourg : 900 ans de protection de la capitale écossaise

On estime qu'il y avait autrefois environ 3 000 châteaux en Écosse, mais l'un d'eux se démarque des autres : l'histoire du château d'Édimbourg est marquée par la violence, les intrigues politiques et religieuses, ainsi que l'ascension et la chute des monarques.

Néanmoins, aujourd'hui, la forteresse emblématique d'Édimbourg est la première attraction touristique payante du pays. À l'intérieur, vous pouvez voir certaines des possessions les plus précieuses de la nation, y compris les Honneurs d'Écosse ou les joyaux de la couronne d'Écosse.

Les origines du château d'Édimbourg

Situé au sommet d'un volcan éteint, le château d'Édimbourg offre un excellent point de vue sur la ville. C'était un site naturel pour un édifice qui combinait défense, contrôle et honneur.

La partie la plus ancienne du château – qui est également le bâtiment le plus ancien d'Édimbourg – est la chapelle Sainte-Marguerite, qui date du XIIe siècle.

La chapelle a été construite par le roi David Ier pour commémorer sa mère, la reine Margaret (plus tard St Margaret).

Avec le temps, le roi David II a ajouté la tour de David, de conception résidentielle et défensive. Le grand Grand Hall était l'œuvre du roi Jacques IV. Sa caractéristique principale est un toit en bois avec des poutres reposant sur des pierres gravées de symboles de l'Écosse et de ses monarques. Aujourd'hui, ses murs scintillent d'une impressionnante exposition d'épées, de boucliers, d'armures et d'armes.

Attaques contre le château d'Édimbourg

En tant que bastion militaire et bâtiment le plus prestigieux de la capitale écossaise, le château d'Édimbourg a été capturé et repris à plusieurs reprises. En fait, il a été assiégé plus que tout autre endroit en Grande-Bretagne, avec 23 tentatives enregistrées pour « capturer le château ». Taking the castle wasn’t just a tactical coup for Scotland’s enemies but a blow to the morale of the Scots. Violent tensions, often between England and Scotland, are now consigned to the history books but conflicts were brutal and unforgiving.

Captured in 1296 by England’s King Edward I, the Scots reclaimed it with a night attack in 1314. The English successfully attacked again in 1335 before, in 1341, Scots disguised as merchants took it back. Cromwell’s forces occupied the castle in 1650. At one point it was even handed over to the English as a ransom payment. It was captured twice by Covenanters in the 17th century, fighting against King Charles I’s imposition of Episcopacy. Bloody battles ensued with the Jacobites in the 18th century.

The ascent of King James VI

As a thriving tourist attraction today, the Royal Palace within Edinburgh Castle is a big draw as it was the home of Scotland’s kings and queens. A highlight is a small room where events unfolded that changed British history. In 1566 the birth chamber saw the arrival of a little boy, son of Mary, Queen of Scots, who was made King James VI of Scotland just a year later.

Mary, Queen of Scots’ strained relations with England led her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I, to sign her death warrant. When Queen Elizabeth I died without issue, the bloodlines led back to Mary’s son James. In 1603 the crowns of England and Scotland were united and James VI of Scotland also became King James I of England and Ireland.

In 1617 King James I returned to Edinburgh Castle to celebrate his Golden Jubilee. His birth chamber was redecorated for the occasion: it’s still possible to see the gilded decoration.

Scotland’s Crown Jewels

Scotland’s Crown Jewels, or the Honours of Scotland, are on display in the Crown Room. These include a sceptre presented to King James IV by Pope Alexander VI in 1494 a sword, gifted in 1507 by Pope Julius II and the crown, which was first worn for the coronation of Mary of Guise in 1540.

As potent symbols of the Scottish monarchy, protecting the jewels was paramount. In the 1650s, the Honours were whisked to Dunnottar Castle, in the northeast of Scotland, then onto the small village of Kinneff, to evade Cromwell’s Parliamentarian Army.

After the Union of England and Scotland in 1707, they were locked away and not seen again until 1818. During WWII the Honours of Scotland were tucked away below a medieval latrine closet in case of Nazi invasion.

Another key attraction is the Stone of Destiny. Present at the coronation of Scottish monarchs for centuries, the stone – while unassuming to look at – is powerfully symbolic. In 1296, King Edward I of England removed the stone from Scone Palace in Perthshire and had it built into his own throne at Westminster Abbey.

