Podcasts sur l'histoire

Ocmulgee YTB-532 - Historique

Ocmulgee YTB-532 - Historique

Ocmulgee
(YTB-532 : dp. 325 (f.); 1. 100'; b. 25'; dr. 11'6"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 8; GL Hisada.)

Ocmulgee (YTB-532) a été établi par la Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., Morris Heights, N.J., le 1er novembre 1944 lancé le 30 décembre 1944; et mis en service le 2 juin 1945.

Ocmulgee a servi le 3e district naval jusqu'à son transfert à Green Cove Sprin~s, en Floride, et mis hors service, en réserve, en mars 1946. Il est resté amarré à Green Cove Sprinp jusqu'à sa réactivation et son affectation au 6e district naval en mai 1947 Redésigné YTM-532 en février 1962, il est resté en service dans ce district jusqu'en 1969.


Obtenir un parc national en Géorgie centrale

La rivière Ocmulgee traverse le cœur de la Géorgie. Le National Park Service cherche des moyens de préserver et de protéger toute l'histoire et la vie qu'il détient.


Histoire

Les chasseurs de l'ère glaciaire arrivent dans le sud-est, laissant l'un de leurs points de lance distinctifs "Clovis" sur le plateau de Macon (dans les années 1930, c'est devenu le premier artefact de ce type trouvé in situ dans le sud des États-Unis).

8.000-9.000 avant JC Une période de transition

Les gens s'adaptent au temps qui se réchauffe progressivement à mesure que les glaciers fondent et que de nombreux mammifères de l'ère glaciaire s'éteignent.

1 000-8 000 av. J.-C. Période archaïque

Adaptation efficace à la chasse et à la cueillette à un climat semblable à l'utilisation actuelle de l'atlatl (lanceur de lance), des outils de travail du bois, etc.

2500 avant JC Première poterie dans ce pays apparaît le long de la côte de Géorgie/Caroline du Sud et filtre bientôt dans ce qui est maintenant la Géorgie centrale, il est trempé ou renforcé avec des fibres végétales qui brûlent pendant la cuisson, donnant un aspect de trou de ver à la surface du navire.

1 000 avant JC-900 après JC Période forestière

Poterie trempée avec du sable et du gravier, parfois décorée de motifs élaborés incisés, ponctués ou estampés dans sa surface avant la cuisson culture de tournesols, de gourdes et de plusieurs autres plantes construction de villages semi-permanents monticules d'effigie en pierre et tumulus en terre et monticules de plate-forme connexions au Adena/Hopewell Cultures plus au nord et à Weeden Island en Floride et en Géorgie du Sud.

900-1150 ap. J.-C. Début de la période du Mississippien

Un nouveau mode de vie, qui serait originaire de la région du fleuve Mississippi, apparaît sur le plateau de Macon. Ces personnes, dont la poterie est différente de celle fabriquée par les cultures sylvicoles de la région, construisent un grand centre cérémoniel avec d'immenses tumulus de temple/d'enterrement/domiciliaires et des loges en terre, qui servent de salles de conseil formelles. Leur économie est soutenue par l'agriculture, avec du maïs, des haricots, des courges et d'autres cultures plantées dans la riche plaine inondable de la rivière. Les peuples autochtones des bois des régions avoisinantes interagissent avec ces personnes, qui possèdent des symboles et des artefacts anciens associés au complexe cérémonial du sud-est (culte du sud).

1150-1350 Période mississippienne mature

La grande ville du plateau de Macon décline et les monticules et villages de Lamar et Stubbs apparaissent juste en aval. Ces villes sont une combinaison de la vieille culture Woodland et des idées du Mississippien. Le culte du sud, qui se distingue par des motifs artistiques flamboyants et des artefacts spécialisés, fleurit dans des endroits comme Roods Landing et Etowah (GA), Moundville (AL), Hiwasee Island (TN), Cahokia (IL) et Spiro (OK).

1350-1650 Période du Mississippien supérieur (protohistorique)

La culture Lamar, du nom des monticules de Lamar et de l'unité villageoise du monument national d'Ocmulgee, se généralise dans les chefferies du sud-est marquées par des villages plus petits, plus nombreux et souvent palissades avec un centre cérémoniel marqué par un ou deux monticules combinant à la fois Woodland et Mississippian éléments.

1540 Chroniqueurs de l'expédition d'Hernando DeSoto à l'intérieur de l'Amérique du Nord, écrivez les premières descriptions des Lamar et des cultures apparentées, ancêtres des historiques Creek (Muscogean), Cherokee (Iroquoian), Yuchi (Euchee) et d'autres peuples du Sud-Est. La plupart de leurs principales villes sont situées à proximité de riches champs de maïs, de haricots et de courges. De nombreuses villes disposent de places ouvertes et de monticules de temples en terre. Les bâtiments publics et les maisons sont construits en rondins dressés, entrelacés de vignes ou de canne et enduits d'argile (cacacia et torchis). Certaines sont richement décorées et contiennent de grandes sculptures sur bois. Les 600 hommes et 300 chevaux de l'expédition de DeSoto dévastent l'approvisionnement alimentaire local. Des épidémies de maladies européennes déciment de nombreuses populations.

1565 L'Espagnol établir leur premier établissement permanent à Saint-Augustin, établir des avant-postes dans les villes le long de la côte atlantique au nord et commencer à missionner les Indiens. Les prêtres et les soldats remontent les réseaux fluviaux vers d'autres villes de l'intérieur de la région qui deviendra la Géorgie.

1670 L'anglais établir Charles Town (Charleston, SC) sur la côte atlantique. Malgré l'opposition espagnole, les explorateurs anglais entrent en contact et commercent avec les villes de l'intérieur.

1690 Un poste de traite britannique est construit sur le ruisseau Ochese (actuelle rivière Ocmulgee sur le site maintenant protégé dans le monument national Ocmulgee). Un certain nombre de villes de Muscogee se déplacent de la rivière Chattahoochee à ce voisinage pour se rapprocher des Anglais. A cette époque, la rivière Ocmulgee est appelée Ochese-hatchee ou Ochisi-hatchi (différentes orthographes). Les villes sont connues sous le nom de Nation Ochese Creek. Les Britanniques les appellent finalement simplement les « Creeks ». Les Creeks acquièrent des chevaux de la Floride espagnole et des fusils des Britanniques. Leur culture et leur tenue vestimentaire sont modifiées par l'utilisation de marchandises commerciales telles que des pots en fer, des couteaux en acier et des tissus de coton.

1704 le colonel James Moore, avec une bande d'une cinquantaine d'hommes de Charles Town, conduit 1 000 guerriers des villes Creek sur la rivière Ocmulgee jusqu'en Floride. Ils dévastent le système espagnol de la mission Apalachee et repoussent les Espagnols à Saint-Augustin. Après l'extermination de nombreux habitants du nord de la Floride, certains Creeks s'installent dans la région et intègrent les survivants dans leur propre groupe. Ces personnes sont par la suite connues sous le nom de Seminole et Miccosuki.

1715 La guerre de Yamassée éclate en signe de protestation contre les indignités britanniques liées au commerce des fourrures, y compris la prise d'Indiens expédiés comme esclaves pour travailler dans les plantations de canne à sucre des Caraïbes. De nombreux commerçants en territoire indien sont tués. En représailles, les Britanniques brûlent Ocmulgee Town sur Ochese Creek. Les villes Creek se retirent de la rivière Chattahoochee et les Yuchis se déplacent avec elles. Les gens sont connus sous le nom de Lower Creeks. Les ruisseaux supérieurs sont centrés sur les rivières Coosa et Tallapoosa au nord-est.

1733 La colonie de Géorgie s'installe sur des terres le long des rives de la rivière Savannah données au général James Oglethorpe par le chef Tomochichi des Yamacraws, un groupe lié aux Lower Creeks. La colonie sert de tampon entre la Caroline du Sud et la Floride espagnole.

1739 le général James Oglethorpe, fondateur de la colonie de Géorgie, parcourt l'ancien chemin commercial à travers les monticules et les anciens champs de plantation à Ocmulgee en route vers Coweta (près de ce qui est maintenant Columbus, GA) pour rencontrer les Creeks. L'un de ses Rangers écrit une courte description des monticules de ce qui est maintenant le monument national d'Ocmulgee. Une limite ouest de la colonie est définie le long de la rivière Ogeechee. La zone s'étend le long de la côte jusqu'à la frontière nord actuelle de la Floride.

