Podcasts sur l'histoire

Monument choragique de Lysicrate

Monument choragique de Lysicrate


Le musée J. Paul Getty

Un monument circulaire avec des colonnes corinthiennes bordant l'extérieur. Le monument a un toit rond et est placé sur un podium carré. Le monument est partiellement excavé et le sol autour présente de petits tas de gravats. Il y a quelques maisons aux toits de tuiles derrière le monument.

Ces informations sont publiées à partir de la base de données des collections du Musée. Les mises à jour et les ajouts découlant des activités de recherche et d'imagerie sont en cours, avec du nouveau contenu ajouté chaque semaine. Aidez-nous à améliorer nos dossiers en partageant vos corrections ou suggestions.

Veuillez noter que cette base de données peut inclure des images et un langage original considérés comme désobligeants, offensants ou graphiques, et peut ne pas convenir à tous les téléspectateurs. Les images, les titres et les inscriptions sont des produits de leur époque et du point de vue du créateur et sont présentés ici comme une documentation, et non un reflet des valeurs de Getty. La langue et les normes sociétales changent, et le catalogage d'une collection est un travail continu. Nous vous encourageons à participer pour améliorer notre compréhension de notre collection.

Tout a été mis en œuvre pour déterminer avec précision le statut des droits des œuvres et de leurs images. Veuillez contacter Museum Rights and Reproductions si vous avez de plus amples informations sur le statut des droits d'une œuvre contraires ou en plus des informations contenues dans nos dossiers.

/> Le texte de cette page est sous licence Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, sauf indication contraire. Les images et autres médias sont exclus.

Le contenu de cette page est disponible conformément aux spécifications du cadre international d'interopérabilité des images (IIIF). Vous pouvez voir cet objet dans Mirador - une visionneuse compatible IIIF - en cliquant sur l'icône IIIF sous l'image principale, ou en faisant glisser l'icône dans une fenêtre de visionneuse IIIF ouverte.


Monument choragique de Lysicrate

Voir toutes les photos

Dans la Grèce antique , des concours de théâtre annuels parrainés par chorégoï, riches mécènes des arts dramatiques, ont eu lieu au Théâtre de Dionysos. Les chorēgos qui ont parrainé la performance gagnante ont reçu un prix, un grand trophée sous la forme d'un trépied de bronze. En 334 avant JC, Lysicrate a reçu le premier de ces prix et a commandé un monument pour son trophée.

Le monument se trouve sur la rue Tripidon (rue des trépieds), l'ancienne route qui menait de l'entrée de la ville au théâtre, et était autrefois bordée de monuments chorragiques. Les fondations des autres ont été découvertes dans les années 1980, mais le monument de Lysicrate est le seul qui reste intact.

Le monument a une base de marbre cubique et une rotonde avec des demi-colonnes de style corinthien qui soutiennent une architrave. Au-dessus de l'architrave se trouve l'entablement, contenant des frises représentant des scènes de la pièce gagnante de Lysicrate. Ils montrent Dionysos, le dieu grec de la scène, vainquant les pirates en les transformant en dauphins. L'entablement supportait à l'origine un dôme, aujourd'hui disparu, qui était la base de trois rouleaux contenant le trophée en forme de trépied.

En 1658, un monastère capucin français fut fondé sur le site et réussit plus tard à acheter le monument. Les moines utilisaient le monument comme bibliothèque et il a survécu au fil des ans en partie grâce à cela. Le monastère lui-même a quelques autres titres de gloire. Le poète Lord Byron y séjourna lors d'une visite en Grèce en 1810 et écrivit son célèbre poème, "La Pucelle d'Athènes". Et en 1818, un moine a planté les premiers plants de tomates en Grèce à côté du monument Lysicrate dans les jardins du monastère.

Le monument choragique a été endommagé et partiellement enterré sous les décombres en 1824 pendant la guerre d'indépendance grecque, lorsque le monastère a été détruit. Il a été restauré avec l'aide du gouvernement français et se dresse maintenant fièrement sur sa place homonyme.


Renaissance du monument choragique de Lysicrate aux jardins botaniques royaux de Sydney

Le monument choragique restauré de Lysicrates situé dans les jardins botaniques royaux de Sydney devrait être dévoilé le 16 octobre.

Le monument vieux de 148 ans était tombé dans un état de désespoir au fil des ans. Cependant, grâce à John et Patricia Azarias qui ont entrepris une mission de deux ans pour restaurer le trésor national, le monument a bénéficié d'un lifting de 600 000 $ grâce à un financement privé et gouvernemental.

Le couple visitait les jardins en 2014 lorsque le monument abandonné a attiré leur attention.

“Les humains érigent des monuments et nous pensons qu'on se souviendra d'eux à travers eux et ensuite les gens ne les voient plus ils deviennent transparents. Et cela est arrivé à ce monument », a déclaré M. Azarias à neoskosmos.com.

M. Azarias a expliqué qu'ils étaient en mesure d'attirer des donateurs de tous horizons.

“La communauté grecque a été la première à répondre…Les donateurs sont venus d'horizons très divers – africain, anglo-celtique, chinois, grec, indien, italien, chrétien, juif, musulman – un autre témoignage de la vitalité et de la diversité de cette ville fabuleuse.”

Mais il n'y a pas que le monument qui a été restauré à la communauté puisque M. et Mme Azarias ont également formé la Fondation Lysicrates, inspirée du monument à Athènes qui a été érigé en 334 avant JC par choregos Lysicrates en commémoration de son triomphe au Théâtre de Concours Dionysos.

La Fondation Lysicrates invite chaque année trois dramaturges à interpréter la première scène de leur pièce et le gagnant reçoit 12 500 $ pour l'aider à terminer son travail.

« En substance, nous faisons revivre la Grande Dionysie », a déclaré M. Azarias à neoskosmos.com. “Chaque spectateur entre au conservatoire, reçoit un petit jeton en céramique et regarde une pièce après l'autre. Quand ils partent, il y a trois urnes, une pour chaque pièce, et ils y mettent le jeton qu'ils ont. L'urne qui en a le plus est la gagnante.”

Les dramaturges présélectionnés pour le prix Lysicrates 2017 seront annoncés plus tard ce mois-ci et seront joués au Sydney Conservatorium of Music en février.


Le monument choragique restauré de Lysicrate sera dévoilé

John Azarias a toujours pensé que la société devait promouvoir la créativité.

Pour lui personnellement, l'opportunité s'est présentée en mai 2014, à la suite d'une promenade fortuite dans les jardins botaniques royaux de Sydney lorsque, avec son épouse le Dr Patricia Azarias, il s'est retrouvé devant le monument choragique de Lysicrates - une réplique du original, érigé à Athènes en 334 avant JC par choregos Lysicrates en commémoration de son triomphe au concours du Théâtre de Dionysos.

Familier avec le monument et sa signification, ils ne pouvaient s'empêcher de remarquer le mauvais état du grès.

“Les humains érigent des monuments et nous pensons qu'on se souviendra d'eux à travers eux et ensuite les gens ne les voient plus ils deviennent transparents. Et c'est arrivé à ce monument", a déclaré M. Azarias Néos Kosmos.

C'est à ce moment-là qu'il prend l'initiative de restaurer le mémorial et de former par la suite la Fondation Lysicrates.

En tant que directeur exécutif de divers conseils d'administration et ancien diplomate, M. Azarias s'est mis à passer des appels téléphoniques à la recherche de la générosité des gens. Faisant partie de l'histoire de l'Australie, il a découvert que les gens étaient très heureux de soutenir l'initiative.

"La communauté grecque a été la première à répondre", dit-il, tout en ajoutant qu'il ne voulait pas s'appuyer sur un seul secteur de la communauté, le reconnaissant comme un projet collectif de Sydney.

“Les donateurs sont venus d'horizons très divers – africains, anglo-celtiques, chinois, grecs, indiens, italiens, chrétiens, juifs, musulmans – un autre témoignage du dynamisme et de la diversité de cette ville fabuleuse.”