On Christmas Day in 1950, four Scottish students managed to steal the stone. Its disappearance caused uproar and its location was a mystery until it was found, draped in The Saltire, outside Arbroath Abbey in 1951. This was no random drop off point but the site where the Declaration of Arbroath – in which Scotland’s nobles swore their independence from England – was written in 1320. The stone was returned to London until, in 1996, it was given back to Scotland. It will only leave the country again for a coronation at Westminster Abbey.

Edinburgh’s military links

Edinburgh Castle’s colourful military past has created other poignant sites on the sprawling complex, which adds a brutal reality to the tales of invasion, duplicity and heroics. The National War Museum of Scotland first opened in 1933 and covers 400 years of conflict. The Prisons of War exhibition tells of the inmates who languished in the castle, from pirates captured off Argyll to a five-year-old drummer boy from the Battle of Trafalgar.

The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards still have a small military garrison at the castle, but it’s the National War Memorial that often stops people in their tracks. It opened in 1927, when the architect Sir Robert Lorimer and 200 Scottish artists and craftsmen first created a Hall of Honour and Shrine, which features delicate stained glass and sculptures dedicated to Scotland’s lost generations and the names of the fallen on the Rolls of Honour.

The One O’ Clock Gun

One of the greatest appeals of Edinburgh Castle is that it’s still part of the city’s daily life. The firing of the One O’Clock Gun, which once allowed ships in the Firth of Forth to set their maritime clocks, still marks time in ‘Auld Reekie’. The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo and summer concerts are also huge draws.

And the biggest party of the year is, of course, Hogmanay, where new year celebrations see fireworks light up the skies, musicians performing and revellers partying as the nation – and the whole world – celebrate with the people of Edinburgh and its mighty castle.


Edinburgh Castle, The Story of A Magnificent and Historic Castle


Prior to joining the United Kingdom, Scotland is a kingdom of its own under the name Kingdom of Scotland. As an empire, of course, Scotland also has a castle as the residence of the royal family as well as the bastion. The castle is Edinburgh Castle, the most important building in the history of Scotland at the same time most iconic landmarks and buildings in the city of Edinburgh and even Scotland.

Château d'Édimbourg stands majestically on the Castle Rock hill which has a height of 130 meters above sea level. This hill formed from the remains of a volcano that has erupted estimated at 340 million years ago.

Until the end of the prehistoric era, has not found evidence to suggest that this hill was inhabited. But then the area around the hill grown rapidly and become a civilization. In the year 683, the city was founded by British troops and later named as Edinburgh. Since then, Scotland have started to be colonized by the British forces with Castle Rock serve as one of the centers and military headquarters.

Edinburgh Castle is known was built in the 12th century by King David I. He was the youngest son of the ruler of Scotland before, that King Malcolm III with the daughter of the British empire which later became known as the Queen Margaret. The castle was built by using rocks from the volcano so it looks magnificent and sturdy .

One of the first buildings constructed in the complex of the castle is St Margaret’s Capel, built in memory of his mother. King David uses the castle as a center of military power as well as administrative center in Scotland. The desire of Scotland to escape from the British cause frequent conflicts between them, and the center of the conflict is of course always leads to mastery of Edinburgh Castle.

Which party has control of Edinburgh Castle is believed to have mastered the entire area of Scotland. A Scottish independence war which first occurred in 1926 when England led by King Edward I who invades Scotland and then mastered Edinburgh Castle. This raises the reaction and resistance of the people of Scotland, led by one of the greatest hero William Wallace.

Edinburgh Castle Image. Image Via: edinburghcastle.gov.uk

Edinburgh Castle on The Castle Rock Hill

Scotland’s independence war struggle continued until many years with continued by Robert the Bruce, one of the greatest kings of Scotland. During the war took place, either Scotland or England alternately occupied the Edinburgh Castle.

When Scotland re-mastered by the British, the two royal marriages are not uncommon. One is that King James IV of Scotland, married Margaret Tudor, the eldest daughter of Henry VII of England. The marriage would produce offspring Scottish king who has a British royal lineage.

So when the power vacuum in England after Queen Elizabeth I died without a male heir, James VI of Scotland who is the great-grandson of King James IV became the only offspring who is entitled to be king. Appointment of King James VI of Scotland became king of England marked the merging of the two kingdoms, and he was known as King James I of England.