1774 Guillaume Bartram, naturaliste et botaniste de renom, suit le Lower Creek Trading Path d'Augusta à travers la région. Dans son journal, il enregistre ce récit des Vieux Champs d'Ocmulgee :

"Sur les hauteurs de ces terres basses sont encore visibles

monuments, ou traces, d'une ville ancienne, tels que

monts ou terrasses, places et talus, encerclant de considérables

domaines. Leurs vieux champs et leurs terres de plantation s'étendent de haut en bas

la rivière, à quinze ou vingt milles de ce site. Si nous devons

créditer le compte que les Creeks font d'eux-mêmes, ce

endroit est remarquable pour être la première ville ou colonie, quand

ils se sont assis (comme ils l'appellent) ou se sont établis, après

leur émigration de l'ouest. "

1778 Pendant la guerre d'Indépendance, de nombreux Creeks veulent rester neutres, mais Alexander McGillivray (d'origine Creek-Scottish, éduqué en Caroline du Sud, chef principal des Upper et Lower Creeks) les conduit à une alliance avec l'Angleterre.

1793 Invention du gin de coton accélère considérablement le désir de riches bas-fonds fluviaux. Les Indiens Creek, pour la plupart d'excellents agriculteurs, s'adaptent rapidement à une économie basée sur le coton.

1805 Le premier traité de Washington cède le reste des terres entre les rivières Oconee et Ocmulgee, à l'exclusion d'une bande de 3 x 5 milles connue sous le nom de Old Ocmulgee Fields Reserve à l'heure actuelle Macon, à laquelle les Muscogee (Creek) refusent d'abandonner. Le traité permet aux États-Unis de construire une route à travers la Creek Nation jusqu'à la rivière Alabama et des installations pour les logements publics le long de cette route. Une grande partie de cette « route fédérale » suit l'ancien chemin commercial de Lower Creek et s'étend finalement de Washington, D.C. à la Nouvelle-Orléans. Le traité prévoit également un fort militaire américain sur la réserve pour garder la frontière le long de la rivière Ocmulgee. Cet avant-poste est appelé Fort Hawkins en l'honneur de Benjamin Hawkins, agent des Indiens des États-Unis auprès des Creeks et ami de George Washington.

1806 FortHawkins est construit à une courte distance des monticules. Il sert d'avant-poste frontalier, de centre commercial, de centre et d'emplacement pour les paiements de traités aux Creeks jusqu'à ce que la frontière des États-Unis soit plus tard étendue au territoire de l'Alabama. Pendant toute son existence en tant que fort militaire américain, il était situé sur un terrain appartenant à la Confédération Muscogee (Creek).

1811 Shawnee Chef Tecumseh, travaillant avec son frère le Prophète, parcourt la frontière en exhortant les Indiens à se débarrasser de leurs charrues, de leur whisky et des voies de l'homme blanc. Certains des Creeks rejoignent son mouvement et presque toutes les villes ont une faction dite "Red Stick". Les dirigeants sont aussi divisés que leur peuple. William McIntosh apparaît comme le chef de la faction fidèle au gouvernement américain. William Weatherford (Red Eagle) devient le leader le plus important des Red Sticks.

1812 Général Andrew Jackson (plus tard président) s'arrête à Fort Hawkins pendant la guerre de 1812. Le fort est un important port de rendez-vous pour l'envoi de troupes. Cette guerre avec la Grande-Bretagne concerne les questions de droits maritimes neutres et l'implication britannique dans les problèmes indiens le long de la frontière. Les hostilités entre les loyalistes Creek et les Red Sticks traditionalistes augmentent. Les bâtons rouges attaquent et détruisent Tuckabatchee et plusieurs autres villes d'Upper Creek dans le nord de l'Alabama.

1819 L'ancien chemin commercial de Lower Creek, maintenant appelé Federal Road, est la principale artère du nord au sud-ouest pendant de nombreuses années (la State Highway 49 suit une grande partie de cette route à travers la Géorgie centrale). Il sert de route postale de New York à la Nouvelle-Orléans. Un ferry est construit près des monticules de la réserve Old Ocmulgee Fields, et le premier enfant blanc, plus tard Mme Isaac Winship, est né dans la région.

1821 Les Calanques abandonner les terres entre la rivière Ocmulgee et la rivière Flint.

1823 Le Conseil du ruisseau adopte une loi prévoyant la peine de mort pour toute personne cédant des terres sans l'autorisation du Conseil. Les pressions pour le renvoi des Indiens continuent d'augmenter. Certains Creeks, dont William McIntosh, pensent que le retrait est inévitable.

La ville de Macon est aménagée de l'autre côté de la rivière depuis Fort Hawkins. Le premier journal de la Géorgie centrale, le Messager Géorgie, est publié à Fort Hawkins, et un bureau de poste est établi.

1825 Le traité des sources indiennes la cession des dernières terres Creek en Géorgie est signée par le chef William McIntosh. Son cousin est le gouverneur de Géorgie. Il vend les terres de Creek et est par conséquent assassiné par son propre peuple. Le traité est déclaré illégal par le gouvernement fédéral, mais les autorités géorgiennes ne sont pas d'accord. Ils appuient plus fort pour l'enlèvement.

1826 Le deuxième traité de Washington cède officiellement les dernières terres Creek en Géorgie. Certains des Creeks rejoignent le Seminole en Floride, d'autres s'installent en Alabama. Environ 1 300, pour la plupart des membres de la faction McIntosh, se réinstallent dans la vallée de la rivière Arkansas dans le « territoire indien », maintenant l'État de l'Oklahoma, sur des terres qui leur ont été attribuées dans le cadre du programme de retrait volontaire du gouvernement.

1828 L'ancien Ocmulgee Réserve des champs, y compris Fort Hawkins et les monticules, est arpenté et mis à pied dans des terrains incorporés à la ville de Macon. Roger et Eliazar McCall achètent une partie des Old Fields et fondent une entreprise florissante de fabrication de bateaux plats. De la zone du monticule, le journal local a rapporté :

"Le site est romantique à l'extrême qui, avec l'enterrement

monticules adjacents, ont longtemps été les lieux de prédilection de nos

beaux et belles de village, et objets de curiosité pour les étrangers.

On regretterait de voir ces monuments de l'antiquité et de

notre histoire rasée par la charrue sordide - - on pourrait souhaiter que

ils pourraient toujours rester comme présents, sacrés à la solitude, à

réflexion et inspiration."

1836 La guerre des ruisseaux de 1836 se termine lorsqu'environ 2 500 personnes, dont plusieurs centaines de guerriers enchaînés, marchent à pied vers Montgomery, AL, et s'entassent sur des barges pendant la chaleur extrême de juillet. Ils sont transportés par des bateaux à vapeur sur la rivière Alabama, commençant leur déplacement forcé vers le territoire indien. Au cours de l'été et de l'hiver de 1836 au début de 1837, plus de 14 000 Creeks font le voyage de trois mois vers l'Oklahoma, un voyage de plus de 800 milles terrestres et 400 autres par eau. La plupart partent avec seulement ce qu'ils peuvent emporter.

1839 Le Cherokee commencent leur "Trail of Tears".

1843 Le chemin de fer central construit une ligne de chemin de fer dans Macon à travers les vieux champs d'Ocmulgee détruisant une partie du Lesser Temple Mound et la grande ville préhistorique. Une locomotive "roundhouse" se trouve à proximité du tertre funéraire.

1840 Les grands chênes sur les monticules sont coupés pour le bois. Jusqu'à cette époque, les Old Ocmulgee Fields et Brown's Mount (une autre ville préhistorique pittoresque à environ 6 miles en aval de la rivière) avaient été des lieux de villégiature préférés pour les pique-niques et les fêtes, d'abord par les officiers de Fort Hawkins puis par les habitants de Macon.

Une grande partie du site du plateau de Macon devient une partie de la plantation Dunlap. L'argile pour la fabrication de briques est extraite près du monticule du Grand Temple et un facteur d'engrais est construit à proximité.