Le monument, commandé pour la première fois par le triple premier ministre de la Nouvelle-Galles du Sud, Sir James Martin, a d'abord été conservé dans sa maison de Potts Point jusqu'en 1943, date à laquelle il a été déplacé vers sa position actuelle dans les jardins.

John avec son épouse le Dr Patricia Azarias.

Deux ans après le début de leurs efforts, les Azarias ont réussi leur mission de restaurer le monument à son ancienne gloire grâce au programme des tailleurs de pierre du gouvernement de l'État, qui a coûté 600 000 $ au total et rendu possible grâce à un financement privé et gouvernemental.

Mais ce n'est pas seulement le monument qu'ils ont fait revivre. Dans le but d'encourager et de récompenser le talent théâtral en Australie, ils ont réintroduit le modèle de théâtre Great Dionysia lui-même avec le prix Lysicrates.

Rappelant les trois trilogies de l'Athènes antique, trois dramaturges présélectionnés sont invités à interpréter la première scène de leur travail, et contrairement à d'autres compétitions de ce calibre, c'est le public qui détermine le gagnant un concept qui n'a été mis en œuvre nulle part dans le monde depuis 2000 ans.

« En substance, nous faisons revivre la Grande Dionysie », déclare M. Azarias. “Chaque spectateur entre au conservatoire, reçoit un petit jeton en céramique et regarde une pièce après l'autre. Quand ils partent, il y a trois urnes, une pour chaque pièce, et ils y mettent le jeton qu'ils ont. L'urne qui en a le plus est la gagnante.”

Non seulement le dramaturge obtient l'approbation du public, mais il reçoit également 12 500 $ pour l'aider à écrire la pièce complète.

Le prix inaugural en 2015 a été décerné par le premier ministre de NSW Mike Baird, et en 2016 par le ministre fédéral des Arts, Mitch Fifield.

Mais l'idée de retirer le pouvoir du directeur artistique des mains n'a pas été initialement accueillie d'un bon œil.

« Quand nous sommes allés pour la première fois rendre visite à la directrice artistique du Griffin Theatre pour lui parler de notre idée, elle a dit que nous étions fous », admet M. Azarias.

“Le directeur artistique de chaque théâtre est un gardien, tout le monde va et les supplie de reprendre leur pièce et nous allons ici pour lui dire que vous donnerez votre rôle au public.”

Bien qu'en persévérant et en le faisant, il dit que la fondation a créé une plate-forme alternative pour les producteurs de théâtre et les directeurs artistiques pour voir comment le public réagit. À l'avenir, il espère que l'événement s'étendra sur deux ou trois jours et attirera l'attention du monde entier.

Parallèlement à l'inauguration du monument ce mois-ci, le Lysicrates Prize 2015 : The People’s Choice book sera lancé et les dramaturges présélectionnés seront annoncés pour le Lysicrates Prize 2017. La représentation devrait suivre au Sydney Conservatorium of Music en février, et dans le but d'attirer des personnes de tous les secteurs de la société, il n'y aura pas de frais d'entrée.

"Nous voulons avoir des gens de tous les codes postaux, de tous les groupes d'âge et pas seulement les suspects habituels qui vont normalement au théâtre ou sont de la scène théâtrale", a déclaré M. Azarias.

Pour certains, cela peut sembler demander beaucoup d'efforts pour commémorer un moment de l'histoire ancienne depuis longtemps. Mais pour M. Azarias, c'est bien plus que cela.

"Le monument fait partie de notre patrimoine ici, il a 148 ans et nous ne célébrons pas seulement notre passé, mais nous promouvons également la créativité australienne", qui, selon lui, est l'objectif principal de la fondation.
« La devise de notre fondation est que ce sont les gribouillis, les barbouilleurs et les têtes d'œufs assorties qui sont les véritables trésors d'une société, ceux qui capturent nos histoires - ils seront ceux dont on se souviendra. Rien d'autre ne restera dans les mémoires à l'avenir, rien d'autre.”


Le modèle même d'un monument antique-moderne

Démolition de “Pennsylvania Bank, 1867,” Détail de l'épreuve à l'albumine de John Moran, photographe. (The Library Company of Philadelphia) Le monument choragique de Lysicrate, tiré des antiquités d'Athènes de James Stuart, 1762. (Bibliothèques Smithsonian)

Dans les années 1830, vous auriez pensée les gens pourraient commencer à se lasser de voir tous les derniers architectes traduire leur ville en grec. Et ils force ont, sans la manière de William Strickland de combiner le très ancien et le très nouveau. Cette génération d'architectes/ingénieurs la plus créative de la génération locale n'a pas hésité à faire progresser le jeu de quelques crans. Strickland a sorti sa copie de Stuart Antiquités d'Athènes, un livre qui existait depuis soixante-dix ans et qui avait longtemps été utilisé comme source par des architectes tels que Benjamin Henry Latrobe, John Haviland et Strickland lui-même.

Mais les enjeux étaient plus élevés maintenant. Strickland a relevé le défi de donner un sens architectural sur un terrain à bâtir très important et de forme étrange défini par Dock, Walnut et Third Streets. Et il s'est retrouvé à travailler dans l'ombre du chef-d'œuvre de son mentor, la Bank of Pennsylvania. Ce chantier difficile exigeait une solution puissante et innovante. Presser un temple grec rectangulaire sur un terrain à bâtir triangulaire ne ferait tout simplement pas l'affaire. Strickland avait besoin de trouver des solutions de conception encore plus audacieuses, mais aussi plus mûrement réfléchies.

Et c'est ce qu'il fit. Strickland a placé sur l'extrémité étroite de ce coin un portique semi-circulaire surélevé, faisant de cette façade orientale l'apparence d'une grande entrée sur une place civique. (En réalité, il s'agit de l'arrière grand et arrondi du bâtiment. Strickland a fait de Third Street l'entrée conviviale.)

Perspective de l'ancienne bourse des rues Dock et Walnut, 24 mars 1915. (PhillyHistory.org)

Ici, à Philadelphie, à quelques pâtés de maisons du fleuve de la ville, face au soleil du matin (le même qui illuminait l'Athènes antique) se tenait le chef-d'œuvre de Strickland. Contrairement à ses autres bâtiments néo-grec, ce n'était pas une réplique arrachée des pages de Antiquités d'Athènes. Voici un panneau d'affichage en 3D d'éléments grecs desservant Philadelphie, ici et maintenant.

Pour la coupole, qui a rassemblé l'ensemble du projet, Strickland s'est inspiré de l'illustration de Stuart d'un monument de 334 av. Le monument choragique de Lysicrate était un piédestal d'autosatisfaction de 21 pieds pour un prix choral remporté lors d'un concours des arts du spectacle, dans le cadre du même festival qui a produit les grands drames d'Eschyle, Sophocle et Euripide. Stuart et William Henry Playfair ont conçu des répliques littérales dans le Staffordshire et à Édimbourg. Ici à Philadelphie, Strickland a pris de grandes libertés avec le design et a obtenu des résultats très américains.

Il a déplacé le « monument » du niveau de la rue au toit. Il l'a fait exploser pour doubler la taille de l'original, créant une structure géante de 40 pieds de haut et 14 pieds de diamètre définissant l'horizon. Et au lieu d'interpréter le monument choragique de Lysicrate dans la pierre pour les âges, Strickland l'a conçu dans du bois dont il savait qu'il ne pouvait durer que quelques décennies. (Il serait remplacé tous les soixante ans environ.) Désormais, loin de l'Europe, ce monument éphémère à l'échelle Pop-Art, archéologiquement correct, ferait écho au passé. Mais plus important encore, ici au-dessus du paysage urbain de Philadelphie des années 1830, ce monument vivrait vraiment dans l'instant.