Edinburgh Castle Scotland UK

Edinburgh Castle Scotland Photography. Image Via: dreamhouseapartments.com

Since then, Edinburgh Castle is no longer used as the residence of the king of Scotland. Last King of Scotland descent who masters English and Edinburgh Castle was King Charles I. After the reign of Charles I, Edinburgh Castle widely used by the British empire as a place to imprison prisoners of war, be it from the Seven Years War, the American Revolution until the Napoleonic Wars.

But the defection of events prisoners of this jail in 1811 makes this castle is no longer safe for use as a prison. Since then, Edinburgh Castle then functioned as a national monument and opened to the public. Renovations and improvements subsequently made to the castle in order to be more attractive for the visitors to come.

Edinburgh Castle is now known as one of the most attractive tourist destinations in the city of Edinburgh. The castle is in the form of a complex consisting of magnificent buildings in it. The building that will be first seen when entering the main gate is the Half Moon Battery, which is a ring-shaped high wall built on the ruins of David’s Tower.

This fortress was first used as one of the main defenses of the castle, complete with weapons and special chambers for storing ammunition. The room is now used as a gallery to display the artifacts and implements of war that remain. The main building and the most protected of course, is a building that is home to the royal family, the Royal Palace.

In place is then born great kings of Scotland, including the King James VI. The exterior of the building is decorated by the clock tower and became one of the most iconic among other buildings in the castle. The interior of the building is decorated with decorations and paintings which make it the most beautiful building.

One of the most interesting rooms is the Crown Room, a place to store and display objects that are symbols like the royal crown, robes, swords or armor king. Another magnificent room of the castle is the Great Hall, the most spacious room which is used as a place to hold ceremonies, including the appointment of a king or a formal banquet.

This building was built during the reign of King James IV in the 16th century, with a Renaissance-style interior design. In the era after the leadership of King Charles I, the hall is a barracks or shelter for the troops. A collection of various types of weapons and armor as well as the many amenities featured in this room.

One of the interesting attractions of Edinburgh Castle, is the One O’Clock Gun, the event shelling is done every day to indicate that the time has shown at 1 pm. Shelling was first performed in 1861 as a time marker signal for ships that are in the area, Firth of Forth, the water flows towards the sea to the north.

Although it is now shipping a marker signal that time is not necessary, but the shelling has become one of the attractions of interest to visitors. At first the shelling was held in the castle Half Moon Battery by using a 64-pounder cannon, now these attractions is done by using the 105 mm cannon on the ramparts overlooking the north, the Mill’s Mount Battery.

Edinburgh Castle Photo. Image Via: dailyrecord.co.uk

Edinburgh Castle Aerial View

In addition to these attractions, visitors will also be able to see a collection of guns and weapons owned by the castle, one of which is Mons Meg, one of the world’s most famous weapons. Edinburgh Castle still has a few pieces of other buildings were also magnificent and interesting, such as St. Margaret’s Capel which is the oldest building in the complex of the castle, dungeon, Scottish National War Memorial, and the National War Museum and Regimental Museum.

There are many historical, heroic stories, buildings and objects of interest that can be seen in the castle. During this visit the castle, visitors will be accompanied by an audio guide that will accompany the trip to explore the most magnificent buildings in Scotland. Visiting Edinburgh city would not be complete without visiting Edinburgh Castle.


A Turbulent Past

As conflicts continued between England and Scotland towards the end of the 12th century, Edinburgh and its castle became the focus of the invaders. It became obvious that whoever held the stronghold in their grasp, controlled the city of Edinburgh and consequently Scotland. The castle then earned the title of “the defender of the nation”.

When Robert the Bruce laid siege to Edinburgh Castle in 1314, he almost destroyed every building within the castle except for Margaret’s Chapel, which is now considered to be the oldest surviving building in Scotland.

England continuously tried to siege the castle and take hold of it one of those sieges was against Mary, Queen of Scots in 1573, which lasted for two full years. In 1650, the infamous Oliver Cromwell succeeded in his attempts to capture the castle, killing Charles I, the last monarch to rule Scotland from Edinburgh.

Afterwards, Edinburgh Castle was turned into a prison where thousands of military and political prisoners were held over the years from the Seven Years War, the American Revolution, and the Napoleonic Wars.

Nowadays, millions of people from all over the world travel to Scotland to visit its numerous world heritage sites, entertaining music festivals, historical re-enactments and get to know its mysterious tales and legends.

Edinburgh Castle is known as the most haunted castle in the city, so it’s no surprise it has so many visitors year round.