1864 Général de l'Union George Stoneman s'approche de la ville de Macon en juillet. Le gouverneur Brown, qui est à Macon, appelle tout homme valide à défendre la ville. Une batterie est stationnée près du site de Fort Hawkins. De gros canons sont chargés sur des wagons plats au pont de chemin de fer

sur la rivière Ocmulgee à l'intérieur des limites de ce qui est maintenant le monument national d'Ocmulgee. Le général Stoneman détruit Griswoldville, continue jusqu'à Macon et brûle le pont de chemin de fer sur Walnut Creek sur la propriété Dunlap. Il utilise la ferme des Dunlap comme quartier général pendant la bataille qui s'ensuit. A défaut de prendre la ville, Stoneman et ses troupes sont poursuivis

dans le comté voisin de Jones, où ils sont vaincus à Sunshine Church. Le général Stoneman et ses officiers sont incarcérés au camp Oglethorpe à Macon et ses hommes enrôlés sont envoyés au tristement célèbre camp de prisonniers de guerre d'Andersonville. Stoneman est le plus haut gradé de l'Union fait prisonnier pendant la guerre civile.

1874 Une deuxième énorme coupure pour un chemin de fer (toujours en usage) est excavé à travers la zone du monticule et détruit une grande partie du tertre funéraire. Selon Charles C. Jones, dans son livre, Antiquités du Indiens du Sud, de nombreuses reliques et sépultures humaines sont enlevées au cours de ces travaux.

1933 Une grande partie de McDougal Mound est retiré pour être utilisé comme terre de remblayage pour la rue principale. L'escalade à moto laisse des cicatrices sur les pentes et le sommet du Grand Temple Mound. Un groupe de citoyens locaux est convaincu que les monticules ont une grande importance historique et doivent être préservés. Dirigés par le général Walter A.Harris, le Dr Charles C. Harrold et Linton Solomon, ils demandent l'aide de la Smithsonian Institution, qui envoie le Dr Arthur Kelly organiser et mener des fouilles archéologiques sur le plateau de Macon.

1934 Trésors archéologiques sont déterrés. Au fur et à mesure que les travaux avancent, un projet de loi est adopté par le Congrès pour autoriser la création d'un parc national d'Ocmulgee de 2 000 acres. L'effort archéologique est la plus grande fouille jamais entreprise, jusqu'à cette époque, dans le pays. La main-d'œuvre est fournie par des centaines de travailleurs employés dans le cadre de plusieurs programmes de travaux publics de la Grande Dépression.

1936 Le président Franklin D. Roosevelt le 12 décembre, il signe la proclamation établissant le monument national d'Ocmulgee et ordonnant au National Park Service de préserver et de protéger 2 000 acres de "lands communément appelés les Old Ocmulgee Fields. " En raison de contraintes économiques, seuls 678,48 acres sont acquis, dont 40 acres au Lamar Mounds and Village. Plus tard, 5 acres supplémentaires sont ajoutés à l'unité Lamar Mounds and Village et la parcelle connue sous le nom de Drakes Field est donnée à la nation pour être incluse dans le monument national Ocmulgee par la ville de Macon. Le parc s'étend actuellement sur 702 acres.

1940 Membres d'équipage de l'ère de la Grande Dépression, y compris des membres de la Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1426 stationnés à Ocmulgee National Monument, sont enrôlés dans le service militaire alors que les États-Unis entrent dans la Seconde Guerre mondiale. L'homme est envoyé au camp Wheeler à proximité, qui devient le plus grand camp d'entraînement d'infanterie du pays.

années 60 Une autoroute interétatique (I-16), construit à travers l'unité du plateau de Macon, coupe la zone d'utilisation principale des visiteurs de la limite de la rivière du parc, longue d'un kilomètre, et provoque des changements hydrologiques importants sur les terres situées dans la plaine inondable de la rivière. Au cours de fouilles archéologiques dans le couloir routier à l'intérieur du parc, des preuves de Muscogee (ruisseau) et d'un établissement antérieur, ainsi que trois sépultures humaines, sont découvertes. Un certain nombre de sites préhistoriques et historiques importants à l'extérieur du parc sont détruits ou fortement endommagés, y compris les Gledhill I, II et III à proximité (où un fer de lance de l'ère glaciaire Clovis est trouvé par un collectionneur d'artefacts lors de l'enlèvement de la terre de remplissage pour la construction de routes), le long avec le site de New Pond, le monticule Adkins et la grotte Shellrock. Les villages et campings archaïques, forestiers, du Mississippien et historiques de Creek de l'autre côté de la rivière, tels que Mile Track, Napier, Mossy Oak et Horseshoe Bend, sont déjà endommagés par la construction de digues dans les années 1940.

années 1970 Les monticules et le village de Swift Creek, site type pour une culture répandue de la période Woodland, est détruit pour la construction d'un champ de tir du département du shérif du comté de Bibb. Les premières collections archéologiques du Dr Kelly, toujours sous la garde du National Park Service, sont tout ce qui reste de ce grand site, qui était situé sur les vieux champs d'Ocmulgee près de l'unité du village de Lamar du monument national d'Ocmulgee.

1992 Descendants de Roger et Eliazar McCall faire don de près de 300 acres, jouxtant la limite du parc Walnut Creek, au National Park Service. L'Archeological Conservancy accepte la propriété en attendant la législation pour l'incorporer dans le monument national d'Ocmulgee. Le terrain, propriété de cette famille depuis près de 175 ans, a été désigné réserve archéologique Scott-McCall.

1997 L'ancien Ocmulgee Des champs sont déterminés éligibles pour devenir le premier registre national des lieux historiques pour une propriété culturelle traditionnelle, ou un district, à l'est du fleuve Mississippi. Cette distinction reconnaît la grande importance de la région pour le peuple Muscogee (Creek).

Présent Le personnel du parc, le Ocmulgeemonument national Association, les Amis de Ocmulgee Old Fields et les nombreux bénévoles du parc restent dévoués à la mission de protéger et de préserver cet endroit très spécial pour le plaisir des citoyens d'aujourd'hui et des générations futures.

Corkran, David H. La frontière du ruisseau, 1540-1783. Norman : Université d'Oklahoma, Presse, 1967.

Cotterill, Robert S. Les Indiens du Sud, l'histoire des cinq tribus civilisées avant leur expulsion.

Norman : University of Oklahoma Press, 1954.

Débo, Angie. La route de la disparition : une histoire des Indiens Creek. Norman : University of Oklahoma Press, 1941.

Eggleston, George Cary. Red Eagle et les guerres avec les Indiens Creek de Alabama. New York : Dodd, Mead, 1878.

Contremaître, Grant. Les cinq tribus civilisées. Norman : University of Oklahoma Press, 1934.

Contremaître, Grant. Déménagement indien. Norman : University of Oklahoma Press, 1932.

Contremaître, Grant. Indiens et pionniers. Norman : University of Oklahoma Press, 1932.

Vert, Donald. Les gens du ruisseau. Série tribale indienne. Phénix, 1973.

Griffith, Benjamin W., Jr. McIntosh et Weatherford, chefs indiens Creek. Presse de l'Université d'Alabama. 1988.

Hudson, Charles M. Les Indiens du sud-est. Knoxville : The University of Tennessee Press, 1976.

Swanton, John R. Début de l'histoire des Indiens Creek et de leurs voisins.

Bureau of American Ethnology, 73e Bulletin, Washington, D.C., U.S. Gov't Printing Office, 1922.

Blanc, Georges. Collections historiques de Géorgie. New York : Rodney et Russell, 1854


Ocmulgee YTB-532 - Historique


Réunion du conseil dans le temple d'hiver de Maître Fermier. Diorama du musée.


Les monticules du temple et l'agriculture

Nous arrivons maintenant à la période de l'histoire d'Ocmulgee qui est la plus abondamment fournie en faits résultant des fouilles. Les Maîtres Fermiers, qui est le nom choisi pour ces personnes dans les expositions du Musée, étaient de nouveaux venus à Ocmulgee. Il se peut que leur arrivée ait été fortement combattue par les premiers fermiers qui avaient revendiqué le titre de ces terres au cours des mille dernières années. Vers l'an 900, ils se sont déplacés dans cette région, probablement en direction du nord-ouest, et ont commencé à construire des villages avec des caractéristiques très nouvelles.