Côté est du Merchant Exchange Building, 2 novembre 1960. (PhillyHistory.org)

La bourse des marchands, et en particulier la tour à son extrémité est, deviendra un élément essentiel d'un nouveau réseau d'information de haute technologie. Bien avant 1837, lorsque Samuel F.B. Morse a breveté son télégraphe (et manière plus longtemps avant que quiconque ne rêve d'Internet), les Européens et les Américains disposaient de « télégraphes optiques » capables de transmettre rapidement des messages codés sur de grandes distances. Dès 1807, le Congrès américain avait débattu et finalement voté en faveur du financement d'une chaîne de tours télégraphiques optiques longue de 1 200 milles reliant New York et la Nouvelle-Orléans – un projet qui est tombé à l'eau. Mais ce n'était pas tiré par les cheveux. Plus d'une décennie plus tôt, l'invention de Claude Chappe, le « télégraphe visuel à sémaphore », a vu le jour en France sous la forme d'une connexion de 143 milles entre Paris et Lille qui deviendrait un réseau de plus de 500 tours à travers l'Europe s'étendant sur 3 000 milles. En 1799, lorsque Napoléon Bonaparte arrive au pouvoir, il envisage d'étendre la technologie à travers la Manche.

Bourse des marchands, vue vers l'est depuis le dessus de la troisième rue, lors de la construction de la 3e coupole, 25/10/1964. (PhillyHistory.org)

Ainsi, lorsque l'architecte américain William Thornton envisagea de connecter l'Amérique du Nord et l'Amérique du Sud en 1800, les possibilités ont fait valser les têtes. En peu de temps, les hommes d'affaires américains de Boston et de New York possédaient leurs propres réseaux télégraphiques optiques. Au moment où le Merchants Exchange était en construction, un télégraphe optique à Boston suivait les expéditions, le commerce et les investissements en temps réel.

« Le temps et la distance sont anéantis », devient la proclamation populaire, un mantra des années 1830.

Il n'est donc pas surprenant que la coupole du Merchant Exchange au-dessus des rues Dock et Walnut ait joué un triple rôle : comme perchoir pour les employés avec des télescopes identifiant les navires se dirigeant vers et depuis le port de Philadelphie, comme endroit pour envoyer et recevoir des messages clignotants depuis New York à travers les plaines du New Jersey, et le message le plus durable de tous : que Philadelphie était enfin devenue une version moderne de l'Athènes antique.


Monument Choragique de Lysicrate - Histoire

Parcourir

Note du conservateur

Il s'agit d'une variante très inhabituelle du monument choragique. Fouquet n'a pas basé sa reconstruction de modèle sur des représentations de l'original à Athènes, qui était un monument élevé en l'honneur de la chorégraphies ou Lysicrates sponsor théâtral. Un drame qu'il avait organisé et financé, soit en 335, soit en 334 av. Le prix était un trépied en bronze qui, pour commémorer la victoire de Lysicrate, a été installé sur le petit monument circulaire qui porte son nom (334 av. Au lieu de cela, Fouquet a basé le modèle sur la soi-disant « Lanterne de Démosthène », une grande folie en forme de tour, construite en 1801 par Napoléon Ier dans le parc du château de St Cloud, Paris, dont les deux parties supérieures étaient vaguement basé sur le monument classique. La structure circulaire ouverte contenait un buste de l'Empereur (répliqué en miniature dans le modèle de Fouquet) et la Lanterne serait illuminée pour indiquer que Napoléon était en résidence au Château. Le monument choragique original de Lysicrate était beaucoup plus court que la tour de St Cloud et la section centrale était formée d'un tambour creux en maçonnerie avec des colonnes corinthiennes engagées. En 1870, à la suite de la guerre franco-prussienne, la lanterne de Démosthène à St Cloud est détruite.

Ce modèle, ainsi que l'Arc d'Hadrien (MR74) ont été gravement endommagés pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale, probablement lorsqu'une mine terrestre est tombée sur Lincoln's Inn Fields dans la nuit du 15 octobre 1940, brisant la vitrine ainsi que le modèle en plâtre.

Les colonnes de plâtre brisées nous permettent de voir l'armature intérieure de bronze que Fouquet utilisait pour renforcer le plâtre fragile. Il semblerait que ces tiges de bronze aient été positionnées dans les moules des fûts des colonnes, puis le plâtre liquide était versé autour d'eux.


Le monument choragique de Lysicrate dévoilé

L'un des monuments historiques les plus complexes de Sydney a été restauré à son ancienne gloire, grâce au travail de l'unité spécialisée des tailleurs de pierre du gouvernement de la Nouvelle-Galles du Sud, d'un groupe de philanthropes de Sydney et du Royal Botanic Garden.

Le monument choragique de Lysicrate, situé dans les jardins botaniques royaux, est une réplique de 1870 d'un ancien monument grec datant de 334 av.

Le ministre des Finances, des Services et de la Propriété, Dominic Perrottet, a dévoilé aujourd'hui le monument, qui a été restauré en partie grâce à un investissement de 200 000 $ dans le cadre du programme de maçonnerie du ministre.

"Le monument Lysicrates représente la riche histoire et le patrimoine culturels qui ont façonné notre ville, notre État et notre nation, et nous devons simplement préserver cette histoire pour les générations futures", a déclaré M. Perrottet.

« Plus tôt cette année, le gouvernement a engagé un financement supplémentaire de 2 millions de dollars pour nos tailleurs de pierre spécialisés afin de restaurer et de préserver nos icônes du patrimoine, et j'ai été ravi de pouvoir inclure la préservation de ce monument dans le cadre du programme.

Des tailleurs de pierre au travail à Yellowblock.

En plus de ses liens avec la Grèce antique, le monument de Sydney a une importance historique locale considérable. Il a été commandé en 1868 par le premier ministre James Martin (d'après qui Martin Place a été nommé) et est sculpté dans le grès emblématique Yellowblock de Sydney.

Situé à l'origine dans le jardin de Martin’s Potts Point, le monument a été sauvé de la démolition en 1943 et transféré dans les jardins botaniques royaux par le premier ministre de l'époque, William McKell, à la suite d'une campagne menée par le journaliste du Sydney Morning Herald Fritz Burnell.

En 2014, un groupe de philanthropes de Sydney a remarqué que la pluie et les vents avaient érodé le grès doux et doré du monument. Le groupe a formé la Fondation Lysicrates, qui a travaillé en étroite collaboration avec le programme de maçonnerie du ministère et les jardins botaniques royaux pour restaurer le monument.

L'entretien continu du monument sera soutenu par la Fondation Lysicrates et les Jardins botaniques royaux. La Fondation Lysicrates a également créé un concours annuel d'écriture de pièces de théâtre dans la tradition théâtrale grecque dans le cadre de son travail de promotion des arts de la scène et des arts visuels en Australie.


Conservation (Construit) – Monument Chorégique

Le monument chorégique de Lysicrates est situé dans les jardins botaniques royaux, à proximité de la digue de Farm Cove. Le monument est une copie de l'original, érigé à Athènes en 334 av. Le projet comprenait la recherche, l'évaluation de l'état, le dessalement, le re-découpage et la stabilisation de la surface. L'instigation et la participation de la communauté ont constitué une partie importante de ce projet.

Le monument chorégique est important pour sa forme, ses matériaux, son artisanat et ses associations historiques. Le monument est inscrit au National Trust Register, au LEP de la ville de Sydney et est un élément situé dans une zone de conservation. Le monument original en Grèce est considéré comme la première utilisation externe de l'ordre corinthien et est inclus dans les livres d'histoire de l'architecture pour démontrer la composition du chapiteau corinthien. La copie de Sydney datant de 1870, permet aux universitaires, aux étudiants et à la communauté d'avoir accès à une réplique fidèlement proportionnée pour étudier et profiter.

Le monument démontre les compétences de spéléologie et de copiste de haute qualité du tailleur de pierre Walter McGill, connu pour avoir également sculpté les glorieux chapiteaux corinthiens du musée australien. Le monument est important pour son association avec l'ancien premier ministre de la Nouvelle-Galles du Sud, Sir James Martin, comme à Martin Place, qui a commandé les travaux pour son jardin à Potts Point en 1870. Le monument a été déplacé dans les jardins botaniques royaux en 1943.