Edinburgh Castle Opening Times:

Last Entry one hour before closing time.

Ticket Prices:

Gate Prices:

Online Prices

A child ticket is for ages between 5 – 15. Concessions include the unemployed and over 60s.

Have you ever visited Edinburgh Castle? Comment below your experience and your favourite part of the Scottish Gem.


Edinburgh Castle to transform into ‘Castle of Light’

History is set to come to life at Edinburgh Castle this winter, as the iconic landmark is illuminated with tales from Scotland’s past.

The mesmerising 90-minute journey of light, sound and wonder, entitled Castle of Light, will treat guests to an evening of dazzling animations, never seen before at the castle in its 900 year history. Running over six weeks throughout the festive season, from Thursday 14 November to Sunday 22 December, the castle will be transformed using state-of-the-art projections and enchanting storytelling.

9-year-old Erin Kempton took to the castle to enjoy a sneak preview of what’s in store as Castle of Light was officially launched, with early bird tickets on sale from 9.30am tomorrow morning (Tuesday 3 September).

The countdown is now on to the event which will be the biggest light experience to hit the city centre, bringing together a consortium of the finest digital and visual talent in Scotland to create a truly immersive experience which will captivate locals and visitors alike every Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Gillian Macdonald, Head of Business Development at Historic Environment Scotland (HES), which operates Edinburgh Castle, said: “Castle of Light invites visitors to watch the history of this iconic landmark come to life as it illuminates the very walls that saw it unfold.

“Using state-of-the-art projections to create a truly wonderful, immersive lighting adventure, this is sure to be a magical experience for all the family and we can’t wait for everyone to enjoy it."

Double Take Projections, NL Productions, Andy McGregor Design and War Productions Ltd are working together, in partnership with HES, to create an innovative illuminated walking tour, with timed entries between 5.30pm and 8.30pm.

Among them, the group have provided projection lightshows around the globe from The Enchanted Forest in Pitlochry to Sydney Opera House via the Forth Bridges and Blackpool Tower. The creation of this world class event, hosted in their home city, within such an iconic building, will be a truly unique experience.

Andy McGregor, Creative Director of Castle of Light, said:

“I grew up by the Meadows in the shadow of this rock but I'm now seeing the Castle with fresh eyes. As a team, we will be drawing on the history, geology, mythology and the sheer drama of the site to conjure a spectacle that we hope will excite, entertain and enlighten audiences of all ages and backgrounds. To a certain extent, it is like being given a set of (very big) keys to a (a very big) toy shop – but with rather more responsibility! - and we are thrilled to be involved in such an exciting project for this national treasure.”

Tickets for the Capital’s first light spectacular, set within the historic walls of Edinburgh Castle, go on sale tomorrow, Tuesday 3 September, from 9.30am with special early bird rates available for September. Tickets will also be available for an ‘Access’ night taking place on Monday 2 December for people with additional support needs.

Standard tickets cost £20 (concessions, family tickets and discounts for Historic Scotland members available). F

About Castle of Light

Dates: Castle of Light will run every Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from Thursday 14 November to Sunday 22 December, excluding Thursday 28 November. In addition to these dates, a special ‘access’ night will be held on Monday 2 December, for guests with additional support needs.

Time: Timed entry from 5.30pm to 8.30pm. Event closes at 10pm. HES suggest that you allow around 90 minutes to fully experience the show.

Early bird rates (for September only)
Adult (16-59yrs) £18 Concessions (60yrs+) £14.40 Child (5-5yrs - must be accompanied by an adult) £10.80.

Standard
Adult (16-59yrs) £20 Concessions (60yrs+) £16 Child (5-5yrs - must be accompanied by an adult) £12.

Castle of Light Consortium Partners

War Productions Limited
War Productions Limited have been trading since 1989 and has a strong focus towards the artistic use of digital video. Beginning as a lighting company, WarPro’s creative bent shifted towards the use of live projection in the very early days of the technology as production company for Orbital, Aphex Twin, Shamen and more. WarPro have specialized more and more in the creative use of projection for an ever growing commercial and artistic client base

Double Take Productions
Double Take Projections Ltd is an innovative Scottish design consultancy specialising in creating immersive visual experiences using a technique called Projection Mapping. They are a bespoke company, creating unique one-off spectacles, and able to radically alter the character of an environment or object by projecting from different angles onto a variety of surfaces.
Double Take have years of experience of producing and designing some of Scotland’s biggest Light shows. Double Take are a one stop shop for projection activity, designing content, designing social content and marketing material.