Nous ne savons pas où cette migration a commencé, les étudiants sur le sujet pensent qu'elle a peut-être commencé dans la vallée du Mississippi, près de l'embouchure de la rivière Missouri. Nous savons, cependant, que certains de leurs parents les plus proches se sont installés dans le nord-est du Tennessee et peut-être que, alors que le groupe ancestral remontait la rivière Tennessee, il s'est séparé au point du virage abrupt vers le nord de cette rivière dans le nord de l'Alabama. Puis une génération suivante, qui a élu domicile dans le centre de la Géorgie, s'est installée à deux endroits près de la rivière Ocmulgee. Le plus petit village était à environ 5 miles au-dessous de la ville actuelle de Macon sur un vestige calcaire connu sous le nom de Brown's Mount. et attenant à sa limite orientale.

La caractéristique la plus importante qui distinguait ces personnes de leurs prédécesseurs, cependant, n'était pas leur ville mais leur mode de vie même. Ils étaient fermiers en plus du tabac, des citrouilles et des haricots, ils cultivaient le bâton de vie du Nouveau Monde, le maïs. Ce mode de vie leur a permis de s'installer en un lieu assez longtemps et en nombre suffisant pour créer un grand village, et de développer le complexe religieux et cérémonial qui s'exprimait dans ses nombreuses structures distinctives. Ils l'ont construit sur les hauteurs vallonnées au-dessus de la rivière, où leurs maisons carrées au toit de chaume étaient dispersées parmi les nombreux bâtiments liés à leur forme de culte. Ces derniers se composaient de structures rectangulaires en bois que nous appelons temples, et d'une chambre circulaire avec une charpente en bois recouverte d'argile qui était une forme de loge en terre. D'après notre connaissance du modèle indien ultérieur dans cette région, nous pensons qu'ils représentaient respectivement les temples d'été et d'hiver de la tribu. Ici, les hommes adultes participaient à des cérémonies religieuses et tenaient leurs conseils tribaux et ici, le chef pouvait rendre des décisions dans des différends individuels ou sur des questions d'importance pour la tribu dans son ensemble.


La photo dans le manuel original représentait des restes humains. Par respect pour les descendants des habitants d'Ocmulgee, la représentation de restes humains et d'objets funéraires ne sera pas affichée dans l'édition en ligne.
Une tombe en rondins et son emplacement central peuvent indiquer la sépulture principale dans la première étape du tertre funéraire. La position face vers le bas pourrait résulter du fait que les os réassemblés sont enveloppés dans une peau ou un tapis pour l'enterrement.


La photo dans le manuel original représentait des restes humains. Par respect pour les descendants des habitants d'Ocmulgee, la représentation de restes humains et d'objets funéraires ne sera pas affichée dans l'édition en ligne.
Des masses de perles de coquillages doivent avoir été des biens précieux de nombreux dignitaires du monticule du temple.

Peut-être que la seule caractéristique archéologique exceptionnelle à révéler par les fouilles d'Ocmulgee est le sol préservé et les parties inférieures de l'un de ces temples d'hiver. Les vestiges consistent en une section basse de mur d'argile délimitant une zone circulaire d'environ 42 pieds de diamètre. Au pied du mur, un banc d'argile bas d'environ 6 pouces de haut encercle la salle et est divisé en 47 sièges, séparés par une rampe d'argile basse. Chaque siège a un bassin peu profond formé dans son bord avant, et trois de ces bassins marquent des sièges sur la partie arrière d'une plate-forme d'argile qui interrompt le circuit du banc en face du long passage d'entrée.

Cette plate-forme, du côté ouest de la loge et s'étendant du mur presque jusqu'au foyer central en contrebas, est la caractéristique la plus remarquable de toutes. Légèrement plus haut que le banc, il forme une effigie d'aigle qui rappelle fortement un certain nombre de ces effigies gravées sur des plaques de cuivre qui font partie de l'attirail de la religion du culte du Sud, qui sera décrite dans une section ultérieure. La modélisation de la surface de la section effilée du corps a peut-être déjà été présente, mais elle est maintenant tellement oblitérée que seule une sorte d'effet festonné sur les épaules peut être discernée. Néanmoins, cette caractéristique est présente sur au moins deux des plaques mentionnées, l'une du site d'Etowah dans le nord de la Géorgie et l'autre du centre de l'Illinois. De plus, ces deux figures, qui représentent l'aigle tacheté, se distinguent par la même forme, presque carrée, du corps et des ailes avec seulement une légère conicité de leur base vers l'épaule. Enfin, la tête de l'aigle plate-forme est presque entièrement remplie d'une représentation claire de "l'œil fourchu", qui est également présenté, bien qu'à plus petite échelle, sur les deux figures en question, et est un symbole distinctif du culte méridional. L'ensemble de la salle d'apparat a été reconstruit sur la base des parties brûlées de l'original qui ont été découvertes par des fouilles. Il constitue l'une des principales pièces du monument et représente un trésor archéologique unique.


Quatorze marches d'argile, enterrées sous la construction d'un monticule ultérieur, menaient le versant ouest du premier monticule funéraire à son sommet.

D'autres structures découvertes comprenaient une petite hutte circulaire encadrée de poteaux et contenant une grande cheminée, hors de toute proportion avec la taille du bâtiment. Il s'agissait évidemment d'une suerie où la vapeur était produite en jetant de l'eau sur des pierres chauffées, mais on ne sait pas si cette forme courante de purification était liée à leur religion ou simplement à une caractéristique sanitaire de la vie du village. À l'extrémité ouest du village, les chefs de tribu et les chefs religieux étaient enterrés dans de grandes tombes en rondins où de un à sept corps, peut-être ceux d'épouses et de serviteurs, étaient déposés avec des masses de perles de coquillage et d'autres ornements dignes de leur rang. Sur l'ensemble a été élevé un monticule bas à sommet plat avec 14 marches d'argile menant au sommet.


La poterie à usage quotidien était simple mais bien faite et se présentait dans une grande variété de formes agréables. Diamètre du pot à droite, 14 pouces.

A côté de leur grand centre religieux prospère, nous pouvons reconstituer de nombreux aspects de leur vie quotidienne dans lesquels les Maîtres Fermiers étaient différents de leurs prédécesseurs. Cette différence est notée dans leurs outils, leurs armes et leurs ustensiles ménagers. Ceux-ci ont survécu parce qu'ils étaient faits de matériaux aussi durables que la pierre et la poterie. Les nombreuses pointes de projectiles plus petites qui font maintenant leur apparition suggèrent que l'arc et la flèche étaient d'usage général à cette époque. Une portée et une précision accrues ont été avancées comme raisons possibles pour l'adoption de cette arme à la place du lanceur de lance et de la fléchette, qui ont précédé l'arc dans la plupart des régions du monde. Peut-être tout aussi important était une augmentation des troubles et des conflits tribaux qui ont rendu une plus grande quantité de missiles relativement petits et légers plus efficaces dans les brèves escarmouches de la guerre indienne que deux ou trois des fléchettes les plus volumineuses. En ce qui concerne leurs autres équipements, étonnamment peu d'outils en os ont été conservés mais cela peut être dû à leur plus grande utilisation de la canne, qui était très efficace pour les couteaux, poinçons et autres outils mais n'a pas duré aussi bien que l'os. Des preuves ont également été trouvées pour montrer qu'ils fabriquaient et utilisaient de la vannerie et un simple type de tissu à tissage retors.

Les poteries obtenues lors de fouilles ont déjà fait l'objet d'études approfondies en raison de l'importance reconnue de ce marqueur temporel pour l'archéologue. C'est ici que nous trouvons l'une des différences les plus notables entre ces peuples de la vallée du Mississippi et les tribus indigènes de Géorgie dont la poterie s'était développée selon des lignes très différentes pendant quelques milliers d'années ou plus. Désormais) à la place des nombreuses rugosités de surface qui ont marqué l'histoire de cette dernière, les surfaces planes deviennent la règle. Les formes de pots ont des fonds arrondis, sont souvent aussi larges que hautes ou plus larges, et montrent une tendance aux ouvertures resserrées. Une forme courante a un épaulement droit et incliné qui se transforme assez soudainement à partir du contour du corps arrondi du pot. Sa pente peut se poursuivre sans modification de la jante, mais le plus souvent elle se retournera vers le haut pour former une légère lèvre ou même un col court. Ceux-ci contrastent avec les jarres profondes de la période précédente dans laquelle la bouche, quel que soit le traitement du col ou de la jante, tend presque à égaler le plus grand diamètre, et dans laquelle la base est conoïde, i. e., arrondi au moins à la suggestion d'un point.