Instigation du projet :
En 2014, des particuliers, Patricia et John Azarias ont observé que le monument Choragic avait besoin de soins lors d'une promenade dans les jardins botaniques royaux de Sydney. Ils ont créé la Fondation Lysicrates pour collecter des fonds auprès de donateurs privés et le programme de maçonnerie du ministre du gouvernement de l'État (MSP) a égalé les fonds dollar pour dollar. Il s'agit du premier partenariat privé/public que le MSP a entrepris. Le coût total du projet était de 450 000 $.

Approche de conservation :
Avec le financement de donateurs privés sont venues des idées préconçues de «restauration» et des attentes du monument pour qu'il apparaisse propre et amélioré. L'équipe MSP a travaillé en étroite collaboration avec les donateurs pour offrir un cadre de prise de décision en matière de conservation pour le monument basé sur les principes directeurs de la charte de Burra. Un défi majeur de ce projet était de décider du niveau de remplacement de la pierre compte tenu de l'état actuel et de l'exposition continue à des conditions environnementales difficiles. Les questions d'importance fondées sur la forme (ordre corinthien) ont été étroitement évaluées en termes d'authenticité.

Dans la hiérarchie des éléments importants au sein du monument, la frise est très importante car les sculptures racontent l'histoire du dieu grec Dionysos combattant les pirates qui se transforment en dauphins lorsqu'ils sont jetés à l'eau. La frise est constituée de 3 pierres, chacune racontant un tiers de l'histoire. L'équipe a choisi de re-graver l'une des trois pierres (orientée sud-ouest) en raison de son état de dégradation avancé. La surface de cette pierre avait perdu tous les détails reconnaissables, comme le montrent les photographies ci-jointes. Bien que les deux pierres restantes soient dans un état raisonnablement altéré, le taux de détérioration a été ralenti par le dessalement et le rejointoiement des zones supérieures pour empêcher l'infiltration d'eau. L'objectif principal du projet était de conserver autant que possible le grès d'origine tout en stabilisant et en protégeant le monument dans son ensemble afin de garantir que l'importance de l'élément est conservée pour la prochaine génération.

Recherche et documentation :
Des dessins mesurés ont été préparés pour cartographier l'état de la pierre afin de fournir un enregistrement dans le futur et de comparer l'état avec les enregistrements préparés par le Stone Program il y a 20 ans. Des photographies professionnelles d'archives ont été commandées pour enregistrer le Monument avant, pendant et après les travaux. Le processus de re-gravure a obligé les tailleurs de pierre à rechercher des différences d'échelle et de style entre le monument original et la version de Sydney. Un document clé auquel il est fait référence pour re-graver l'une des pierres de la frise a mesuré les dessins de l'original de « Les antiquités d'Athènes » par Stuart et Revett publié en 1748.

Engagement de projet et héritage :
En résumé, aucun autre monument public de la Nouvelle-Galles du Sud n'atteint une telle diversité d'intérêts communautaires. Les travaux de conservation ont été le catalyseur de nombreux événements communautaires importants et durables et de poursuites créatives, principalement en raison de la passion des instigateurs des projets Patricia et John Ararias.

La Fondation Lysicrates - Le Dr Patricia Azarias et John Azarius se sont inspirés de la Fondation Lysicrates pour collecter des fonds privés afin de contribuer à la conservation du monument chorégique. Une fois cet objectif atteint, la Fondation a créé le prix Lysicrates, l'équivalent du prix Archibald pour les dramaturges, en association avec le Griffin Theatre.

Communauté grecque - à travers la connexion du monument avec l'original 334B.C. Monument chorégique à Athènes. John Azarias, a été interviewé à la radio grecque au sujet du projet de conservation et du prix Lysicrates Theatre.

Communauté juridique - James Martin a commandé le Monument f en 1870. La conservation du monument a suscité un intérêt dans la communauté juridique pour rendre hommage à Martin pour ses réalisations en tant que premier premier ministre et juge en chef d'Australie. Un discours inaugural de Martin a été créé par la Fondation Lysicrates et prononcé par l'hon. T.F.Bathurst AC, juge en chef de NSW le 25 novembre 2016 (livret commémoratif ci-joint).

Communauté théâtrale – Le prix Lysicrates a été créé en 2015 et est un prix de théâtre annuel, le prix Archibald pour la dramaturgie, inspiré du monument grec antique, érigé en 334 av. à Athènes pour célébrer la victoire du sponsor Lysicrates au concours de théâtre Grande Dionysie de cette année-là.
Cet événement de Sydney attire au moins 500 personnes au Monument chaque année car il sert de cadre à l'annonce du gagnant. Article de Financial Review, 3 février 2017 (ci-joint) et interview sur la radio Eastside 89.7FM http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/arts-and-entertainment/theatre-and-dance/sydney-philanthropists-create-the-lysicrates -prix-20170131-gu2c75

Byron Society - le monument original a un lien important avec Lord Byron, qui a écrit de la poésie à l'intérieur du monument tout en restant à Athènes dans les années 1800. L'Australian Byron Society a organisé des rassemblements dans les jardins botaniques du Monument pour célébrer l'anniversaire de Byron.

Stonework Conservation - Le dévoilement de l'achèvement de la conservation de l'œuvre a été présenté sur ABC News.

Publié le 16 octobre 2016. L'éducation sur l'importance de l'article et les travaux de conservation était un aspect important du projet.

Une chanson ‘The Ballad of Martin and Lysicrates’ – écrite par l'épouse du gouverneur de NSW, Mme Hurley et chantée par Mme Hurley lors du dévoilement public de l'achèvement des travaux de conservation dans les jardins botaniques en octobre 2016.

A travaillé sur le projet :
Programme de la pierre du ministre, ministère des Finances, des services et de l'innovation

Ce que les juges ont dit :

“Travail formidable du programme de maçonnerie du ministre sur une réplique d'un monument grec de 334 av.


Architecture européenne et américaine (1750-1900)

Cette leçon couvre l'une des périodes les plus passionnantes de 150 ans en architecture, 1750-1900. Des changements sismiques se sont produits dans les zones de :

Mode de vie: Au cours de ces années, de nombreuses personnes ont quitté la campagne pour la ville. L'Angleterre a atteint un équilibre 50/50 vers les années 1850. L'équilibre américain s'est produit vers les années 1920. Cette industrialisation a provoqué la création de nouveaux types de bâtiments.

Gouvernement: À la fin du XVIIIe siècle, le monde occidental a connu deux révolutions massives : la Révolution américaine et la Révolution française. Les monarchies ont perdu le pouvoir et des gouvernements démocratiques ont été créés.

Patronage: Le mécénat religieux et aristocratique a cédé la place à davantage de commandes de gouvernements démocratiques et d'individus riches et autodidactes.

La technologie: Des progrès ont été réalisés dans les matériaux de construction, les transports et les machines. Les matériaux traditionnels tels que la brique et la pierre ont été remplacés par les métaux ferreux (fer et acier) et le verre.

Les architectes et les concepteurs ont tenté d'atténuer leur formation avec les exigences de la vie moderne - mises en évidence non seulement - dans l'architecture elle-même, mais aussi dans les textes architecturaux, la décoration intérieure, les fouilles et le design urbain, dont certains seront abordés dans cette conférence. Les progrès dans ces catégories ont finalement mis la profession du bâtiment de manière irrévocable sur la voie de l'architecture moderne du XXe siècle.

Le point de départ de cette leçon présuppose que les étudiants soient conscients des tendances de l'architecture baroque et rococo, mais il est logique de commencer par une révision :

Montrez à votre classe une diapositive contenant des images d'œuvres emblématiques de l'architecture baroque et rococo. J'aime utiliser Borromini San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane (Rome, 1638-1641) comme exemple baroque et celle de Germain Boffrand et Charles-Joseph Natoire Salon de la Princesse, Hôtel de Soubise (Paris, 1736-179) comme exemple rococo.