NL Productions
NL Productions is a creative event production company based in Leith with more than forty years’ experience in the industry.
Over the years, NLP has built up a large number of professional relationships across a wide variety of industries based on trust, reliability and a high standard of communication and project management.

Andy McGregor
Andy McGregor has over 25 years’ experience as a multimedia artist, designer and creative director. He was a founder member of the art / dance music & performance group Fini Tribe and pursued this alongside a degree at Glasgow School of Art. In the late 80’s he began working in digital media and enrolled in the post graduate electronic imaging course in Dundee. He has consistently worked at the boundaries of design, art, technology and performance. He has produced work for high profile organisations such as The National Galleries of Scotland, Historic Scotland, Glasgow Life, Venice Theatre Biennale, Edinburgh International Science Festival, Harper Collins Publishing UK, The Queen’s Gallery at Holyrood House and Drambuie Distillers.

About Historic Environment Scotland (HES)

  • We are the lead public body charged with caring for, protecting and promoting the historic environment. We will lead on delivering Scotland’s first strategy for the historic environment, Our Place in Time.
  • Historic Scotland, Scran, Canmore, The National Collection of Aerial Photography (NCAP), The Engine Shed, Stirling Castle and Edinburgh Castle are sub-brands of HES.
  • View our press pack and keep up to date by registering for media release email alerts. If you wish to unsubscribe, please contact us.

Follow Historic Environment Scotland

For press information, please contact:

Heather Marston / Lisa Fox Bennett
3x1 Group
Tel: 0131 225 7700
[email protected] / [email protected]


Ghosts of Edinburgh Castle Scotland's haunted fortress on the hill

Visitors near and far stand in awe of this ancient fortress atop Castle Rock, a towering land formation created from a volcanic plug. The craggy peak has been inhabited since the Bronze Age (900 BC), while records indicate Edinburgh Castle has been in existence since 600 AD. In the epic Welsh poem Y Gododdin, a work that dates back to anywhere between the 7 th and early 11 th centuries, are references to Din Eidiyn, the stronghold of Edinburgh.

The ancient citadel has since seen its share of sieges, attacks, military occupations, and royal residents. With its history of upheaval, it’s no wonder Edinburgh Castle has been regarded as the most haunted location in Scotland.

Tortured souls from centuries ago reportedly still linger in the castle’s many halls, chambers, and dungeons. Those who wander these passages today report strange sensations such as a sudden drop in temperature and feelings of being watched. Some experience unexplained sounds, a ghostly touch across the face and burning on the arm, or a tugging on one’s clothing. Photographs snapped at the site reveal patches of fog, sometimes colored green.

Such supernatural encounters led a team of nine paranormal researchers to investigate the Scottish castle in 2001. Along with 200 carefully chosen participants—none of whom had prior knowledge of its haunted lore—the team delved into every nook and cranny and reported on what they saw. The verdict? More than half encountered paranormal activity in areas already known to be haunted.

What spirits could be behind this otherworldly activity? For that, we must take a trip through Edinburgh Castle’s haunting past.

The castle’s dungeon has a high degree of paranormal activity. Countless prisoners have been locked up in its cells, suffering torture, malnourishment, and death. More than 500 French prisoners were held here during the Seven Years War and later American colonial captives from the American Revolutionary War.

Many have been lost to time, but one inmate’s tale lives on. A prisoner desperate to escape buried himself in a dung barrow. He made it past the guards, only to meet his death as the barrow’s contents were dumped down the steep, rocky slope of Castle Rock. He makes himself known by trying to push you off the battlements and emanating a strong scent of dung.

The tragic end of one royal captive lives on as well. During the 16th century, Lady Janet Douglas or Lady Glamis was wrongfully accused of witchcraft and burned at the stake as her 16-year-old son watched in horror. She was happily married to the 6th Lord of Glamis until his death in 1528. Alas, King James V considered the Glamis family a threat to his power. Once her husband passed, King James accused Lady Glamis of poisoning him. He tortured and forced false confessions out of her servants and family, seized Glamis Castle (once Queen Elizabeth’s childhood home) and sent her to the castle dungeons to await her execution. She was nearly blind from the subterranean darkness by the time guards brought her to the stake. Hollow knocking can be heard late at night, which some say are the sounds of workers constructing the platform where Lady Glamis was burned alive.