Les figures d'argile qui ornaient souvent les bords des bols ouverts représentaient toutes sortes de créatures à la fois réelles et imaginaires. Environ un tiers de la taille réelle.

Bien sûr, les Maîtres Fermiers fabriquaient aussi d'autres types de poterie. Certains étaient des bols ouverts, et d'autres avaient un bord incurvé qui répétait gracieusement la courbe de la partie inférieure juste en dessous du ventre. Il y avait aussi des pots profonds à parois droites avec des parois extrêmement épaisses et de grands bols peu profonds de plusieurs pieds de diamètre qui ont été appelés marais salants parce que l'on croyait que le type était parfois utilisé dans la fabrication de cette substance. En fait, ils étaient probablement le grand bol de nourriture familial d'usage courant également à une époque ultérieure. Les impressions d'un tissu en tissu retors sur les surfaces extérieures de ce dernier, quelques marques de corde et une rayure grossière ou un autre traitement des côtés du premier étaient des exceptions à la règle générale des surfaces lisses pendant cette période.


Les bouteilles à effigie étaient généralement une poterie de qualité supérieure et accompagnaient généralement les enterrements. Le trou dans la figure humaine est dans le crâne, le visage est peint tandis que le corps est rouge et les cheveux sont d'un brun naturel d'argile. Diamètre de la bouteille, 5-5/16 pouces.

À la place de la décoration de surface, cependant, nous trouvons une autre forme d'élaboration qui est un peu moins courante mais tout aussi distinctive. This is the attempt to depict some form, either natural or supernatural, in the body of the vessel or attached to it in some way as an independent figure. Small heads suggesting a fox or an owl or some night creature with big staring eyes grow out of the rim of a bowl and peer into it. The small handles which are fairly common on the straight-shouldered jars often have two little earlike knobs at the top and knobs and bosses with more or less modeling of the body of the pot are frequently used to represent gourds or squashes or some other vegetable which is not easy to identify. One curious style of jar has a neck which is closed at the top, something like a gourd, but has an opening about an inch in diameter below this on the side. Modeling at the top suggests ears, a style of hair arrangement, or some other human or animal feature that gives rise to the name, "blank-faced effigy bottle."

In time, other changes began to mark the village of the Master Farmers. The temples, built originally at ground level, were rebuilt occasionally and with the leveling of the old building to make way for the new the surrounding ground surface was raised at first into a small platform. Gradually this platform was increased in height and size until the mound at the south side of the village was some 300 feet broad at the base and almost 50 feet high. The other temple mounds grew in a similar fashion but were either started later or were less important and so never achieved as great a size. The earthlodges, too, were sometimes rebuilt and often on the same site but no attempt was made to increase their elevation. The funeral mound, however, followed the pattern of the others and in each new layer of the seven there were fresh burials of the village leaders, and on top of each a new wooden structure which may have been connected with the preparation of the dead for their final rites. In the later stages, too, the flat summit area was surrounded by an enclosure of wooden posts.


The structure atop the funeral mound may have been for preparing corpses for burial. From Museum exhibit.

At the northwest corner of the village lay a cultivated field which surrounded the site of one of the earlier temples. This was no ordinary field since most of these must have lain in the bottom land below the village. From its position, then, could we infer some sacred purpose, possibly to create an offering to the spirits, or by the power in its seed absorbed from the surroundings to increase the yield of the villagers' crops? In any case, the mounds for succeeding structures were gradually raised above it and by this act the rows were buried and thus preserved as conclusive proof of the advanced state of culture which the Master Farmers had achieved.


This series of cultivated rows buried beneath the fill of later mound construction confirms our belief that the temple mound builders lived mainly by farming.

The construction of all these mounds and earthlodges required a large amount of material as well as innumerable man-hours of labor. Two series of great linked pits, averaging about 7 feet deep and 18 by 40 feet in area, seem to indicate that the earth was obtained immediately outside the main village limits, for they have been traced around considerable portions of its north and south borders. They do not enclose the entire area occupied by the temple mounds, though, because at least three of these mounds lie outside their confines today others were destroyed in the construction of Fort Hawkins and the adjacent portions of East Macon a little farther to the north. It is not unlikely that the irregular ditches formed by these pits served also as a protection against raids on the village for otherwise, why would their course have outlined the village area so closely?

All the evidence, then, points to the existence here at Ocmulgee of a town of Indians who lived in a state of culture as advanced in some respects as any to be found north of Mexico. We see a prosperous community devoted chiefly to the yearly round of activities designed to cement its relationship with the powerful unseen forces on which its well-being depended. Not too much work was required with the abundant rainfall on this fertile soil to raise the principal food supply for an entire family. The men, like all later Indians, hunted to supply the meat for their diet but they had plenty of free time to devote to the construction and repair of the town's several temple buildings. Here they gathered at stated intervals to go through the time-honored ritual first taught to their fathers by the very spirits themselves, those spirits which gave man the fish and the game and finally the wonderful gift of the corn plant. All of these gifts and many more must be accepted with reverence and treated according to the rules established for their proper use otherwise the spirits would be offended, the game would disappear, and the fields would wither and die.


General view of excavations northeast of ceremonial earthlodge, showing portion of trench surrounding the village.

Of all the annual round of ceremonies the most important was that in honor of the deity whose gift of corn had the miraculous power to renew itself every year. The summer temple, then, was the scene of the year's biggest festival when the new crop was ripe. All the fires of the village were put out and after the men had fasted and purified themselves with the sacred drink, the new fire was lit and offered with the first of the new corn to the Master of Breath. With this act the sins of the past year were forgiven, and the town entered upon a new year with rejoicing. But ever so often the temple needed to be rebuilt, perhaps at the death of the chief priest, who may at the same time have been the chief of the town as well. This called for a mound to be built or the old one to be enlarged and raised higher as a mark of extra devotion and every man must have given his allotment of working days to complete the project, even if several years were required before it was finished. For the new mound was proof to the divine forces of how much their gifts had been appreciated, and a plea that their favor might continue and the town prosper. Also it was proof to all the surrounding tribes of the wealth and strength of the village which was able to erect and maintain these large structures and at the same time to live in plenty and defend itself from its enemies.


Ungrooved ax, or celt, of the temple mound builders

Much of this reconstruction depends heavily on our knowledge of the later tribes of the Southeast and on broader analogies as well. Archeological proof does not exist for much that we have inferred. Yet we know that what we find here could not have been built by villagers living at the level of bare subsistence. Economic surplus was essential, and we know the Indians had the corn with which to create it. Strong leadership was needed to carry such large projects to completion and with it there must have been a social and religious class system to organize the economic and priestly functions of such a community. The temple priests and their assistants and retainers would have formed a rather numerous class with high status in a society so clearly impressed with the importance of the physical expression of its religious ideas. Wealth and power may likewise have rested with a specialized warrior class which controlled the governing function of the group, or it may be that these were combined with the religious duties of the priestly class. Whatever the system employed, several hundred unusually important individuals given special burial in the Funeral Mound attest to the distinctions which existed. Class differences of this sort are the most common basis for a high degree of social and political control and Ocmulgee is a good example of the real attainments of some American Indians along these lines.

In spite of the relatively large amount of information we have about them, however, we know surprisingly little of the ultimate fate of the Master Farmers. We do know that these first bearers of an alien culture from the Mississippi Valley did not persist very long in the area in terms of its previous history. Within 200 years the busy village was deserted, only to be visited by an occasional traveling band descended from the Early Farmers who had lived on in nearby sections. We do not know even whether the last occupants left here in a body to settle elsewhere, whether they gradually died off, whether they were absorbed into the surrounding population, or whether they were finally exterminated by neighbors who had themselves developed large settled communities capable of effective military action. Other ideas came to Georgia from the Mississippi Valley, but Ocmulgee lay silent and was passed by. Only in the last chapter of Indian history in this State was the site again reoccupied for a brief time. Here at the end, to be described in our final chapter, we find the Creek Indians once more living among the haunts of their ancestors.