Commencez l'examen avec certaines de ces invites :

  • Décrire les caractéristiques formelles de l'architecture baroque et rococo.
  • Qui étaient les mécènes ?
  • Décrivez les idéologies et les valeurs dominantes des cultures qui ont produit ces œuvres.
  • À quelles sources ont-ils regardé ?

Vous, étudiants, serez peut-être surpris d'apprendre que les qualités flamboyantes de l'architecture baroque et rococo qu'ils ont appris à reconnaître et à apprécier lors de conférences précédentes ont été critiquées au milieu du XVIIIe siècle pour leurs abus de liberté perçus - combinant des éléments classiques de manière peu orthodoxe - et invention, comme la création de nouvelles capitales. Regarder ces œuvres du point de vue de la seconde moitié du XVIIIe siècle sert le double objectif d'agir comme la transition de la dernière conférence à celle-ci et également de préparer le terrain architectural pour la conférence actuelle.

Le San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane de Francesco Borromini (1599-1667) est un exemple de bâtiment baroque qui, pour les esprits du milieu du XVIIIe siècle, incorporait trop d'inventions. Construit pour l'ordre espagnol des Trinitaires Déchaux, le plan au sol de Borromini indique que l'espace intérieur de l'église était basé sur la géométrie (triangles équilatéraux, cercles et ovale). La géométrie sous-jacente se perd parmi les aspects qui hypnotisent les spectateurs : les murs ondulants, les colonnes irrégulièrement espacées, les ouvertures murales fréquentes et l'ornement - tous montrant la liberté avec laquelle Borromini a utilisé et modifié les éléments classiques - un exemple significatif étant les volutes des chapiteaux composites , some of which curve upwards instead of the traditional down. The sculptural quality of the interior is reflected in the church’s exterior. The façade swells out and in, and areas between columns are filled with niches and sculpture.

Moving forward a hundred years to the Rococo, your students will likely be familiar with Germain Boffrand and Charles-Joseph Natoire’s Salon de la Princesse, Hôtel de Soubise. An oval room on the upper-level, this salon was used by a princess of the Rohan-Soubise dynasty for entertaining. The walls dematerialize, punctuated by windows, doors, and large mirrors. Extensive amounts of gilt ornamentation cover the walls and frames openings.

Themes to stress throughout the lecture include le progrès, building type, matériaux et La technologie.

Background Readings

Henry Flitcroft, The Temple of Apollo, Stourhead, 1765 (Wiltshire, England).

One of the best sources is Leland Roth’s Understanding Architecture: Its Elements, History, and Meaning, second edition (Westview Press, 2007). If you are looking for information on European architecture see Barry Bergdoll’s European Architecture 1750–1890 (Oxford University Press, 2000) and Sir John Summerson’s The Classical Language of Architecture, twentieth printing (MIT Press, 2001). For an explanation of materials, see Harley J. McKee’s Introduction to Early American Masonry (National Trust for Historic Preservation, 1973). This book provides an excellent overview of the tools used to prepare building materials and terminology.

For British Architecture, see Sir John Summerson’s Architecture in Britain 1530–1830, ninth edition (Yale University Press, 1993).

For American architectural history, I recommend a series of survey texts as well as sources that are more focused upon specific artists or structures. Leland Roth’s A Concise History of American Architecture (Harper & Row, Publishers, 1979) provides a standard chronological progression through North American architectural movements. Dell Upton’s Architecture in the United States (Oxford University Press, 1998) is divided into chapters that address American architecture through the lenses of community, nature, technology, money and art.

For Stourhead see their webpage on the United Kingdom’s national trust site.

For the United States Capitol building, see James D. and Georgiana W. Kornwolf’s Architecture and Town Planning in Colonial North America (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2002)—a wonderful text about colonial and early American architecture. Also see Henry Russell Hitchcock and William Seale’s Temples of Democracy: The State Capitols of the U.S.A. (New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1976).

For Schinkel’s Altes Museum, see Steven Moyano, “Quality vs. History: Schinkel’s Altes Museum and Prussian Arts Policy,” The Art Bulletin Vol. 72, No. 4 (December, 1990), 585–608 James J. Sheehan, Museums in the German Art World: From the End of the Old Regime to the Rise of Modernism (Oxford University Press, 2000) Karl Friedrich Schinkel, 1781–1841: The Drama of Architecture (Art Institute of Chicago, 1994).

For the Gothic Revival, I am indebted to Chris Brooks’ The Gothic Revival (Phaidon, 1999) and Michael J. Lewis’ The Gothic Revival (Thames & Hudson, 2002).

For the Grammar of Ornament see Carole A Hrvol Flores’ Owen Jones: Design, Ornament, Architecture, and Theory in an Age of Transition (Rizzoli, 2006) John Kresten Jespersen, “Originality and Jones,” The Grammar of Ornament of 1856,” Journal of Design History Vol. 21, No. 2 (Summer 2008), 143–53 and Stacey Sloboda’s “The Grammar of Ornament: Cosmopolitanism and Reform in British Design.” Journal of Design History Vol. 21, No. 3 (Autumn, 2008), 223–36.

For the Skyscraper, I recommend Sarah Bradford Landau and Carl W. Condit’s Rise of the New York Skyscraper, 1865–1913 (Yale University Press, 1996) and Winston Weisman’s “A New View of Skyscraper History” in Rise of an American Architecture. (Metropolitan Museum of Art by Praeger Publishers, 1970).

For Aesthetic Movement architecture, see Andrew Saint’s Richard Norman Shaw (Yale University Press, 2010) Jeffrey Karl Ochsner and Thomas C. Hubka, “H. H. Richardson: The Design of the William Watts Sherman House,” Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians, Vol. 51, No. 2 (June, 1992), 121–45 James F. O’Gorman’s “A Touch of Nash: The Williams Watts Sherman House and the Aesthetic Movement.” XIXe siècle Vol. 19, No. 1 (1999), 53–9 and In Pursuit of Beauty: Americans and the Aesthetic Movement (Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1986).

For Ecole des Beaux Arts architecture see Christopher Mead, “Urban Contingency and the Problem of Representation in Second Empire Paris,” Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians Vol. 54, No. 2 (June, 1995), 138–74.

Content Suggestions

The layout of this lecture is designed to underscore the international and intercontinental spread of architectural ideas. In most instances, I give two examples to illustrate a particular stylistic movement—one European and one American. Optional works are indented underneath to supplement certain topics. I have also included asides about materials and other topics, which can be useful.

In an hour and fifteen minutes, you should be able to cover the following works of architecture:

  • Francesco Borromini, San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane (Rome, 1638–41)
  • Germain Boffrand and Chalres-Joseph Natoire, Salon de la Princesse, Hôtel de Soubise (Paris, 1736–9)

Second Half of the Eighteenth Century:

  • Marc-Antoine Laugier, Essai sur l’architecture (Paris, 1755 first edition 1753)
  • James Stuart and Nicholas Revett, The Antiquities of Athens: Measured and Delineated (London, 1762–95)
    • Choragic Monument of Lysicrates, c. 334 BCE
    • Claude Lorrain, Coast View of Delos with Aeneas (1672)
    • Henry Flitcroft, Pantheon (constructed between 1753-54)
    • Henry Flitcroft, Temple of Apollo (constructed in 1765)
    • Henry Flitcroft, King Alfred’s Tower (designed 1765, constructed between 1769–72)
    • Bristol Cross (a monument from the fifteenth–seventeenth centuries was moved in 1765 from its original Bristol location to Hoare’s park)

    XIXe siècle

    • Karl Friedrich Schinkel, Altes Museum (Berlin, 1823–30)
      • William Strickland, Tennessee State Capitol (Nashville, 1845–59)
      • Richard Upjohn, Trinity Church (New York City, 1839–46)
      • William LeBaron Jenney, Home Insurance Building, (Chicago, c. 1885)
      • McKim, Mead, and White, American Safe Deposit Company Building, (New York City, 1882–4).
      • H. Richardson, William Watts Sherman House (Newport, Rhode Island, 1874–6)
      • World’s Columbian Exposition (Chicago, 1891–3)

      Begun in the second half of the eighteenth century and lasting through the early nineteenth century, the Enlightenment did much to affect the path of architecture. Though not a single unified movement, it was founded on the belief in progress and in the power of reason. Recent achievements in science encouraged the notion that, through the acquisition of knowledge and the application of reason social, intellectual, and moral reforms could be affected. The impact of the Enlightenment on the arts took various forms. Some artists paid homage to science, others studied the classical past. The later impacts architecture more acutely.