Another hotbed of activity is the Royal Mile, a busy succession of streets that lead through the Old Town to Edinburgh Castle. Below the Royal Mile are underground caverns, unearthed by townsfolk several hundred years ago. A piper playing bagpipes was instructed to explore the tunnels that stretched from High Street to Holyrood House, a place of Scottish royal residence for the likes of Mary, Queen of Scots. He played a tune as he moved deeper into the caves so that others could mark his progress from above.

Then, at about the half-way point, the music abruptly stopped. A rescue party went in to look for the piper, but they found not a trace. If you listen closely while in Edinburgh Castle, you may hear his lonely bagpipes playing from the street above or within the fortress walls.

In addition to these haunting tales, are a bevy of lesser-known spectral figures wandering the castle grounds. Legends tell of a headless drummer from the 17 th century who taps upon his snare. The ghostly outline of a man in a leather apron has been seen walking through a doorway in one of the castle’s haunted vaults. Even canines can’t rest easy here. Just beyond the castle entrance, visitors have seen a black hound with a misty glow around it. The dog is believed to be buried in the pet cemetery by the Army Garrison.

The paranormal tales surrounding Edinburgh Castle go on and on. The deeper one wanders down its stone corridors, the more ghosts you’re bound to meet.


Click the button below to get instant access to these worksheets for use in the classroom or at a home.

Télécharger cette feuille de travail

Ce téléchargement est exclusivement réservé aux membres Premium de KidsKonnect !
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!

Edit This Worksheet

Les ressources d'édition sont disponibles exclusivement pour les membres Premium de KidsKonnect.
Pour modifier cette feuille de calcul, cliquez sur le bouton ci-dessous pour vous inscrire (cela ne prend qu'une minute) et vous serez ramené directement à cette page pour commencer à éditer !

This worksheet can be edited by Premium members using the free Google Slides online software. Clique le Éditer bouton ci-dessus pour commencer.

Télécharger cet exemple

Cet échantillon est exclusivement réservé aux membres KidsKonnect !
Pour télécharger cette feuille de travail, cliquez sur le bouton ci-dessous pour vous inscrire gratuitement (cela ne prend qu'une minute) et vous serez ramené directement à cette page pour commencer le téléchargement !

Edinburgh Castle is a historic fortress that dominates the skyline of the city of Edinburgh, Scotland from its position on Castle Rock. Human settlers have lived here from as far back and the Bronze and Iron Age. For more fascinating facts and information about Edinburgh Castle, see the fact file below or download the comprehensive worksheet pack which can be utilized within the classroom or home environment.