Ocmulgee River Corridor SRS

The National Park Service (NPS) is conducting a Special Resource Study of the Ocmulgee River Corridor between Macon and Hawkinsville, Georgia. The John D. Dingell, Jr. Conservation, Management, and Recreation Act of 2019 (Dingell Act) directed the Secretary of the Interior to complete the study, the purpose of which is to identify whether the Ocmulgee River Corridor meets specific criteria to be recommended for potential inclusion as a unit of the national park system.

The study area incorporates a corridor of approximately 50 river miles touching the Georgia counties of Bibb, Twiggs, Houston, Bleckley, and Pulaski. Major public land holdings in the area include Ocmulgee Mounds National Historical Park the Bond Swamp National Wildlife Refuge Robins Air Force Base and the Echeconnee Creek, Oaky Woods, and Ocmulgee State Wildlife Management Areas. There are also several public river landings. Much of the property in the study area is undeveloped, whether it is in private or public ownership.

The river corridor includes a rich human history, with archaeological resources dating from the Paleoindian Period through World War II. Particularly significant are extensive American Indian resources including Mississippian mound sites, and sites associated with Muscogee (Creek) heritage and history. The river corridor is comprised mostly of bottomland hardwood forest and swamp, with some upland forest in the terraces above the floodplain. Diverse wildlife in the area include black bears, white-tailed deer, wood ducks, alligators, wild turkey, and many species of waterfowl.

The 1998 National Parks Omnibus Management Act (54 United States Code 100507) established the process for identifying and authorizing studies of new national park units. A study area must meet four criteria to be recommended as an addition to the national park system. These criteria include: 1) national significance, 2) suitability, 3) feasibility, and 4) need for NPS management. The study process is linear, and each of the four criteria are evaluated sequentially. If the study finds that the river corridor does not meet one of the criteria, the study will not evaluate the subsequent criteria.

While the NPS is conducting the study, the designation of national park units is ultimately the purview of Congress and the President. The purpose of the study is solely to evaluate the area and report to Congress.

Currently, the NPS is synthesizing public comment on the study. More can be learned about the study process and the resources of the study by visiting the study's informational website (see the "Ocmulgee River Corridor Storymap" under the Links tab to the left).

The Dingell Act provides for a three-year time frame to complete the study. Once the report is received by Congress, it will be made available to the public.


Great Temple Mound

Built between 900 - 1100 AD, The Great Temple Mound originally had a dirt ramp that led to a prominent structure built on the top of the mound. Today, travel to the top of the Great Temple Mound for a great view of Downtown Macon.


National Park Getaway: Ocmulgee National Monument

The Earth Lodge is one of seven surviving earthen mounds originally built by the Mississippian culture more than 1,000 years ago.

In the heart of Georgia lies a place that has been settled for 17,000 years. Ocmulgee National Monument’s human history dates to the Paleo-Indian Period, and the area was occupied until the Muscogee (Creek) removal in 1826. Upon arrival at the Visitor Center, you will see over 2,000 artifacts on display, including a Clovis Point spear head dating to 10,000 BCE, earthen pottery made around 3,500 BCE, and European dishware from the 1700s CE.

Ocmulgee is home to the largest archeological dig in American history, with more than 3 million artifacts found by 800 Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers in the 1930s. Four different prehistoric cultures inhabited this area before European settlement in the late 1500s. One such group was the Mississippians, who constructed earth mounds for their elite members of society beginning around 900 CE. Their structures survive to this day, attracting visitors worldwide to the park.

Objects in the museum collection, including a Clovis point (left) and shell gorget (right), provide clues to ways of life representing 17,000 years of human history.

As you explore the park and cross the bridge leading toward the Earth Lodge, you will step back in time. The Earth Lodge floor is 1,000 years old and served as the council chamber used by the Mississippians for meetings and ceremonies. Try to imagine yourself sitting in one of the 50 seats discussing important issues of your day 1,000 years ago.

When you leave the Earth Lodge, you will walk toward the Great Temple Mound and across a railroad bridge to a large field. This area served as an ancient ball field where games like stickball and chunkey were played. Walk past the site of the British Trading Post that was occupied from 1690 to 1715, where the Muscogee (Creek) Indians traded animal skins for European goods such as bells, glass beads, and muskets.

The annual Ocmulgee Indian Celebration brings together craftsmen, dancers, storytellers, and living history demonstrators to celebrate and share their heritage with thousands of visitors.

When you arrive on top of the Great Temple Mound, you will see downtown Macon, Georgia, toward the southwest and hear the roar of cars from the interstate. However, imagine being on top of the mound 1000 years ago. What would you have seen? What would you have heard? A bustling village along the Ocmulgee River with a population of 2,000 people busily going about their day. The men would have been fishing, hunting, and building mounds while the women were making baskets, pottery, and growing crops. You would hear people talking, singing, and laughing as they went about their daily activities. Today only 7 mounds remain for visitors to experience the culture that once thrived here.

The park is self-guided, so visitors can walk or drive to the Great Temple Mound and explore 6 miles of nature trails. Many visitors prefer to visit in the spring and autumn when the humidity is low. During the third weekend in September the park hosts its annual Indian Celebration. During this most popular event of the year, over 200 American Indians share their history and culture with visitors.


Ocmulgee Bottoms in Recorded History

On March 3, 1540, the Hernando de Soto Expedition departed a Native town in the Florida Panhandle. 1 Contemporary scholars labeled the indigenous people in this region, the Apalachee. Actually, according to 17 th century ethnologist, Charles de Rochefort, they called themselves the Tula-halwase (Tallahassee) which means, “Offspring from Highland Towns.” 2 The real Apalache lived in northern Georgia. The Florida Apalachee began as a colony. One of their towns was named Apalache, so the Spanish gave that name to the whole province. This was a common practice by the Spanish. The coastal province of Guale named after a village of the same name on St. Catherines Island, GA. 3

When the expedition reached a river, De Soto ordered that they build a crude boat, which ferried the conquistadors, their horses and their swine to the other side. From there the expedition marched into the Chickasawhatchee Swamp, which was in the Province of Capachequi (Spanish) or Kvpeceke (Muskogee-Creek.) The word means “Wood Ash Lye People” and is still a Creek clan in Oklahoma. 4

From Capachequi, the Spaniards headed northward until they reached a major river, which is now presumed to be the Ocmulgee. 1 This was in the Province of Toasi (Offspring of Toa) With great difficulty, they ferried their men and animals across this river and entered the capital town of Toa. De Soto’s chroniclers described the town as being much better planned that Florida indigenous communities and also having more substantial architecture.

The expedition traveled northwestward along the Ocmulgee, passing through several small villages, until it arrived at a town, whose occupants had fled. 5 Meat was still cooking on a barbecoa. Continuing northward along the river they came to a large town on an island, which was the capital of the Province of Ichesi (Spanish), In Itsate Creek this could be interpreted as either Icesi ou Itsesi . Depending on the interpretation of the Europeanized word, the word could mean either “Children of Corn” or “Offspring of the Itza.” 6 The people in this town were friendly so De Soto ordered a cross hewn from wood and placed on the top of a mound in the center of the town.

French Huguenot Expeditions

In 1564 and 1565, Captain René de Laudonnière, commander of Fort Caroline, dispatched at least six expeditions to explore the interior Florida Française (Georgia). 7 Several went northwestward up the May River in search of mountains that were described by coastal natives as containing gold and silver. Several Frenchmen were in northern or central Georgia when Fort Caroline was massacred by the Spanish in September of 1565.

The indigenous people living immediately south of Lake Tama were described as the Onithea-koa or Onithea People. “Koa” is an Arawak and northern South American suffix for “people.” 8 Those living north of Lake Tama were described as the Maya-koa, or Maya People.

The reader should understand, however, the Maya Indians as a whole, never called themselves Maya. This ethnic name was derived from the name of a province on the northwest tip of the Yucatan Peninsula, named Maiam. The Castilian letter “y” is pronounced like an English “ē.” It is significant, however, that the Province of Maiam was established by initially illiterate Itza Maya invaders around 1000 AD. The original capital was Chichen Itza, but later became Maiapan. 9 Maiapan was still the capital in 1500.