      By 1750, there was a growing discontent with the gaudy Baroque and Rococo architecture highlighted above. It came under fire for being dishonest, meaning that its sculptural, undulating walls and overzealous ornamentation deceptively hid the building’s supporting construction. Critics thought that these features placed the emphasis in the wrong places and architecture required a much needed return to its primitive origins. This viewpoint was demonstrated in the frontispiece of the second edition of Essai sur l’architecture by Jesuit priest and amateur aesthetician Marc-Antoine Laugier (1713–69).

      The engraved frontispiece of Essai sur l’architecture depicts a classical female figure as the Muse of Architecture, holding a compass, a right angle and reclining on an entablature. The image also includes the Scamozzi Ionic capital (Scamozzi Ionic capitals flare out at the corners when the two sides come together). This Muse directs an infant to a primitive hut, humanity’s first built structure that represents pure, honest architecture. Built of wood—both living trees and cut—the space was created using a limited number of elements: posts (the verticals), lintels or beams (the horizontals), and gabled roof. All of these elements are not decorated.

      This image served as a rallying point to galvanize people to return to a perceivably purer architecture. It should be stated here that Laugier and his supporters did not feel that the only structures that should be built were primitive wooden huts. Instead, they promoted the idea that if a historical source was emulated, it should be from a culture that practiced pure architecture. The older the civilization, the purer architecture they created. Using this logic, Greek architecture was superior to Roman, as Greek civilization was older.

      One publication that did the most to spread an awareness of Greek architecture was The Antiquities of Athens: Measured and Delineated by English architects and antiquarians James Stuart and Nicholas Revett. Conceived during the Enlightenment, when there was interest in ancient cultures, the work was subsidized and published by the Society of Dilettanti (an English group of men who had all partook in the Grand Tour. Sir Joshua Reynolds was a member of the group who painted several portraits of its members). This text is noteworthy for containing the first meticulously measured drawings of ancient Greek architecture, giving the Western world access to their natural architectural perfection. To make the text as accurate as possible, Stuart and Revett spent four years (1751–5) documenting architectural monuments in and around Athens before returning to England to begin the publishing process. Although it was intended to be the first text of its kind, the drawn out publishing process allowed for a Frenchman, Julien-David Le Roy to produce Les Ruines des plus beaux monuments de la Grèce (Paris, 1758) five years before the first volume of The Antiquities of Athens apparu. Despite publication delays, and then its gradual release, The Antiquities of Athens’ influence was international and it became a manual (historian James F. O’Gorman uses the word “Bible”) for the “Greek Revival” across Europe as well as in North America, c. 1810s–1840s.

      An illustration from Volume One of the text depicts the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates. Located near the acropolis, this monument was erected around 334 BCE to commemorate an athletic or choral victory. This circular structure is thirteen feet high, made of marble, and around the exterior are six engaged Corinthian columns—some of the earliest of that type. Now lost is a tripod trophy that at one point surmounted the monument.

      A visual and ideological counterpoint to the pursuit of a more pure architectural source is the picturesque landscape garden Stourhead located in Wiltshire, England, the vision of banker Sir Henry Hoare. Designed over decades, Stourhead’s vistas were completely constructed—earth was moved, a lake was formed by damming a local river, and flora was planted. Hoare aimed to make mimic the painted landscapes found in the paintings of French Baroque painters Claude Lorrain and Nicholas Poussin. Indeed, Hoare had collected Lorrain’s Coast View of Delos with Aeneas (1672), which influenced the designs. For example, the garden included bridges and a building with a dome, imitating the Pantheon in Rome, motifs found in Lorrain’s paintings. The winding path through the garden began and ended at the house, leading one around the irregular lake that forms the garden’s centerpiece. Along the way, one was supposed to stop at certain points to admire views and pavilions constructed in differing architectural styles.

      Palladian architect Henry Flitcroft was commissioned to construct several pavilions for Stourhead: the aforementioned Pantheon (constructed between 1753–4), the Temple of Apollo (constructed in 1765), and the triangular 160-foot brick structure King Alfred’s Tower (designed 1765, constructed between 1769-72)—the top of which can be reach through an internal spiral staircase. In 1765, the Bristol Cross was moved from its original Bristol location to Hoare’s park. Over the centuries there has been debate among historians as to how the Virgilian inscriptions on the pavilions should be interpreted, and how that affects in the viewer’s experience in the garden.

      Politically, the full embodiment of Enlightenment ideals was reached during the American and French Revolutions that took place at the end of the eighteenth century and the early part of the nineteenth century. Les United States Capitol (c. 1793–1828, 1851–7, and 1856–63) in Washington D.C. became a beacon to Enlightenment ideas, adhering to the Classical spirit in its architecture’s revolutionary Neoclassical style. The federal building was envisioned as a seventeen-room brick building that would house the legislative branch of government.

      The fact that the U.S. Capitol was originally envisioned as a brick building may come as a surprise for students, who by this time are used to seeing European architecture constructed of fine stone. At the turn of the nineteenth century, American architects and builders were still uncomfortable and quite untrained in using this material. The lack of confidence architects and builders had for building stone was balanced by their assurance in using brick. Brick’s flexible recipe, permanence, and skill requirement allowed it to used across American in building construction. On the eastern seaboard, it was a material that that been in use since 1618 (the first brick building was the Fourth Jamestown Church—Jamestown was founded in 1607).

      As time progressed, other functions were added to the Capitol, such as Washington’s tomb and setting aside a space for the Supreme Court. In initial submissions, American gentlemen architects/builders failed to create adequate elegant and monumental forms that would define the nation’s new building type. President Washington called them ‘dull.’ Ultimately, the chosen design was a synthesis of competition submissions, which had referenced many aspects of other state houses, namely: a portico, a dome, a central public space, and the two houses opposite one another.

      Despite having many different creators (William Thornton, B. H. Latrobe, Charles Bulfinch and Thomas U. Walter—who were a mixture of professional and gentlemen architects), the Capitol’s various parts are united in the Neoclassical style, with the focal point being Walter’s dome (1856–63), modeled after the Pantheon. Construction of the Capitol pushed American builders out of their material comfort zones. Originally proposed as a brick structure, it was decided that ashlar masonry should be used for the exterior. For the vaulting, Thomas Jefferson wanted to use wood, but Latrobe pushed for masonry. Decades later, builders were pushed to their technological limits using a new material—iron, both cast and wrought—to create the Capitol’s famous dome.

      Nineteenth century architecture is memorable for its quick succession of historical revival styles, including the Greek Revival, the Gothic Revival, and the Queen Anne Style (a.k.a. the Aesthetic Movement), as well as introducing some major architectural publications and new building types. I hope to give a sense of the complexity of the nineteenth century architectural situation by highlighting select architectural examples, architectural texts, and new building types.

      The Greek Revival

      The facade of Karl Friedrich Schinkel’s Altes Museum in Berlin is a prime example of Greek Revival architecture. The museum is a large box with eighteen fluted Ionic columns in front, surmounted by a smaller box. The building’s sheer breadth—it takes up almost the whole width of the northern end of the Lustgarten (Pleasure Garden)—and its façade, distilled to vertical and strong horizontal elements (arches are a feature synonymous with Roman architecture), are the more primitive/pure Greek architectural characteristics to which Schinkel alluded. The most direct visual source would be the Athenian stoa poikile, the ancient covered colonnade in the agora.