  • Edinburgh Castle is built on the Castle Rock, which is a large, inactive volcano that is believed to have risen around 350 million years ago.
  • The summit of the castle rock is 130 meters (430 ft) above sea level and has rocky cliffs on the south, west, and north, rearing up to 80 meters (260 ft) from the surrounding landscape. This means the castle can only be reached from the east, where the ridge is less sloped, and the defensive advantage may have played an important part in the decision to build Edinburgh Castle there.
  • Archaeologists are unsure when Castle Rock was first used by humans and there are no records of Roman interest in the site up to the end of the first century AD (100 AD).
  • The first possible mention of Castle Rock may have been in a map, called Ptolemy’s map, in the 2nd century AD. This map shows a settlement called “Alauna” which means “rock place” and could be the earliest know name of Castle Rock.
  • An archaeological dig in 1990 revealed that people on the Bronze Age or Iron Age that followed were the first people to live there, and built a fort on Castle Rock in 2nd century AD, mid-way through the Iron Age.
  • In the early Middle Ages, Edinburgh Castle is next mentioned in 600 AD in a poem which describes a band of warriors who spent a year feasting in their fortress before fighting to the death in the battle with the Angles at Catreath in Yorkshire.
  • The first mention of a castle in Edinburgh was an account that Queen Margaret (also known as Saint Margaret of Scotland) was living at Edinburgh Castle when she heard that her husband, King Malcolm III, had died in November 1093.
  • The account also says that Queen Margaret herself died a few days later because she was overcome with grief from the loss of her husband and King Malcolm’s brother Donald Bane laid siege to the castle.
    • It was during the reigns of King Malcolm III and his sons that Edinburgh Castle became one of the most significant royal centers in Scotland. Malcolm’s son King Edgar died there in 1107.
    • King David I, Malcolm’s youngest son, reigned from 1124–1153 and spent much of his time at Edinburgh Castle where he developed Edinburgh as the center of royal power in Scotland.
    • Edinburgh Castle is thought to have been built using timber, although two stone buildings were documented as early as the 12th century. One of these buildings, St. Margaret’s Chapel, remains at the summit of the rock to this day.
    • During the Wars of Scottish Independence, starting in 1296, King Edward I of England launched an invasion of Scotland and Edinburgh Castle came under English control.
    • Edward I of England died in 1307 and on March 4th, 1314, a surprise night attack by Thomas Randolph, 1st Earl of Moray recaptured the castle for Scotland and the King of Scots, Robert the Bruce, ordered Edinburgh Castle defenses be destroyed to prevent the English re-occupying it.
    • Ownership of Edinburgh Castle changed between England and Scotland throughout the Wars of Scottish Independence in the 13th and 14 centuries.
    • In the 14th century, King David II began to rebuild Edinburgh Castle, and David’s Tower was started in 1367. When David II died in 1371, King Robert II completed the tower in the 1370s.
    • During the 15th century, the castle was used increasingly as an arsenal and armaments factory. This means Edinburgh Castle was used to store and make ammunition and guns. The first gun was purchased for the castle in 1384 and the “great bombard” Mons Meg was delivered to Edinburgh in 1457. A bombard is a type of large cannon which fires cannonballs. Mons Meg was 6 feet 6 inches long and fired 20-inch cannonballs.
    • In the 18th century and early 19th century, the castle vaults of Edinburgh Castle were used as a prison for many conflicts. These include the Seven Years’ War (1756–1763), the American War of Independence (1775–1783), and the Napoleonic Wars (1803–1815).
    • It was also during this time that several new buildings were built inside the castle. This included stores, powder magazines, the Governor’s House (1742), and the New Barracks (1796–1799).
    • The use of Edinburgh Castle came after a large prison break in 1811, after 49 prisoners of war escaped via a hole in the south wall.
    • However, the castle was used once more as a prison during World War I and World War II.
    • Edinburgh Castle is now under the care of Historic Scotland, part of the government, and is Scotland’s most-visited paid tourist attraction, with over 1.4 million visitors every year. In fact, over 70% of all visitors to Edinburgh also visit the castle.

    Edinburgh Castle Worksheets

    This bundle contains 11 ready-to-use Edinburgh Castle worksheets that are perfect for students who want to learn more about Edinburgh Castle which is a historic fortress that dominates the skyline of the city of Edinburgh, Scotland from its position on the Castle Rock. Human settlers have lived here from as far back and the Bronze and Iron Age.

    Download includes the following worksheets:

    • Edinburgh Castle Facts
    • Edinburgh Castle Word Search
    • Picture Crossword
    • Fact or Bluff
    • Edinburgh Castle Timeline
    • Who am I?
    • Parts of the Castle
    • Remplir les espaces vides
    • Poster Making
    • Edinburgh Castle in History
    • Edinburgh Castle Acrostic

    Lier/citer cette page

    Si vous référencez le contenu de cette page sur votre propre site Web, veuillez utiliser le code ci-dessous pour citer cette page comme source originale.

    Utiliser avec n'importe quel programme

    Ces feuilles de travail ont été spécialement conçues pour être utilisées avec n'importe quel programme d'études international. Vous pouvez utiliser ces feuilles de travail telles quelles ou les modifier à l'aide de Google Slides pour les rendre plus spécifiques aux niveaux d'aptitude de vos élèves et aux normes du programme d'études.


    Edinburgh Castle History

    King James VI of Scotland (James 1 of England upon the death of Queen Elizabeth in 1603) was born in the castle by Mary, Queen of Scots. The ancient Honours of Scotland – the Crown, the Sceptre and the Sword of State – are viewable in the Crown Room the ‘infamous’ Stone of Destiny has also been kept here at the castle.

    The Scottish National War Memorial, designed by Lorimer, built shortly after World War One is another highlight in the castle. Edinburgh Castle is also the home of the One O’Clock Gun. This is fired every day except Sunday at precisely 1pm, a wonderful city institution, a reminder to break for lunch.

    The Edinburgh Castle Esplanade hosts annually the world-famous Edinburgh Military Tattoo over a three-week period in August. The Scottish Army & various guests present music, marching and historical reenactments under floodlights.

    The oldest building at Edinburgh Castle is St Margaret’s Chapel (above), which survived various sieges due to its religious significance: it was probably requested by King David, following his mother’s (Queen Margaret, d.1093) death at this site. Members of Edinburgh Castle garrison still have the right to marry in the Chapel building.