Richard Brigstock Expedition

In 1653, Royalist Barbados was under siege by a fleet dispatched by the English Commonwealth. 29 Royalist Richard Brigstock led a small party to visit the European colony in the Kingdom of Apalache in Northern Georgia. 30 English Catholic, Edward Bland, had visited the same region in 1646, but no chronicles of his visit have yet been discovered. 31

Brigstock did not provide Charles de Rochefort with any eyewitness descriptions of the Ocmulgee Bottoms, but did relate what the High King of Apalache said about its history. The Paracusa of Apalache said that the original homeland of the Apalache was in the region around Lake Tama, i.e. Ocmulgee Bottoms. 32 He said that his people were attacked by the Kofitachete and they had to temporarily abandon the region. This might explain the sudden abandonment of the acropolis at Ocmulgee around 1150 AD. The Apalache called the Ocmulgee Bottoms, the Province of Amana. The Kofitachete had eventually agreed to settle east of Amana. This is probably the province of Cofita, mentioned in the De Soto Chronicles. Amana was re-settled by a different people, probably the Ichisi, but they recognized the Paracusa of Apalache as their High King.

Late 17 th century Carolina traders

Within a relatively short period after Carolina was colonized in 1670, traders made contact with the Native People living on the Ocmulgee River. Those living in the Ocmulgee Bottoms were called Ochesee (the Ichisi of De Soto.) Those living north of the Fall Line were called the Ocmulgee (Oka-mole-ke = Water Swirling People.) 33 The corridor south of Ocmulgee Bottoms, including the Forks of the Altamaha (confluence of the Ocmulgee and Oconee River) was the Province of Tama, occupied by a people called either the Tamate, Tamatli or the Tamale. These words are the various ways of saying Merchant People in Itza Maya, Nahuatl and Huastec. South of Tama was the lands of the Yamasee Confederacy.

In the late 17 th century, the Ocmulgee River was called by the Muskogee-Creek name, Auchesi-hachi, which means Ochesee River in English. 34 At that time, “creek” meant a slow moving river in English. It still does in England. So Carolinians began calling the Native villages on the Middle Ocmulgee, the Ochesee Creeks, eventually shortening the name to Creek Indians. However, that word did not appear until around 1738.

In 1690 a fortified trading post was built by the Carolinians on the former Great Plaza of the Ocmulgee acropolis. 35 This became a focal point for trading activities between the Ochesee Creeks and Carolina. The Native American slave trade was in its heyday. Muskogeans would bring captured Indians, who were allies of France or Spain to the fort, along with furs and deerskins. These would be traded for European manufactured goods, such as muskets, lead balls, cloth and cast iron cooking pots.

Smallpox Plague of 1696

A horrific smallpox plague swept through the Piedmont and mountains of Carolina in 1696. 36 During this era, all of present day northern Georgia and the portion of Georgia north of the Altamaha River were considered part of Carolina. North and South Carolina had not been created either. Death rates of 90% to almost 100% were experienced among some Carolina Piedmont tribes. It can be presumed that similar population losses were experience in northeastern and eastern Georgia. This bacteriological holocaust came on the heels of 30 years of Native American slave raids. The impact was to virtually depopulate the countryside. The Kingdom of Apalache in Northeast Georgia completely disappeared from the maps after 1701. Some Apalachee remained in what is now Gwinnett County. The Apalachee River, a tributary of the Oconee River, is named after them.

Queen Anne’s War (1701-1707)

Great Britain became involved in a war on the mainland of Europe, which spilled over into North America. Spain attempted to strike the first blow by sending a force of 800 Spanish soldiers and Native American mercenaries through Southwest Georgia. 37 The Spanish intended to destroy the trading post fort at Ochesee and then strike Charleston from its back door. The Apalachicola Creeks and Chickasaws in southwest Georgia hated the Spaniards. They set up a camp on the Flint River, making it look like they were asleep then hid out. The Spaniards were lured into attacking the empty camp. Most of the Spanish force was killed when the Apalachicola Creeks and Chickasaws came out of hiding and surrounded the Spaniards.

In 1704, Colonel James Moore traveled from Charleston to Fort Ochesee with 50 men and gathered together 1,000 Muskogean warriors for an invasion of northern Florida. 38 The force virtually exterminated the Apalachee Mission system. Some Apalache immediately joined the Creek-British force and helped fight the Spanish. However, at least 3,000 pro-Spanish Apalache were taken back in chains to Charleston and sold into slavery. Most of the Florida Apalachee slaves lived short brutal lives on Caribbean sugar plantations.

John Beresford Map (1715)

When tensions were increasing on the Southeast, a Carolina militia officer, John Beresford, prepared a sketch map of the Native American tribes and French forts in the Southeast. 39 It included an estimate of the number of men of military age in each tribe – or in the case of the proto-Creeks, each town. The population of Ocmulgee Bottoms was miniscule, compared to what it had been in earlier times. His estimate was as follows: Westo-15, Taskeke-60, Coweta-30, Sawake-20 and Attate-20. There is no mention on the map of either the Ochesee or the Ocmulgee bands. The region apparently was devastated by repeated plagues. This is the first map to mention a word similar to Cherokee. It showed 200 Charakey warriors in extreme NW South Carolina and 800 Charakey warriors in extreme northeast Tennessee. It is obvious that the Cherokees had nothing like the population of 30,000 now claimed by contemporary Cherokee tourist literature.

Yamasee War (1715-1717)

On the evening of April 24, 1715 four Carolina colonial representatives were tortured to death by their hosts at the Yamasee town of Pocotaligo. 40 Soon thereafter Yamasee armies swept through the Carolina Low Country, killing hundreds of men, women and children. Almost simultaneous the Ochesee Creeks attack to the trading post fort on the Macon Plateau, killed its occupants and burned the fort. Soon after that, a combined force of Catawba and Cherokee warriors massacred two South Carolina militia units sent to suppress them. However, the Ochesee Creeks hesitated to attack South Carolina until they were certain of the direction that the war was taking. Meanwhile, about 90 out of the 100 South Carolina Indian traders in the Southeast were killed.

In December of 1715, a delegation of “Creek” leaders was invited to the neutral Yuchi town of Tugaloo for a diplomatic conference. 41 All historical markers and Cherokee histories call Tugaloo a Cherokee town, but ALL maps of the early 1700s label it a Hogeloge (Yuchi) town. 42 It is not clear, who these “Creek” leaders were, because neither the word Creek Indian, nor the Creek Confederacy existed in 1715. In fact, 1715 is the first year that even the word Charakey is seen in a British document.

The version of events at Tugaloo most commonly seen in online media is that 12 “Creek” leaders were killed in an argument. 43 The Cherokees then switched from being enemies of South Carolina to allies. The Creek version of events was that 32 “Creek” leaders were killed in their sleep then the Cherokees swept through northeast Georgia capturing Creek lands. History does verify that 40 years later the Koweta Creeks executed 32 Cherokee chiefs then declared the Creek-Cherokee War over. 44

Because of the lost of leaders and the Cherokee switch to the British side, the Muskogeans in Georgia did not play a major role in the Yamasee War, and soon sued for peace again with South Carolina. 45 During the war, most of the Muskogean towns and village in eastern and central Georgia relocated to the Chattahoochee River. Those in western North Carolina relocated to southwest Georgia. By then the Cherokees had achieved “most favored” status and the Creeks would have secondary priority for access to munitions until Georgia was founded in 1733.

Colonel John Barnwell Map (1722)

1721 Barnwell Map of Southeast America. Used with permission of Yale University and People of One Fire.

This map was prepared after the King George I revoked the charter of the Carolina Proprietors and made South Carolina and North Carolina separate Crown colonies. On the map Barnwell renamed the May River, the Altamaha or King George River, to assert British claims to what is now southern Georgia. [See Barnwell map as part of this article.]

On his map Barnwell wrote that “The Ochesee Creeks deserted the Ocmulgee River and now live on the Chattahoochee River.” Still living in the Ocmulgee Bottoms were the Taskeke, Colima, Attate and Coweta Indians. Obviously, they were not considered Ochesee Creeks in 1722.

Founding of the Colony of Georgia (1733)

Relations between the British colonists and the Creek Indians were excellent from the start. While the Creeks always distrusted the South Carolinians, they considered the Georgians to be their closest allies and best friends. 46 Many of the conferences between the leaders of the young colony occurred either at Indian Springs, north of the Ocmulgee Bottoms or in the vicinity of the mounds of the ancient town site on the Macon Plateau.