      This building did much to revitalize the heart of the city. First, by placing the museum at the north end of the Pleasure Garden, Schinkel inevitably elevated the art museum’s position in society because it took its place among three other important buildings: the Royal Palace, the Cathedral, and the Arsenal. Second, Schinkel carefully controlled the viewing experience of this building. Around 1830, one approached the Altes Museum from Berlin’s main boulevard Unter den Linden (“Under the Linden Trees”—the boulevard was lined with them). Down the street, the Royal Palace anchors the viewer’s vista. As one approached the palace the trees would frame a view of the Cathedral. Upon crossing the bridge and entering the southern end of the Pleasure Garden, the view of the Altes Museum would finally be visible.

      Internally, Schinkel forcefully argued for the rotunda, a space he felt would prepare visitors to experience the building and view works of art.

      Schinkel’s Altes Museum façade conveyed his understanding of the principles underlying the pure linear forms of Greek architecture. Other architects opted for a more direct quotation of Greek architecture.

      In the United States, a fine example of Greek Revival architecture is William Strickland’s Tennessee State Capitol (Nashville, 1845–9). Well-trained (Strickland was trained by B. Henry Latrobe, whom we met above with the U.S. Capitol) and well-traveled (Strickland went to Europe in 1838, traveling through England, France, Italy and Germany. Images from his European sketchbook have been made available online at the Tennessee Virtual Archive “William Strickland Sketchbook”.), Strickland demonstrated his broad working knowledge of historic architectural sources in the Tennessee State Capitol.

      In the Capitol, Strickland referenced a different order (Doric, Ionic, Corinthian) in each main section of the building. Working from the ground upwards, the Capitol had a Doric basement, Ionic porticos, and a Corinthian tower. The Erechtheum (the Acropolis, Athens, Greece) inspired the Ionic porticos, and Strickland used plates of the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates found in The Antiquities of Athens as inspiration for the lantern for his building. Strickland modified the forms of the ancient original with windows to suit modern needs.

      The Gothic Revival

      The Gothic Revival began in Britain and spread internationally and across continents. Arguably the greatest monument to the Gothic Revival is the New Palace of Westminster, better known as the Houses of Parliament (London, 1835–68).

      The Old Palace of Westminster was almost completely destroyed by fire in 1834. On August 18, 1835, a Royal Commission was issued to rebuild the Palace and debate ensued over its appropriate style. Two main camps emerged: Neoclassical versus Gothic. Those in favor of the Neoclassical style supplied evidence such as the style’s popularity and its successful track record in high profile public commissions, such as the United States Capitol. Those who felt that the Gothic would be more appropriate supported their case with the following concepts that would be best articulated by A.W.N. Pugin, in his books Contrasts (1836) and True Principles of Pointed or Christian Architecture (1841):

      • Harmony/Fitness: It was believed that there exists a connection between culture and architectural expression. The Gothic style surfaced during the medieval ages. The architecture produced was viewed as being perfectly in harmony to its needs. During the Gothic Revival, it was hoped that if buildings were constructed in that earlier style that it might resurrect some of the sentiments and the harmony perceived as missing from modern society.
      • Nationalism/Patriotism: At this time it was believed that each culture creates its own distinct style that suits its culture and climate. In the nineteenth century, Gothic architecture was perceived as being an indigenous English style, it would be only natural to draw upon England’s own architectural heritage and not an imported style from the southern European continent. Neoclassical architectural style would further be unsuited to England as it is an architecture produced for its milder Mediterranean climate and would be unsuited to the weather conditions of the north.
      • Function/Honesty: Gothic architecture was viewed as being an honest form of architecture, in which everything included contributed to its construction. Gothic ornament was judiciously placed to enrich and accent structural lines.

      In the end it was decided that architects submit designs in either the Gothic or Elizabethan style. Architect Charles Barry (1795–1860), best known for his classical and Italianate designs, submitted the winning design. Because of his more classical specialty, he employed the talents of A.W.N. Pugin, the vociferous Gothic revivalist mentioned above. The workload between the two men was neatly divided, Barry designed space and structure and Pugin designed the ornament and the interiors.

      Barry’s design was successful for multiple reasons. First, the Houses of Parliament was built on the site of the Old Palace of Westminster and successfully integrated the surviving structures (Westminster Hall and St. Stephen’s Chapel) into the new building complex. Second, Barry created a harmonious—though slightly asymmetrical picturesque—exterior by balancing the horizontal and vertical lines.

      The exterior’s recognizable sand-colored limestone came from Anston Quarry in Yorkshire. This particular stone was selected for its cost effectiveness and because it is a sedimentary rock, it could be easily manipulated. In the twentieth century, parts of the building in which the stone had eroded significantly were replaced with a honey-colored limestone from Medwells Quarry in Rutland.

      Third, Barry’s classical training strongly influenced his logical arrangement of rooms and courtyards, which he based around the classical system of repeating modules. This can best be appreciated by viewing a floorplan of the structure. Four branches of the building radiate out in the cardinal directions: north, south, east and west from a centrally located octagonal lobby. Barry placed the Throne room (located in the House of Lords), the House of Lords, and the House of Commons in line with one another, a subtle underscoring of the line of power in the English government. Pugin designs for the interiors included furniture, tiles, stained glass, and metal work. His most sumptuous decoration appears in the House of Lords, where seemingly every square inch is encrusted with medieval-inspired decoration.

      Switching to the United States, architects such as Richard Upjohn’s used Pugin’s books as a manual to design Gothic Revival buildings like Trinity Church (New York City, NY, 1839–46). Trinity Church was one of the most noteworthy commissions executed in America in the Gothic Revival style. In Trinity Church, one sees a shift occurring in American taste from the Classically inspired to the Gothic and Picturesque. Trinity Church espoused the ideals from leaders of the English Gothic Revival, and Upjohn based its design on an illustration of an “ideal church” from Pugin’s True Principles. Upjohn tweaked several aspects of Pugin’s design to accommodate American building methods and the site such as the vaulting, the pitch of the roof, and the chancel. Longitudinal in plan and made of brownstone masonry, the church was not as elaborately decorated as it could have been.

      The Grammar of Ornament

      Owen Jones’ Grammar of Ornament (London, 1856) is a design manual that has inspired countless generations of architects and designers. Conceived during era of English design reform, the Grammar of Ornament became Jones’ aesthetic treatise. Les Grammar of Ornament contains Jones’ 37 propositions (principles) of design, nineteen chapters dedicated to historical types of ornament, and a single chapter dedicated to the common denominator behind all ornament—nature appeared in 100 chromolithographed plates, in which there were 1,000 cropped illustrations ornament, which removed any hint of an original context.

      The quality of the lithographic plates is one factor that made the Grammar of Ornament célèbre. The content of the Grammar of Ornament appealed to architects, designers, and reform design thinkers, as John Kresten Jespersen writes, “for a century (after its publication), almost every architect’s office had a copy of the Grammar of Ornament. " The intent of this publication was not to give architects, ornamentalists and designers a template from which to copy in their work, rather to allow individuals to absorb lessons from the past and apply this information to the ornament that would suit modern life.

      The Skyscraper

      The skyscraper is an American invention. Created in the second half of the nineteenth century and refined throughout the rest of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, skyscrapers—from the very beginning—have been symbols of commerce and prestige. The skyscraper is the first instance where the architectural story begins in America and then spread overseas. Scholars agree that a skyscraper must contain three features:

      • Significant Height: (more vertical than horizontal) This building type was created to suit the need for increased building space in major urban areas, the two most important of which were New York City and Chicago. The scarcity and the cost of land in these and other urban areas forced architects to build in only one direction—upwards.
      • Passenger Elevators: As human beings are usually opposed to walk up more that five flights of stairs, the incorporation of passenger elevators were a blessing. Elevators made each and every floor just as easily accessible and rentable, enabling building to be higher.
      • Metal Frame: Iron’s popularity increased in the middle of the nineteenth century as architects discovered its potential in building construction. Iron was used two ways in architecture: cast and wrought. Cast iron was a strong metal, capable of carrying great weights by compression. Major flaws of cast iron included its brittleness in terms of ductility as well as the irregularity of its compositional makeup. Wrought iron was not as strong as cast iron, but had an advantage in that it could assume any number of shapes. The combination of cast iron posts and more extensive wrought beams revolutionized the way in which architects envisioned structure and space.