    Edinburgh Castle sits on the volcanic rock – the ‘crag’ of glacial ‘crag and tail’ – with the tail being the Royal Mile tapering mound which falls down to Holyroodhouse. Fronting the Castle is a gently sloping rectilinear space called the Castle Esplanade. This is a good viewing point for the city.

    There is evidence of human habitation on the Castle Rock – 135m above sea level – as far back as the Bronze Age. The early fort was called Din Eidyn, and was occupied by the Votadini, a local Celtic tribe. Les Votadini were also present at another settlement on another volcanic rock, Traprain Law, just east of Haddington.

    In 1174 to 1186 Edinburgh Castle was given to the English by King William the Lion with four other Scottish castles as security for his ransom. During the Wars of Independence (1296 – 1342) the Castle changed hands four times.
    Robert the Bruce won Edinburgh Castle back from the English in 1314. Edward III of England built a new castle in 1335 but held it only until 1341.

    Facilities
    Edinburgh Castle Restaurant – Mills Mount with self & table service
    open 7 days a week
    last ticket sold 45 mins before closing

    Horaires d'ouverture
    check times: 0131 225 9846
    1st Apr to Oct 31st
    9.30am until 6pm, last admission 5.15pm
    1st Nov to Mar 31st
    9.30am until 5pm, last admission 4.15pm
    Christmas Day & Boxing Day
    Castle closed
    1st Jan
    11am until 5pm

    Des prix (current Nov 2005)
    Adult £9.80 Child £3.50 Concessions £7.50

    Mills Mount Cafe, Edinburgh Castle
    Mon-Sun. 9.15am – 5.15pm – contact: jane.mackenzie(at)sodexho.co.uk
    Edinburgh Castle building: please check with owners for details re access & charge

    Contact Edinburgh Castle +44 (0)131 225 9846

    View of the scottish capital looking east from Edinburgh Castle:

    photo © AW

    Military Tattoo

    The Edinburgh Tattoo is a major Scottish event which is popular all over the world. Tattoo webcam: www.outdoorexplorer.co.uk/tattoo

    There has been a proposal to relocate the Edinburgh Military Tattoo in the west part of Princes Street Gardens, below Edinburgh Castle.

    The structurally-expressive temporary stand – erected annually – on the Edinburgh Castle Esplanade is reportedly insufficient for current needs. The Military Tattoo takes place in front of the castle every Edinburgh Festival for three weeks.

    In the mid-eighties Morris and Steedman (Architects) were commissioned to produce detailed plans for a 10,000 seat Edinburgh Tattoo arena ‘below’ Edinburgh Castle, unveiled in 1989 to much controversy. Princes Street Gardens are protected but limited building work has been undertaken latterly as part of the RSA’s Playfair Project. Morris and Steedman’s Tattoo Arena was apparently influenced by the Acropolis parti in Athens.

    Les Edinburgh Tattoo began in 1950 at Edinburgh Castle and sells around 200,000 tickets per annum and is watched by approximately one million people on TV. The Edinburgh Tattoo is highly iconic and rooted in Highland traditions, yet the structure is vividly modern, its cantilevering metal spaceframe contrasting with the worn stone context.

    Although it is temporary, for many visitors (ie for the Festival or typically every Summer) the Edinburgh Tattoo is always there and thus a fascinating modern intervention in the absolute heart of the City at the head of the Old Town’s royal axis and high above the city so massively visible: it shouts ‘the Festival has started’.

    Image above from the Castle Esplanade showing Earl Haig with, beyond, Ramsay Gardens on left, and the Hub on the right.

    Edinburgh Castle Contact e-mail: hs.explorer(at)scotland.gsi.gov.uk

    Edinburgh Castle Ticket Office

    Scottish Castles : Structures in Edinburgh & Lothian

    A poular shopping destination in the capital: Jenners department store

    Edinburgh Castle context : Outlook Tower – Camera Obscura

    No larger images of the castle:

    images © AW

    The lighting at Mills Mount Restaurant is by Jonathan Speirs (of Speirs and Major), designed in conjunction with Hugh Broughton Architects

    Comments / photos for the Edinburgh Castle Scotland – Historic Scottish Architecture page welcome


    Voir la vidéo: Les Fantômes du Château dEdimbourg Voyages au Cœur de lÉtrange (Octobre 2021).