The Ochesee Creeks on the Chattahoochee River no longer were dominant in what was now a full-fledged Creek Confederacy, except that it was called the Coweta Confederacy and Coweta was the word typically used for Creek Indian by both the British and the French. Oglethorpe founded the town of Augusta within Creek territory in order to dominate the Indian trade in the Southeast. It was considered an “Indian town” in which members of all tribes were free to walk around and socialize with the locals.

Visit by General James Edward Oglethorpe (1739)

Governor Oglethorpe traveled the trading path through the mounds and old cultivated fields at Ocmulgee on his way to Coweta which was then near present day Carrollton. Here he met Creek leaders. One of his Rangers wrote a short description of what is now Ocmulgee National Monument. 47

Map by Emmanuel Bowen (1747)

This was the first British produced map to show all of the territory that would eventually become the State of Georgia after the founding of the Colony of Georgia. [See map attached to this article.] It showed Ocmulgee Bottoms occupied by the Kaonita, Kowetas, Taskeke, Echete (Itsate), Colima and Attasees. The Echete (Itsate) were shown on the 1715 Beredford Map as occupying the northeast corner of Georgie. Apparently, most did not want to be part of the Cherokee Alliance. All but one of the Echete villages in NE Georgia disappeared from subsequent maps. The Cowetas were originally from Northeast Georgia and the section of the North Carolina Mountains, east of Franklin, NC. Perhaps these were some of the tribes invited to the conference at Tugaloo.

John Mitchell Map (1755)

This famous map only shows the Koweta and Echete still living in Ocmulgee Bottoms, but there may have been other villages that Mitchell was not aware of. He lived in England. 48

William Bartram (1774)

The famous map of North America published by John Mitchell in 1755 precisely notes the locations of Creek and Alabama villages on the Alabama and Chattahoochee River systems.

Bartram traveled on the Lower Creek Trading Path from Augusta through Ocmulgee Bottoms on his way to visit Tuckabatchee. 49 He recorded his visit in his journal, which later in his life, became his famous book.

“On the heights of these low grounds are yet visible monuments, or traces, of an ancient town, such as artificial mounts or terraces, squares and banks, encircling considerable areas. Their old fields and planting land extend up and down the river, fifteen or twenty miles from this site. If we are to give credit to the account the Creeks give of themselves, this place is remarkable for being the first town or settlement, when they sat down (as they term it) or established themselves, after their emigration from the west.”

First Treaty of Washington (1805)

After much pressure from Georgia officials and Thomas Jefferson, the Creek Confederacy ceded the remainder of their land between the Oconee and Ocmulgee Rivers. 50 The Creeks refused to give up the ruins of the ancient town in Ocmulgee Bottoms that the Creeks called Waka-te. The treaty excluded a 3 by 5 mile strip known as the Old Ocmulgee Fields Reserve.

The treaty allowed the United States to construct a road across the Creek Nation to the Alabama River now known as the Alabama Road. It also allowed both Creeks and white men to build facilities for public accommodations along this road. Much of this “Federal Road” follows the ancient Lower Creek Trading Path and eventually stretches from Washington, D.C. to New Orleans. The treaty also provided for a US Army fort to be built on the Reserve to guard the frontier along the Ocmulgee River. Almost immediately after the treaty was announced, real estate speculators and squatters occupied most of the Ocmulgee Reserve. 51 Most of the Ocmulgee Reserve was quickly and illegally subdivided.

Fort Hawkins (1806)

Fort Hawkins was constructed on a hill immediately north of some mounds in 1806. 52 It is now known that that this location was the site of a satellite village of the Ocmulgee Acropolis. Fort Hawkins was never assaulted, because most Georgia Creeks developed cultural ties with their white neighbors. Instead, it served as an administrative center for Federal activities in the lower Southeast. Fort Hawkins was used as a staging site for army units destined to combat the Red Stick Creeks in Alabama, during the War of 1812. For the entirety of its existence as a federal facility, it sat on land technically owned by the Creek Confederacy. The land was not offered back to the Creeks, when the fort was closed.

Treaty of Indian Springs (1825)

Mixed-heritage Creek leader, William McIntosh, along with a few close friends, who included two mixed-heritage sons of Federal Indian agent, Benjamin Hawkins, arranged to make a treaty with the State of Georgia that ceded all Creek lands in Georgia, including the Ocmulgee Reserve. 53 The Creek signers of the treaty put in provisions that gave them one square mile reserves, which they planned to subdivide. In addition they paid themselves for signing the treaty. The small group of signers did not have authority to sign any treaty and ironically broke a law that McIntosh had earlier voted for, which proscribed the death penalty for those illegally giving away Creek land.

Congress considered the treaty fraudulent and refused to ratify it. In the mean time there was chaos in Georgia as the state had gone ahead and surveyed out land lots. Squatters moved in while Creek families still lived on their farms. Many mixed-blood Creeks had opted to keep their lands and become citizens of the State of Georgia. Christian Creeks were banned from most Creek towns.

Treaty of Washington City (1827)

Members of the Creek National Council signed this legitimate treaty in Washington, DC, which ceded all Creek lands in Georgia. 54 It did not specifically mention the Ocmulgee Reserve, whose original legal description stated that it would be owned in perpetuity regardless of other future land cessions by the Creek Confederacy. However, the signers of the document, representing the United States and State of Georgia, assumed that the reserve no longer existed. Fort Hawkins had been abandoned in 1824, so the federal government had no need of the land.


Mark Andy Equipment

Mark Andy and our trusted portfolio of brands have set the standard in innovative technologies in the print industry. We have a legacy of building reliable, productive equipment designed to increase profitability. With a broad range of equipment, you can depend on us to have the solution for any printing and converting objective, supporting every application, every time.

Featured Products

Digital Series HD

A configurable production-class digital press pairing premium quality and high speeds for any label application need, now and into the future.

Performance Series

The Mark Andy Performance Series press line increases profitability for the simplest to most complex label applications.

Digital Plus Screen

A rail-mounted digital print bar that replaces conventional rotary screen units at half the operating cost.

Our Technologies

Flexographic Printing Solutions

Industry-leading flexographic presses

Digital Presses

The best of digital and flexo in a single machine

Press Upgrades

Retrofit solutions to enhance equipment

Pre-Owned Equipment

Used equipment certified by Mark Andy

Supplemental Equipment

Supporting solutions for production efficiency

Rotoflex Finishing Equipment

Inspection, rewind and finishing technology powered by Rotoflex

Offset Printing Presses

Presstek printing technologies for commercial print applications

Testimonials

Everything from start to finish was coordinated with Mark Andy. Both our team and Mark Andy’s were very methodical and did a great job. It was fantastic it was real teamwork – like we were one company.

- Great Lakes Label, Grand Rapids, Michigan Read More Testimonials

We have committed fully to Mark Andy because we see them as a no risk investment for the bulk of our business.

Flexo technology is perfect for our product portfolio here, and Mark Andy manufactures the best narrow web press for day to day production, in my opinion. We are very proud to work with them and grateful for their ongoing support.

We had a Mark Andy technician onsite throughout the entire installation and startup process, and the support hasn’t stopped there. The caliber of service has been amazing.

- Jeff Jaynes, Label Solutions Read More Testimonials

We value our partnership with Mark Andy and have truly experienced their total solutions offering. Their comprehensive understanding of and involvement with the entire printing workflow continues to impress us.

- Jan Greis, U.S. Tape and Label Read More Testimonials

The sales process was very satisfactory. From when we first requested a quote to the configuration consultancy to the demo at Mark Andy, all the way through the press build the organization was excellent.

- Juan Carlos Arroyave, Etipress Read More Testimonials

We haven’t had one plate lift incident. Plates even sat for a week before going back on press and still no lifting. Consider me switched to tesa thanks to Mark Andy Print Products expertise.

Mark Andy didn’t just sell us a press, they sold us a future.

- Neil Doniger, Nadco Tapes & Labels Read More Testimonials

We looked at four or five different manufacturers but chose Mark Andy because of their history and commitment to the label industry.

We have relied on Mark Andy flexo presses for years and felt they were the best company to understand the digital needs of a label converter.


Voir la vidéo: Macon - Georgia - 4K Downtown Drive (Décembre 2021).