      In short, iron allowed architects to build taller and span wider distances than ever before. In other words, advancements made in skyscraper height are closely tied to advancements in building technologies that supported them. Beginning in the 1880s, the more expensive and specialized product, steel began to replace iron as the preferred structural building material (as it contained the same/or increased strength of cast iron and the ductility of wrought iron). In the 1880’s, the first architects made the switch from iron to steel.

      The earliest example of a skyscraper may surprise you. Noted authorities Weisman and Condit concur that Gilman, Kendall & Post’s Equitable Life Assurance Company Building (New York City, 1868–70 destroyed) is the first skyscraper, since it was the first building that was designed and built containing all three of the aforementioned skyscraper features. Our twenty-first-century eyes, accustomed to seeing skyscrapers as enormous structures built of a curtain of metal and glass, would likely not recognize Equitable Life Assurance Company Building as an early descendant. This lost structure (for which no plans survive) is known only through images and building records. At 130 feet in height, this building was not significantly taller than surrounding commercial buildings. Yet, the conscious incorporation of the elevator transformed commercial architecture, as it allowed all eight stories to be easily reached, and therefore easily rentable.

      Architects cloaked the Equitable’s iron skeleton in the only way they knew how: with a grey-granite masonry, arranged with tiers—separated by entablatures—and capped with a hipped roof. In images the structure has a very Second Empire appearance, a style believed to be chosen for its ability, given Haussmann’s opulent Paris, to signify stability and prosperity. From the very beginning, skyscrapers served as office buildings. Throughout the later nineteenth century architects worked to give a characteristic facade to the skyscraper. Two major trends emerged: “wild work” and the Italian Renaissance palace, which can easily be illustrated with noteworthy period examples.

      In Chicago, William LeBaron Jenney’s Home Insurance Building, ch. 1885 is an example of “wild work.” “Wild work” was a descriptor used by eminent late-nineteenth century architectural critic Montgomery Schuyler to refer to facades like this one. What Schuyler found wild, or mind-boggling, about this building was the ways in which the horizontal and vertical lines were constantly interrupted. The Home Insurance Building is also noteworthy as it was the first building to use steel construction.

      In New York City, the firm of McKim, Mead, and White gravitated towards a three-part skyscraper façade, evident in the American Safe Deposit Company Building, (1882–4). This building’s three parts (basement, shaft, and third tier of space at the top) are neatly defined. Three-part façade divisions like this inspired critic Montgomery Schuyler (who we just met above) in 1899 to liken such surfaces to the three parts of a classical column: base, shaft, and capital. Over the years, Schuyler’s metaphor has been applied to, and used to explain numerous facades, and has mutated to become the accepted explanation, but is wrong. This type of façade was inspired by Italian Renaissance Palaces such as the tripartite façade of the fourteenth/fifteenth century Palazzo Davanzati, which likewise has a basement, a shaft, and a third tier of space at the top–complete with an order in the loggia. The tripartite formula became a popular pattern used by architects across the nation such as Daniel H. Burnham & Company’s Flatiron Building (New York City, 1901–3). Even two-decades after this façade pattern had been first implemented, it had yet to fall out of style.

      The Aesthetic Movement

      Aesthetic Movement architecture (which is usually called the Queen Anne Style) began in England in the 1860s and then came to America in the 1870s. It was largely used as a secular architectural style, which some critics considered to be a major flaw (since it did not transition into sacred commissions). This style was characterized by its freedom, especially in color, picturesque, and asymmetrical design, and complex ornament. One of its greatest practitioners was R. Norman Shaw and one of the most famous buildings was the New Zealand Chambers Building (London, 1871–3 destroyed), an office building. Shaw used architectural elements to break up flat surfaces and shatter the light across the exterior of this building. The tendency to create highly textured facades would become a feature associated with Aesthetic Movement architecture on both sides of the Atlantic.

      H. Richardson’s William Watts Sherman House (Newport, Rhode Island, 1874–6 and numerous additions) was one of America’s earliest Aesthetic Movement architectural works. Most Americans would be introduced to the other aspects of the Aesthetic Movement at the Centennial Exposition in 1876. The Sherman Residence was a combination of established and innovative architectural features. The established features included the asymmetry (attempting to break the box) of early nineteenth century homes. The innovative feature was a new form of space—the living hall. The Sherman House’s living hall stretched the depth of the building and contained a hearth and a massive staircase. A variety of rooms (public, private, servant quarters) radiated off this living hall which produced an irregular floorplan.

      The irregularity of the floor plan was expressed in the asymmetry of the façade’s exterior. Within the gables Richardson created the silhouette of a saltbox house. The inclusion of this profile is noteworthy as Richardson revived a distinctive aspect of American colonial architecture. Additionally, on the facade, Richardson varied surface texture, allowing light to break apart on the surface, causing a scintillating effect. Inside, a selection of decorative objects—such as art glass—further underscored the philosophy of the Aesthetic Movement.

      Second Empire Paris and Ecole des Beaux Arts Classicism

      Charles Garnier’s Paris Opera House (Paris, 1862–75) is a building about spectacle. A grand structure, it was one of many that fit into Baron Haussmann’s revitalization of urban Paris. The Opera’s spectacle begins with its location. Built on its own island, it is approachable from several streets and the major Avenue de l’Opera, terminating in its own Place (a plaza or square). Though one may be distracted from the shear amount of ornament on the façade, the exterior overlooking the Place can be distilled into a podium-like arcaded base, atop which Garnier placed a colonnade. This colonnade was a recognizable variation of the two-part façade that Bramante’s House of Raphael popularized back in the Italian Renaissance, now quite popular in Paris. Garnier proceeded to adorn this classical façade with sculptural accents for which he employed some of the finest artistic talents in Paris—such as Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux, who sculpted La danse.

      The building’s entrances were designed to accommodate the societal needs of different opera-goers, from the Emperor to the bourgeois. Once inside, the spaces Garnier created is the mark of the classical training regimen of the Ecole des Beaux Arts, the institution that taught Garnier. The spacious lobbies, wide staircases, and sumptuous veneered surfaces served as dramatic platforms and backdrops to an environment designed for people to see and be seen. Underneath these elaborate surfaces, the Opera’s structure made use of the latest advancements in iron construction. Inside and out, this building makes use of Classical sources.

      Although there were almost 200 structures built for the World’s Columbian Exposition (hereafter WCE—Chicago, 1891–3), the fair became a dialectic of two courses in American architecture, Ecole des Beaux Arts classicism (evident in the architecture of the Court of Honor) and Picturesque/Aesthetic Movement (evident in the architecture surrounding the Lagoon). In America, leading up to the WCE, picturesque traditions such as the Aesthetic Movement—with their colored, asymmetrical, and scintillating surfaces—were popular.

      For example, Louis Sullivan’s predominantly red and gold Transportation Building extended this visual tradition to the WCE. In contrast, the majority of the main fair structures were constructed in the tradition taught at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris. These fair buildings were unified by their coloring (white), classically inspired architectural elements, unified cornice line (65’), and axial symmetry. Beaux Arts classicism had such an effect on fairgoers that it would become the favored architectural style in America for the next several decades.

      The differences between these two architectural vogues were further underscored in the WCE’s landscaped environments, designed by landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted. Olmsted’s landscape architecture for the Court of Honor was a well proportioned symmetrical basin in perfect tandem with the balanced (all buildings had a 65’ cornice line) and symmetrical Ecole des Beaux Arts classicism surrounding it. For the lagoon area, Olmsted designed an irregularly shaped lagoon, in the middle of which was a wooded island with picturesque trails.